Starry Wireless Broadband

DanielB

http://www.cnet.com/news/hate-your-cable-company-a-superfast-wireless-internet-network-is-coming/

TL;DR: The founders of the failed Aereo TV service will use unlicensed 39 GHz spectrum and small cells mounted on top of tall buildings to provide a 1 Gbps wireless broadband service across America. Planning to launch in Boston this year with more cities on the way soon.

What do we think? Sounds ambitious and near-to-impossible (based on the propagation characteristics of the spectrum they're using) to me.

It's broadband.  Not cellular service.  CLOS, 39GHz can go a long ways.  Being urban environment, they could be a solid competitor depending what landline company is in the area, services offered and price.  I bet for a lot of buildings to tap into this broadband, it would just take only a single receiver to feed the whole building.

The range they requested gives them what, 400MHz of bandwidth. Plus maybe that section is light or clear on traffic so they don't have to wiggle around users of other SH and EH frequencies.  

But being at 39GHz, they'll be sticking to urban environments. 

• Like 1

There are two companies in Boston that currently offer a similar service but at much slower speeds.

I'd be curious what the pricing is going to be.  If it is 1gbps for 70/month or something, I think they could have a very good uptake.

• Like 1

It's broadband.  Not cellular service.  CLOS, 39GHz can go a long ways.  Being urban environment, they could be a solid competitor depending what landline company is in the area, services offered and price.  I bet for a lot of buildings to tap into this broadband, it would just take only a single receiver to feed the whole building.

The range they requested gives them what, 400MHz of bandwidth. Plus maybe that section is light or clear on traffic so they don't have to wiggle around users of other SH and EH frequencies.  

But being at 39GHz, they'll be sticking to urban environments. 

Thank you for the technical background! I know just enough to be dangerous - and clearly not much at all. Haha