LTE Advanced Questions

According to this website, " http://gigaom.com/2011/10/25/sprint-plans-lte-advanced-deployment-for-2013/ " Sprint plans on release LTE Advanced in a 10x10 deployment on the 800Mhz spectrum.

Question 1: I know that current phones don't support LTE on 800Mhz, but will current phones like the EVO 4G LTE and SGS 3 be able to access the faster speeds of a 10x10 network?

Question 2: Will they have to do a hardware upgrade on the tower to go from 5x5 to 10x10?

According to this website, " http://gigaom.com/20...yment-for-2013/ " Sprint plans on release LTE Advanced in a 10x10 deployment on the 800Mhz spectrum.

Question 1: I know that current phones don't support LTE on 800Mhz, but will current phones like the EVO 4G LTE and SGS 3 be able to access the faster speeds of a 10x10 network?

Question 2: Will they have to do a hardware upgrade on the tower to go from 5x5 to 10x10?

That article is over a year old. Things a lot since then.

Sprint does not have enough 800 to do a 10x10 on it. It will likely aggregate one 5x5 on 800 with one on 1900 to get 10x10.

If the tower is broadcasting the frequencies required, then they only need to add the proper channels to the cabinet.

But I think that was the plan prior to softbank deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the new deal is 20mhz TD LTE on all the urban/suburban towers for 70+Mbps speeds using clearwire's spectrum. Son talked about Americans having slow Internet speeds.

• Like 1