Will Sprint or T-Mobile ever become elite?

pyroscott

AT&T and Verizon are definately at the top of the food chain of wireless carriers. They have the most customers and they have large profit margins. They have more borrowing ability and more capital to work with to expand/renovate their networks. There are several ways that they could mismanage their networks and start bleeding customers, but it would take a lot of churn for them to lose much ground. Verizon and AT&T have premium networks and charge premium prices. This gives them a higher profit margin. Sprint and T-Mobile have less customers and charge their customers less, giving them less profit to reinvest in their networks. T-Mobile's operators Deutche Telekom has shown little desire to invest in their network. Sprint, however, wants to build a premium network (as witnessed by NV), but doesn't have the cash to do so.

Can Sprint keep up with the big boys and attract enough customers with unlimited data to become a top dog? Or are they destined to stay as a bargain brand?

This link details why Sprint and T-Mobile will "never catch AT&T or Verizon" but I don't know if I completely agree with that assertion.

http://www.vision2mobile.com/news/2012/02/sprint-t-mobile-can-t-catch-at-t-verizon.aspx

I would like to see Sprint do better then they are now financially, and hope that Network Vision pans out as planned... I think those two things would make Sprint Great... BUT, if "elite" equates to limiting data at only 2 GB... throttling at 2GB.. and increased plan prices... then no, absolutely not. So, yea, I'd like to see Sprint do better via financial improvement and Network Vision success.. but not necessarily elite, cuz that would likely result in us getting screwed, imo. besides... i love the thrill of pulling for the underdog.

• Like 1

NV will help Sprint maintain its customer base, but as far as catching up? It will never happen. Sprint is a distant 3rd compared in size to the other two. Even if they merged with T-Mobile they would still be in third place. Sprint doesn't have to be a "niche" player, but it will have to do something to make it stand out from the rest.

Keeping unlimited data is a start if they can maintain it after everyone migrates to LTE 3-5 years in the future. However, they will always be able to attract more subs, especially if it caters to the arrogance of the Big Two. Todays article about AT&T blaming its customers for its data mess is hilarious and Sprint will surely benefit from it with the right timing and marketing.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/02/15/att-on-data-throttling-blame-yourselves/

• Like 1

I can't believe at&t is keeping their customers. Or getting new customers... There is no way I would go with them. They dump on their customers and keep raising prices... I considered t mobile and Verizon but never at&t

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Anyone remember when using cell phones was getting cheaper? We are really walking a fine line on inflation and indulging. Verizon indulges because they are top dog and can hand select customers with high deposits (for those who need one) and higher usage costs. Sprint inflates because they made a tactical error in trying to create a network that was very unique technology wise but realized you need a lot of money to be unique. I would prefer for Sprint to stay the course on LTE for a ling time as the avg Sprint user has no clue on WiMax and LTE. They just know 4G and if they get it or not. I will be shocked if we keep true unlimited till the end of the year.

The Android Strikes Back 4G

• Like 1

I think Unlimited is around for at least 12 to 24 months, even on LTE. Here is the one caveat for me, though. If Sprint LTE starts bogging down (or projects it will start bogging down) before Clearwire's extra capacity TD-LTE starts coming online in 2013, then I think Sprint could end unlimited LTE for the purpose of preserving its new LTE performance. I believe Sprint would rather have the reputation of having a solid LTE network than they are in having an unlimited network.

It's possible they may keep 3G unlimited and allow performance on EVDO to languish and encourage people to buy and upgrade to 4G devices. But I don't think this is a wise move. Sprint needs performance to stay up on all NV sites for reputation sake. If people have no faith in the new Sprint 3G network, they will think the same things will get repeated on their 4G LTE network.