You Own Devices Act (YODA) introduced in House

GoBigRed79

It would be interesting to see how such a law would impact the cell phone world. 

On Sept. 19, Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Texas) introduced the You Own Devices Act (YODA) that could impact almost every American. It concerns embedded software that is increasingly prevalent in telecommunications and technology, from e-books to automobiles, from iPhones to refrigerators. YODA would prevent copyrighted software from limiting an owner's ability to resell, configure or repair a specific device in which it is embedded.

The core of YODA states, "the owner of the machine or other product is entitled to transfer an authorized copy of the computer program [that enables the device to work], or the right to obtain such copy, when the owner sells, leases, or otherwise transfers the machine." A new owner would also be entitled to receive critical updates and security patches on the device. Many manufacturers currently require second owners to buy new licenses before they can receive such information.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/technology/218857-entered-the-house-yoda-has

• Like 4

In the hardware storage and high end server business, I see this quite a bit with software licensing.  Hardware can be sold but the software is a "leased" item  and can not be resold.  I don't see this going to far, but I could be wrong.