What is the point of TEP?

thelasthallow

Well even though my last post seemed to be withing the topic guidelines (rulz) it seems to be gone.

So on another note let me just state what i have now found out.

I have just found out that my phone has TEP and i talked to the line holder and called the replacement place and paid a hundred dollars for my replacement.

my only question is why did i halfto pay so much for my phone when its over 2 years old and was only $200 with no contract. (i paid $100 for the replacement) BTW with 4 months left on my contract.

The line holder just told me to pay for a replacement rather than check to see how much it would be to just pay to end my contract.

Because TEP is completely separate from Sprint and that is the way they run their business. All phones, when destroyed on purpose by the user are subject to a deductible of $100+. It is more for newer devices

If you hate your phone so much, why didn't you pay to get your upgrade moved up? And if you hate Sprint so much why didn't you just pay the ETF?

Your previous post was a rant, which added no value to this community. It was deleted because this is not an acceptable outlet for your rant.

Sent from my Jelly Bean Toro using Forum Runner

You deleted while I was writing my response. I thought Tapatalk was freaking out. I hit submit and it kept asking for my password. At least now I know why ;)

Sent from my LTEless Evo LTE using Tapatalk. :-(

You deleted while I was writing my response. I thought Tapatalk was freaking out. I hit submit and it kept asking for my password. At least now I know why ;)

Sent from my LTEless Evo LTE using Tapatalk. :-(

Lol, sorry.

Sent from my Jelly Bean Toro using Forum Runner

Well even though my last post seemed to be withing the topic guidelines (rulz) it seems to be gone.

So on another note let me just state what i have now found out.

I have just found out that my phone has TEP and i talked to the line holder and called the replacement place and paid a hundred dollars for my replacement.

my only question is why did i halfto pay so much for my phone when its over 2 years old and was only $200 with no contract. (i paid $100 for the replacement) BTW with 4 months left on my contract.

The line holder just told me to pay for a replacement rather than check to see how much it would be to just pay to end my contract.

This is the insurance provider:

http://www.asurion.com/

It really doesn't have much to do with Sprint. Sprint just offers the service. There are other 3rd parties that you can purchase insurance from... doesn't have to be from asurion.

I think insurance has lost all value. With the increased fees and high deductibles, it doesn't make much sense. Unless you have a nasty habit of breaking phones or you break your phone within about six months or so of it being release, you end up on the wrong side of the deal.

The $200 you paid was the subsidized price - the actual cost of the device was much higher, so you can't really think about it that way.

Also, a lot of scammers "lose" their phone, sell it on eBay brand new with a bad ESN and profit, which probably has a lot to do with the recent hike in deductibles and monthly premium. When I was looking for an EVO on eBay to buy, it was amazing how many brand new in box with bad ESN EVO's I saw. Truly sickening. Maybe all aren't scammers, but I suspect a fair amount of them to be.

There is not always a pay off/reward in insurance purchasing. A lot of people around these forums don't pay for TEP, because they have concluded it is less expensive to replace the phone for cash after six months buying a used model from eBay then it is to pay the deductible plus the monthly payments.

Deductible plus one year of premiums is roughly $196, or in a new premium device it is $232. Most devices after a year old are between $100 -$200 used in good condition. And Asurion insurance replaces devices with refurbished units.

If you have a flagship device, it may make sense to buy TEP for the first year, but after that, it probably doesn't make sense. The risk/reward is something the buyer needs to consider. Not Sprint. The insurance is offered as a service for those who want it.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner