Texting to Canada

I've tried multiple times to get a straight answer from Sprint, but every time I get a different answer about this question. I'm hoping someone here has actual experience with this situation and can fill me in.

I have a friend in Canada who I'd like to text using my unlimited text plan, but I don't want to add an international texting plan to my account. From what I've gathered on Sprint's forums, texts received and sent to Canadian numbers count against your plan as a normal, domestic text.

Is this true? Are there any additional charges for texting a Canadian phone number? I tried one as a test several days ago and I don't see any extra charges on my Sprint account, but I'm still a little paranoid to open the floodgates.

SMS to Canada costs $10,000 per occurrence.

AJ

• Like 1

I've tried multiple times to get a straight answer from Sprint, but every time I get a different answer about this question. I'm hoping someone here has actual experience with this situation and can fill me in.

I have a friend in Canada who I'd like to text using my unlimited text plan, but I don't want to add an international texting plan to my account. From what I've gathered on Sprint's forums, texts received and sent to Canadian numbers count against your plan as a normal, domestic text.

Is this true? Are there any additional charges for texting a Canadian phone number? I tried one as a test several days ago and I don't see any extra charges on my Sprint account, but I'm still a little paranoid to open the floodgates.

Does he have iPhone? 

Does he have iPhone? 

No, they have a Moto G. I do realize that there are many different messaging apps that don't involve SMS, but it would be nice to not have to resort to that. Especially if the capability is something I'm technically already paying for.

No, they have a Moto G. I do realize that there are many different messaging apps that don't involve SMS, but it would be nice to not have to resort to that. Especially if the capability is something I'm technically already paying for.

Have you tried texting him/her once and then just waiting until you got your bill to see if you were charged for the text? I'm sure if you get charged, it'll only be like 3 cents or something. I would say that's a pretty surefire way to find out the answer to your question.

-Anthony

Have you tried texting him/her once and then just waiting until you got your bill to see if you were charged for the text? I'm sure if you get charged, it'll only be like 3 cents or something. I would say that's a pretty surefire way to find out the answer to your question.

-Anthony

I actually tried that, however I'm currently only a couple days into the billing cycle, so it will be a while before I know for sure. Just checking to see if anyone else can provide insight faster than my bill cycle.

• Like 1

SMS/MMS to and from Canada is included in just about all modern plans for the last 5 or so years at least.

This includes SMS while in Canada, to/from the USA/Canada too.

MMS is included to Canada also, but it will cost data while in Canada, so just disable data roaming to stop any incoming fees.

SMS to other countries costs a rip off fee of 20 cents to send/receive while in the US.

Install and use google voice, this will allow free SMS to Canada from anywhere, using data (and wifi), while in the US, configure it to use GV when dialing internationally, it will give you no cost calls to Canada.

:)

• Like 1

according to the website there is no extra charge to text canada, it has been this way for awhile.  i dont really know how much clearer it again get than that.  if you want, make a screenshot of the page and then if you get burned you can show where you were quoted.

SMS/MMS to and from Canada is included in just about all modern plans for the last 5 or so years at least.

This includes SMS while in Canada, to/from the USA/Canada too.

MMS is included to Canada also, but it will cost data while in Canada, so just disable data roaming to stop any incoming fees.

SMS to other countries costs a rip off fee of 20 cents to send/receive while in the US.

Install and use google voice, this will allow free SMS to Canada from anywhere, using data (and wifi), while in the US, configure it to use GV when dialing internationally, it will give you no cost calls to Canada.

:)

Thank you for the info. After being told by different customer service reps it costs $0.20 per message, then $0.40 per message, then a flat $15 per month, I didn't know who or what to believe.

Thank you for the info. After being told by different customer service reps it costs $0.20 per message, then $0.40 per message, then a flat $15 per month, I didn't know who or what to believe.

I have been on a SERO 500 plan for over 5 years, always had texting to Canada included, along with SMS texting while in Canada included.

Go here, put in the country.  http://internationalroaming.sprint.com/IntlCoverage/WelcomeRoaming.do

It will say "Text PricingPlan"for Canada.

Shown here. http://shop2.sprint.com/assets/pdfs/en/support/guides/services/worldwide/Worldwide_eflyer.pdf

The $15 per month fee is not worth it, not to me.