gunterm

MiFi 500 LTE gets public IP but appears to be firewalled

I have mine through FreedomPop but I think Sprint is the one blocking it.  Since I don't have fixed internet at home I was planning to use my device to keep tabs on various things.  I port mapped my wireless camera through the built in firewall and still cannot access it from the public IP Sprint assigns.

After getting a Franklin U600 for free last month I tried the same thing out on the WiMax network, and it isn't blocked, camera works great. Has anyone got the LTE network firewall lifted and how do you do it?

No.  Incoming connections to MVNOs are more restrictively firewalled than those to Sprint-branded devices.

Why isn't the WiMAX network blocked then?  Does freedompop have the ability as an mvno to unblock it?

I tested with FPs other devices they sent, a Franklin U600 WiMAX/EVDO modem.  It works just fine, both 3G and 4G network IPs are public and routable!

I'm thinking it might be the MiFi 500's router blocking things, going to acquire a Netgear LTE modem and move the SIM to see if I'm correct.

I doubt it is just the mifi router blocking them, unless you have a static ip or some type of business account, its very likely that sprint is blocking/filter incoming connections across lte to prevent lte from being used as a server connection.

wimax network is older and different and doesn't necessarily have the same filtering/network managemen rules.

edit;

I can ping my wimax hotspot public ip, but can not ping my netgear zing lte hotspot public ip.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Going through the full list of shortcuts on my S20 Ultra: Battery Info - "Battery info isn't available on this device." Data/EPST - "Data/EPST info may not be available on this device." Debug/Engineering - "Debug/Engineering screens may not be available on this device." Mobile Networks - "Mobile Network settings not available on this device." Radio Info - Does work. Samsung Band Test1 - Does work. Samsung Band Test2 - "Band selector not available on this device." Samsung Band Test3 - "Band selector not available on this device." Samsung Band Test4 - "Band selector not available on this device." Samsung Band Test5 - "Band selector not available on this device." Samsung Band Test6 - "Band selector not available on this device." Samsung Band Test7 - "Band selector not available on this device." Samsung Hidden Menu - ""Hidden Menu: Permission Denied" Voice Band Menu - Does work. WiFi Info - "WiFi info not available on this device." I know the ##33284# was unique to Sprint branded phones in my experience, the dialer code for the Service Mode screen on Samsung is *#0011#, not sure if you want to point the Samsung shortcut to that instead now. *#0011# works on most Samsung phones, the exception being some Verizon versions.  On another note, the accent color is working on both my phones on the newest update. I've also noticed the stale 5G info does seem to clear after awhile, but I'm not sure how long that takes. An airplane mode cycle also clears it. 
    • According Sprints loyalty dept the LG V60 will be out on June 12th.
    • Both prior accent issues now solved! Thanks Nice feature.
    • With the new update Samsung Band Test1 brings up "NETWORK" menu(?).  I can get into the Band Selection by clicking the menu button in the top left. I have never used Band Selection menu before but that is what it says in the top center. I saw there were 7 different options I just figured I would let you know which seemed to work for me. No 5G in my area so I can't really test that part of the beta.