RIM enticing Android developers to port their apps with a free BB Playbook

pyroscott

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 3 February 2012

Yesterday I posted that

RIM was accepting Android apps

to insert in their market as long as any references to Android or Android market were removed. Apparently, they are now taking it a step further and giving a free playbook to any Android developer who ports their app over to Blackberry. I wonder if this will spur development for Blackberry?

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 3 February 2012

I read that. It made me consider quickly trying to build a S4GRU Android app to try to get a free Playbook out of them. But I'm too busy trying to set up the new forums!

RIMM has to do something. If they can't get any traction from the developer side, its just another nail in the coffin. MS has been providing cash incentives for developers to work on WP and it appears to be working. I think MS is ahead of RIMM in the app department by 20,000.

This is actually the smartest move its made in years. I think Apps is the biggest thing hurting their new OS 10. And to be able to run Android apps in a BB environment will be a very good thing.

It may not get them to a place of growing market share. But it will help slow or stop their customer turnover. The remaining BB people are a die hard lot. They want a reason to stay. Any reason.

Sent from Tapatalk App

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• I have added T-Mobile eNB 879366, a Sprint convert site, to the list of gig+ sites, as I was able to break the 800 Mbps ceiling with it. I'm still trying to understand the DAS mess at LGA and locate them, but the bad thing about it is inside the terminals I can occasionally pick up the macros inside. It anchors 5G, which is great for a speed boost, but occasionally data hangs because my device is having a handoff frenzy trying to pick the best macro and/or band for the 5G connection.   I have spotted 2 more Dish sites, one on the corner of Church Avenue and East 16th (photo below), and the other is an in progress site co-located with Verizon eNB 81069.   At Verizon eNB 81069, the ports on the Dish panel weren't connected yet, brand new racks were being used on the roof Verizon is on, and it looks like Sprint's equip is still up on the building next door.
    • Neat!  Thanks.  Most of my issues at the moment are from inexperience.  I've never used AT commands and I'm bad at Python.  I'm not really sure what the best way is to send AT commands to the modem; socat seems to work, and there are Python libraries that should do it, but I don't really know what I'm doing.  - Trip
    • If you need any assistance, firmware or drivers with the radio; I am involved in Quectel's US based sales and field application engineer programs. I am working on the x62 reference RM520/N right now. They are a really fun product to work with.  
    • Thanks for the locations, I will try them sometime in the next week or so. 
    • life in the fast lane: 100,000 customers.  breakeven under a year per building.  Could run out of cash in 6 months. https://www.lightreading.com/broadband/fixed-wireless-access-(fwa)/starry-seeks-paths-to-bridge-its-funding-gap/d/d-id/779574?