Sprint based MNVO Hotspots

AppleFanBoy

Just saw this article today:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/mvno-karma-launches-first-lte-product-sprint-doubles-user-base-100000/2014-09-23

Just curious what other Sprint based MNVO hotspot solutions are there?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I really don't care for their data pricing. Heck, it's more expensive than Verizon hotspots even.

The only thing I found appealing is the data rollover. But your right they are a bit pricey.

Just saw this article today:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/mvno-karma-launches-first-lte-product-sprint-doubles-user-base-100000/2014-09-23

Just curious what other Sprint based MNVO hotspot solutions are there?

I know you're an AppleFanBoy but Google is your friend. ;)

https://www.freedompop.com/devices/freedom-spot-lte

https://ting.com/shop/Novatel-Mifi-500

I really don't care for their data pricing. Heck, it's more expensive than Verizon hotspots even.

Whether it's more expensive is really dependent upon your use case.

For me, I'd only want a device like this for occasional usage when traveling, and I don't use a ton of data.  1 GB would probably last me 6 months.  In this case, the Verizon Jetpack would be significantly more expensive than the Karma Go.   Compare the 6 month cost:

Verizon Jetpack: 250 MB/month plan ($15) + $20/month access fee = $35/month * 6 months = $210

Karma Go: 1 GB = $14

And with Verizon, I'd be limited to 250 MB/month.  Verizon doesn't come close.  The bottom line is it's really hard to compare monthly against pay-as-you-go plans.

For light hotspot use, I have a Freedompop LTE hotspot. I pay $4 a month for 500MB of LTE/3G data along with $4 a month for the data to rollover. I have about 4GB "saved" up right now. For $8 a month, it's a good option for me since I only use it a few times a month with my tablet. It's also a backup in case my home internet goes down. I take online classes so I can't take the chance of having no internet when I need to do school work. 

You can also get 500MB of LTE only data for free every month if you purchase a hotspot from them. You cannot do the rollover option though with the free data. 

• Like 3

Whether it's more expensive is really dependent upon your use case.

For me, I'd only want a device like this for occasional usage when traveling, and I don't use a ton of data. 1 GB would probably last me 6 months. In this case, the Verizon Jetpack would be significantly more expensive than the Karma Go. Compare the 6 month cost:

Verizon Jetpack: 250 MB/month plan ($15) + $20/month access fee = $35/month * 6 months = $210

Karma Go: 1 GB = $14

And with Verizon, I'd be limited to 250 MB/month. Verizon doesn't come close. The bottom line is it's really hard to compare monthly against pay-as-you-go plans.

Yeah, I forgot about device cost in those figures. Verizon has a 50$/5GB plan that you can only get in retail stores. So it's a little better, but you're probably right about it bring more expensive once you add device costs in.

Talking about the Karma, I found this data guide on their blog a few months back. It's a good reference piece.

I'll leave it here just in case it's useful to anyone...

https://blog.yourkarma.com/how-much-data-do-apps-use

Very tempted in getting one for myself, the fact that the data rolls over AND is more than 1/2 the price per gig plus you don't have the "access fee" is wonderful. :D

BUT... I need to pay off my LG G3 before I spend more money on more devices.  :(

• Like 2