AF buys 18,000 iPads

legion125

Apple already scored a coup on BB by convincing the feds to start using iPhones and iPad's for NOAA. Now the Air Force is buying iPads for evaluation under Air Mobility Command. The government was the last bastion of market share for BB in the U.S., now their losing that as well. Anyone think BB can bounce back?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-10/apple-makes-inroads-into-u-s-government-as-air-force-weighs-18-000-ipads.html

I was wondering if this post was a joke, based on a Polish joke I used to hear about septic tanks.

I thought maybe you were going to say, "Did you hear that the Air Force bought 18,000 iPads? As soon as they learn to fly them, they're going to invade..."

OK, OK. Poles and AF veterans, please don't send me your hate mail. I kid. I kid. I love our veterans.

I was wondering if this post was a joke, based on a Polish joke I used to hear about septic tanks.

I thought maybe you were going to say, "Did you hear that the Air Force bought 18,000 iPads? As soon as they learn to fly them, they're going to invade..."

OK, OK. Poles and AF veterans, please don't send me your hate mail. I kid. I kid. I love our veterans.

GRRRRRRR

GRRRRRRR

My wife and I both grew up military. So I almost feel like I can joke like that.

Maybe I went too far. Sorry. :blush:

S4GRU is now mobile...posted via Forum Runner

My wife and I both grew up military. So I almost feel like I can joke like that.

Maybe I went too far. Sorry.

S4GRU is now mobile...posted via Forum Runner

just kidding, I'm army so make fun if the air force all you want

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

great use of tax dollars. :td:

Yep. Total waste of money. While I do really like my tablet, They are for the most part pretty useless for anything serious. Pretty much only good at consumer content. Movies, web surfing, checking email, ect.

Money would have been a lot better spent on cheep or subsidized laptops that they could actualy do some work on.

(unless they are using them in a class setting as "text books" only.)

• Like 1

My commander has an army issued iPad and all he uses on it is email, email attachments and angry birds. There are laptops cheap enough for that use and really cheap Android tablets that could fit the bill.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Commercial airlines have started using iPads and loading their navigation charts on it. It eliminated the need for pilots to carry those chart cases you would see them with in the airports. Less baggage means better fuel savings and cheaper fares. Ok, they'll find another way to add a fee.

I think the AF is looking at that since it's in Air Mobility Command. Maybe inventory uses.as well since that Command is the Fed Ex of the AF.

• Like 1

Someone in the wild blue yonder pulled the trigger and ordered those 18,000 iPads. As I speculated, they will be used as "electronic flight bags", so they will have charting and other aeronautical information. Whether in heaven or hell (depending on your view point) Steve Jobs must be smiling.

http://www.theverge....ipad-2-contract

• Like 1

I guess thats a good use for them. Personaly when I flew I found it really easy to keep an ifr map on the leg. One ifr map covers a lot of air space.

I could see it being realky handy for all approch patterns and such for the diffrent airports.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk