Sprint and Dish: A match made in heaven?

ericdabbs

2 days ago at the Barclays Capital conference, the CFO of Sprint discussed about the speculation of a Sprint and Dish network hosting agreement or possibly buying spectrum from Dish. Now this is not a new rumor since it has been speculated for some time now that Sprint could possibly look at Dish Network for a network hosting agreement should Lightsquared fail. Now that Sprint and Lightsquared have parted ways, I think now is the time to start thinking about a Sprint and Dish network hosting agreement.

The key thing from this article is that the Sprint CFO is publicly fueling the fire of this speculation to its investors. I think this is a good sign that the rumor has some legs in it. Who knows what preliminary discussions Sprint has had with Dish already but all signs point nothing but up. Sprint currently is not in a position to strike a network hosting deal in 2012 because the Network Vision architecture is not fully deployed yet as well as the S-band 2Ghz spectrum not fully approved yet by the FCC for LTE deployment. I can see a possible deal occurring sometime mid 2013 where at least half of Sprint's footprint is covered with Network Vision architecture.

What do you guys think?

http://www.fiercebro...aven/2012-03-28

More rumor material:

Today - Thursday, March 29, 11:14 AM Deutsche Bank makes a bullish call on Sprint (S +0.9%), adding the company to its Short-Term Buy List with a price target of $3. Analysts came back from a meeting with Sprint management with a clear vision of the company's priorities and growth targets.

Source: http://seekingalpha.com/currents/post/226951

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Deutsche+Gets+Bullish+on+Sprint+%28S%29+Following+Meetings%2C+Adds+to+Short-Term+Buy+List/7306045.html

• Like 3

If Sprint and Dish Network were to partner up for network hosting it would be nice since the PCS band and the MSS bands are right next to each other. 358nnnk.png

If Sprint were to obtain the PCS "H" block nationwide and make a deal with Dish it would be good for both parties since Sprint needs the money and Dish needs a LTE network. It would be like one large contiguous piece of spectrum.

• Like 2

A deal with DISH is certainly feasible, but Ergan drives a hard bargain and is not afraid to walk if he doesn't get the terms he desires. A deal with DISH will be profitable but not as lucrative as it would have been with LS2.

• Like 1

As long as a deal is fair for both Sprint and Dish I would be happy with it. Sprint needs money and if there is any way that can help offset costs from Network Vision. Also any spectrum that is not in the hands of Verizon and AT&T is a victory in itself.

I am sure AT&T has rubbed Ergen the wrong way already by crying to the FCC about the way they plan to deploy LTE. That is not to say that Ergen can't be bought though but I am sure it is not his first choice.

As long as a deal is fair for both Sprint and Dish I would be happy with it. Sprint needs money and if there is any way that can help offset costs from Network Vision. Also any spectrum that is not in the hands of Verizon and AT&T is a victory in itself.

I am sure AT&T has rubbed Ergen the wrong way already by crying to the FCC about the way they plan to deploy LTE. That is not to say that Ergen can't be bought though but I am sure it is not his first choice.

Be that as it may, Ergen is so shrewd that he will always make Sprint and Tmo think that a deal with AT&T is imminent to get the best deal that Dish can get from them. He is in the middle of a great bargaining position. And he knows it.

If Sprint ever gets a deal with Dish, it will not be lucrative. But I like your point that a Sprint/Dish deal, even if not financially lucrative, is a huge win just if ATT or Verizon cannot get it. It would be the reverse of the Alltel deal. Only more valuable as Dish spectrum is nationwide.

Robert

• Like 1

Be that as it may, Ergen is so shrewd that he will always make Sprint and Tmo think that a deal with AT&T is imminent to get the best deal that Dish can get from them. He is in the middle of a great bargaining position. And he knows it.

If Sprint ever gets a deal with Dish, it will not be lucrative. But I like your point that a Sprint/Dish deal, even if not financially lucrative, is a huge win just if ATT or Verizon cannot get it. It would be the reverse of the Alltel deal. Only more valuable as Dish spectrum is nationwide.

Robert

We can only hope Hesse feels that way! you're so right... even if its not immediately profitable to sprint, it would be insurance for their future

• Like 1