"Bit Measuring Contest" - Odell

This is my last post of the this subject. My civility is definitely wearing thin.

Data usage != Data speed

I am not wrong and you can sit there and say I am all you want. The facts are, network speeds are defined in powers of ten not two. 4ringsnbr said Speedtest.net used the 1024 in their calculations, i proved him wrong and even quoted the websites calculation of 1Mbps=1000Kbps. I have given numerous examples supporting my claim. ISP's sell their lines as in powers of ten not 2. Time Warner cable, my ISP, even says the exact thing on their website. Cisco, a major network business, even says it on their site. Again data usage is a unit of consumption. Data speed is a unit of rate/time. I traveled 100 miles or I downloaded 1GB. Those two statements don't tell anyone how fast those were obtained.

If you would of actually visited the links I provided such as http://searchstorage...ta-and-all-that, you will see

Examples of quantities or phenomena in which power-of-10 prefix multipliers apply include frequency (including computer clock speeds), physical mass, power, energy, electrical voltage, and electrical current. Power-of-10 multipliers are also used to define binary data speeds. Thus, for example, 1 kbps (one kilobit per second) is equal to 103, or 1,000, bps (bits per second); 1 Mbps (one megabit per second) is equal to 106, or 1,000,000, bps. (The lowercase k is the technically correct symbol for kilo- when it represents 103, although the uppercase K is often used instead.).

The underlined explains why Network Speeds are measured in powers of ten because the electrical signal is a frequency. Modem speeds from decades ago used powers of ten. Every website speed test will say 1000Kbps=1MBps. It is defined in the International Standard of Units p.29 http://physics.nist....SP330/sp330.pdf. Computer system internals use powers of 2 because it resides inside the system itself, not outside like on the connecting network.

These SI prefixes refer

strictly to powers of 10.

They should not be used to

indicate powers of 2 (for

example, one kilobit

represents 1000 bits and not

1024 bits). The IEC has

adopted prefixes for binary

powers in the international

standard IEC 60027-2:

2005, third edition,

Lastly, kilo, mega, giga, are metric to begin with. Metric is in powers of ten. That is why they made a distinction.

Have a good day. I done talking about this subject...

Edited by Sandman

(I thought I would segregate this wildly off-topic, yet informative, debate from the discussion Current State of Sprint. Thanks to Odell for the inspiration of the thread title. - Duffman)

This is the first time I've ever inspired a thread title! I would like to thank the Academy and I just want to say, You like me! You really like me!

• Like 2