Softbank (Son) is gunning for the big guys

bigsnake49

From an interview with Bloomberg:

“So if I didn’t have any interesting strategy, I wouldn’t bet $20 billion” on Sprint, he said.

........................................................................................................................................

While Son said he considered investments in companies outside the U.S., Sprint was the best choice because it has the ability to challenge Verizon Wireless and AT&T’s dominance of the U.S. mobile-phone industry. The Softbank investment will give Sprint the capital to pay down debt, invest in its network or continue to make deals in the U.S. wireless industry.

“Anything you can think of, I have thought about,” Son said. “Don’t rule out anything.”

Softbank, based in Tokyo, will provide $8 billion in new capital as part of the deal to bolster Sprint, the third-largest U.S. wireless operator. Sprint, which has said it will play a role in industry consolidation, previously had to pass on chances to grow because of its weak balance sheet.

“We will no longer need to forgo investment opportunities. We have the flexibility that we just never had before,” Hesse said in the interview. “We are not on the sidelines. This deal does not stop us from doing anything.”

“I would have never invested even $1,000 if AT&T had successfully acquired T-Mobile, because then that’s ‘game over’” with a stronger duopoly forming, Son said. “If it had happened, I wouldn’t come to this market.”

http://www.bloomberg...t-purchase.html

So what do you think his strategy is? I daresay that it's not just finishing NV.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 7

This would be my strategy..

50$ unlimited voice/text

50$ unlimited data

40$ unlimited tethering

30$ unlimited 4g tablets/other devices

40$ each additional phone (unlimited voice/txt/data included)

Edited by dedub

• 2 weeks later...

100MB download and 50MB uploads speeds.

With the huge amount of Clearwire spectrum Sprint will have control of?

I can see this as a possibility.

I want to see the Big Two answer to this

If it happens?

Sent from my Coconut Wireless

• Like 1

100MB download and 50MB uploads speeds.

With the huge amount of Clearwire spectrum Sprint will have control of?

I can see this as a possibility.

I want to see the Big Two answer to this

If it happens?

AT&T may or may not be able to do that in the foreseeable future. They'd have to use PCS spectrum and/or carrier aggregation to get 20MHz of bandwidth on the downstream side (what you need for 100 Mbps speeds).

Verizon and T-Mobile OTOH can do this, depending on the market. T-Mobile will have enough AWS to do 20x20 FD-LTE in a bunch of markets, and so will Verizon. Both of the Big Two's cases, they'll have to put new equipment on the tower to get those speeds, since VZW will need LTE-AWS and AT&T will need LTE-A.

AT&T may or may not be able to do that in the foreseeable future. They'd have to use PCS spectrum and/or carrier aggregation to get 20MHz of bandwidth on the downstream side (what you need for 100 Mbps speeds).

Verizon and T-Mobile OTOH can do this, depending on the market. T-Mobile will have enough AWS to do 20x20 FD-LTE in a bunch of markets, and so will Verizon. Both of the Big Two's cases, they'll have to put new equipment on the tower to get those speeds, since VZW will need LTE-AWS and AT&T will need LTE-A.

Nice explanation!

Now the kicker keep data unlimited?

Would any of the Big Two bring back unlimited data

With these speeds?

Nice explanation!

Now the kicker keep data unlimited?

Would any of the Big Two bring back unlimited data

With these speeds?

My crystal ball only interprets data that's already available. Can't tell what the competitive environment will be a year and a half from now, when Sprint has an LTE network rivaling Verizon and AT&T in size...with TD-LTE hot zones to go even faster...