My tower being 1km away

Like the title says, my closet tower to my location zip 28214 for me is approximately ~1055m away (per OpenSignal app with GPS on). The signal strength is ridiculously low, usually around -100dbm or more. I get maybe 2 bars on my phone but most of the time it is zero bars and 1xRTT speeds (if I can get that). Watching the debug menu 1x Eng, the phone connects to channel 325 or 350 most of the time. Occasionally it will connect to channel 375 which gives me 4 to 5 bars but then drops back to either 325 or 350.

Is this typical signal strength for a tower only 1km away for any of you guys? And if so and yours got upgraded to NV, how much improvement in signal strength did you gain?

Also would like to add that when I roam on Cricket, sometimes I connect to a tower of theirs roughly 900m+ away yet get better reception.

That's a bit odd with you being only a little over a half mile away and having such low signal. Typically if the tower is too close, the panel downtilt may not be enough, and the signal would in theory pass right over your home. But in your case, I cannot possibly see that being the case.

For me, I have a tower that's even closer to my home ~1700ft, and my signal sits real pretty around -55 to -65dB

Yea I thought it was odd too. 1km doesn't seem so far away to me. I got Sprint Corporate looking into it. Here in 3-4 days I should hear back from them. I have a feeling something is definitely wrong with that tower.

I think I might track this tower down and take a picture of it with my wife's Nikon just to see its exact location.

Edited by Sandman

Also, don't trust the map locations of OpenSignal maps. It was telling me the tower I connected to was near the center of our small town. But there isn't one there. One is north of town about 2 miles and the other is about 1.5 miles south.

The market maps in the sponsor section are very accurate from what I can tell and I located the closes two towers to me. The Charlotte map is in there as well as the Raleigh/Durham market maps.

I would like to be a sponsor but I am unemployed at the moment and money is tight. I will try to locate it with GPS and apps.

Hey I will donate for you tomorrow sometime.

PM me your email and ill let Robert know.

I would like to be a sponsor but I am unemployed at the moment and money is tight. I will try to locate it with GPS and apps.

Hey I will donate for you tomorrow sometime.

PM me your email and ill let Robert know.

Someone already made a donation in his name last night. Sandman, welcome to the Sponsor level. We hope you get back on your feet soon.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Thanks to the person who donated for me and thanks to Omega for offering. You guys have really blown my mind and I am almost speechless.

This is the best community I have ever been a part of!!

Thanks again!!

EDIT:

Looks like the tower that is closest to me is 2.90Km or 1.8 Miles. Being that distance away, should my signal strength be that low to begin with?

• Like 2

Looks like the tower that is closest to me is 2.90Km or 1.8 Miles. Being that distance away, should my signal strength be that low to begin with?

Absolutely it can be. Signal strength at a distance like that is very dependent on down tilt, or you may be perfectly situated between sectors. If you have line of site to a tower at 1.8 miles you probably would lose only one or two bars on most signal strength indicators. However, if the downtilt was aimed just short of your location, you could drop to as low as one or two bars on your signal strength indicator. Dense foliage and your building type of construction can make a difference too.

Robert

Got some pictures of the tower from 3 different angles,

Definitely looks like a legacy Sprint CDMA tower. Thanks for sharing.

Robert

To me it looks sorta of bare compared to some towers I have seen around my area.

Yeah, I suppose. But it's a Sprint only site that is broadcasting only 1900MHz 1x and EVDO. So there is no need for more than what you see. And likely, after Network Vision work is complete, there will be just one combined panel with 800/1900 CDMA and LTE on each sector. For a month or two after NV panels are put up, you will see three panels per sector, but after the legacy is removed, you will be just left with one NV panel per sector. That will look even more lonely than now. :)

Robert

• Like 1