What are you hoping the next LTE device is from Sprint?

S4GRU

Sprint has said they will be releasing 12+ LTE devices in 2012. That means soon they are going to be announcing devices like wildfire!

We know that three of the 12 have been announced the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, LG Viper and a WiMax/LTE MiFi hot spot.

But what are you hoping is up next? Looking for a specific model? Looking for specific specs (like quad core)? Looking for a specific manufacturer? Looking for specific frequency set?

Tell us what you want in Sprint's next announced LTE device!

S4GRU is now mobile...posted via Forum Runner

Well here is the issue for me. I honestly was wanting to jump on the next HTC phone based on the new S4 qualcomm chipset and hoping that it would be a quadcore beast. Well after some gut checking reading it seems that that is very unlikely in the near future as the only S4 quadcore based chip they announced "officially" was the APQ8064 which is geared toward tablets and mobile computing as it doesn't have the modem basebands the MSM chips have.

Looks like most we will see is the MSM8960 S4 chip which is the dualcore one but still has the LTE modem built in the die which is a big difference with the Qualcomm S4 chips compared to the other makers currently as Qualcomm is the only one doing that now. Integrating all modems in one chip is a big advantage. imho

Now one thing I am curious about is that with the modem being built in the die, will that allow them to update the modem and adjust/change the freq it is allowed to get signals from via regular OTA updates? My initial impression would be no, but I am still interested to see the first Sprint LTE S4 based phone to pass through the FCC as I would assume they would go ahead and get the device provisioned for ALL LTE freq they plan on using since its already set out. Otherwise they would have to resubmit the device later to the FCC to get it re-provisioned and thats costly/unlikely to happen.

Really just want the device to support all bands LTE out of the gate, b/c otherwise I will have to get a new one in a year and since Sprint tossed the Premier program out the door thats not likely for me anymore... :(

Some S4 articles. The first is actually solid article with the later one being more speculation b/c they mention an MSM8964 which hasn't been mentioned by Qualcomm to my knowledge...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5118/qualcomm-announces-a-bunch-of-krait-based-snapdragon-s4-socs

http://newmobiletechnologies.com/qualcomm-roadmap-2012.html/

personally I hear too many signal related issues with Samsung devices to even go that route, esp the Nexus ones, and never been a fan of anything LG phone wise. Moto is obviously out of the question as they stick with VZ mostly but they also lock their phones up tighter than anyone else and that crosses them off for me.

It is a complete dream scenario, but I would love to see Motorola build the next Nexus model (and have radios in it that have no signal issues). Also, I would like the bootloader to be easily unlocked like the rest of the Nexus line. Furthermore, and this is probably where my hopes vanish into the wind, I would like to see the Nexus released in the same timeframe as the rest of the flagships with comparable specs. We saw the Nexus S released as the last flagship single core phone right before dual core phones started releasing. Now the Galaxy Nexus comes out with a dual core as phones are rumored to be packing quad core processors and releasing soon. We have all been thinking that Motorola will be bringing a successor to the Photon to the LTE party. Maybe the next Nexus will be their entry in the same timeframe that the Photon came out last year. This is my hope, but then again maybe I should hope in one hand and crap in the other and see which gets filled first... Google will probably stick to their "release the nexus in the lull between the last wave of flagship Android and iPhone and before people get a look at the next wave strategy." The hardware is probably cheaper by then as it is on its way to the bargain bin with newer, more powerful hardware on the horizon.

Nokia Lumia 900 or better WP7/WP8 phones (I would like Sprint to have at least 3 in their lineup)

Don't let the HTC Zero sour you on Android. Not sure what your thoughts are on it, but I wanted to throw mine against a wall. The E4GT has redacted my previous experience and I am a fan of android once more.

• Like 1

I want a stronger signal from Sprint, so I can last a regular shift at work...

When NV launches and the coverage is as good as it should be, I'll take the next htc evo phone.

If no change in signal or htc battery life, I'll go with first lte iPhone on sprint.

IPhone battery kills android battery.

Sent from my EVO 3D w/ MeanRom

Don't let the HTC Zero sour you on Android. Not sure what your thoughts are on it, but I wanted to throw mine against a wall. The E4GT has redacted my previous experience and I am a fan of android once more.

Ohh I know, my Hero was a pretty trusty phone till it took a dip (overclocked 50%, running Android 2.3, 3-4 days of battery life: then the dip happened and all that disappeared). I was very active and involved in the development and hacking community over at XDA, so I know the ins and outs of Android pretty well. I am just tired of having to hack my phone to make it stable and not only working on code, but testing out roms for developers eventually just wore me out (I have tested over 100 roms probably on my HTC Hero). I just want a phone that works and is capable now, which suprisely has lead me to look at Microsoft (still sounds weird in my mouth when I talk about Microsoft being good). Don't get me wrong Android is still a great operating system, I am just burnt out on it and have lost my satisfaction in it. Pretty much when Google stopped releasing source code (Android 3.0 in this instance) and manufacturers heavily delayed updates is when I lost my faith in Google's Vision for Android.

My only worry still about WP7 is the tethering capabilities since the carriers seem to control it (I use tethering once every 2 months or so, so the $30 charge a month is ridiculous for my situation, if I could pay $3 a day I use it, I would be all over that).

Even though I would love to see a larger WP7 lineup at Sprint, I would not like to see that come at the expense of the Android lineup. The one thing I don't want to see is Sprint's lineup of Android to become like Verizon's. Verizon's Android lineup is the epitome of fragmented, when a new flagship phone is released almost every month or two, one to two a year would be great (especially when they make great strides from each iteration). Every 6 month - 1 year, I hope Sprint releases an Android phone that changes the landscape as much as the original HTC Evo did when it came out. Sprint would do better by simplifying their Android lineup (too many subpar android devices) and making sure they brought in high quality great phones (at different price points, the free android phones should be the best free ones on the market). I think Sprint would do better with 2-3 awesome Android phones at each price point (free, $50, $100, $150, $200) and have the phones be different, some with sliders who want them, some with big screens (4.3 in.), some with huge screens (4.7 in. and up), some that are very efficient (bigger battery for longer battery life). etc.

I would like to see 3 to 4 WP7/8 phones at Sprint by the end of the year, covering different price points and being different enough from each other to cover a wide demographic (much more than that is overkill I think at this time with WP7/8). Some guys over in Europe have gotten 4-5 days off of their Nokia Lumia 800 with decent daily usage (email, phone calls, navigation, internet surfing, and a few hours of pandora everyday). The very high battery life and the high efficiency combined with a very stable ecosystem is what is attracting me to WP7 (The Nokia Lumia 900 ain't too bad looking either).

I wish Android OEMs would wake up and update their handsets more. With the amount of custom roms out there, they should allow more customization, keep the OS updated and they could keep the boot loader locked. Instead, they let other people do their work and convince us that they are doing us a favor by making it easier to unlock the boot loader. Thanks...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Undoubtedly we will see some great handsets that support the LTE network most likely including the next iteration of the HTC EVO and the SGS3. A couple state of the art Windows Phone devices would also be a good additions to the Sprint line up...provided they educate their sales staff about the platform.

I would give kudos to Sprint if they future proofed their handsets (slightly) and included support for LTE 800, even if the iDEN sites aren't going dark until later this year and next.

Second, I would love to see HTC, Samsung and LG follow Motorola's lead with the RAZR Maxx and radically increase the battery capacity of their devices. Give me the ability to use these devices for full day of moderate to heavy use.

• Like 1

Undoubtedly we will see some great handsets that support the LTE network most likely including the next iteration of the HTC EVO and the SGS3. A couple state of the art Windows Phone devices would also be a good additions to the Sprint line up...provided they educate their sales staff about the platform.

I would give kudos to Sprint if they future proofed their handsets (slightly) and included support for LTE 800' date=' even if the iDEN sites aren't going dark until later this year and next.

Second, I would love to see HTC, Samsung and LG follow Motorola's lead with the RAZR Maxx and radically increase the battery capacity of their devices. Give me the ability to use these devices for full day of moderate to heavy use.[/quote']

Good first post. :welcome:

And I completely agree about batteries and the MAXX.

- Robert, S4GRU

S4GRU is now mobile...posted via Forum Runner