Cheapest Sprint MVNO for texts only?

ahecht

I am working on a DIY cellular add-on to a remote car starter (using the remote starter's AUX port connected via Arduino to my phone's headphone jack), and the idea was to have Tasker running on my old Sprint HTC Hero that would trigger the starter when it got a text message from me with a certain keyword.

The question is: what is the cheapest way to get my Sprint Hero to receive texts? I don't care about minutes or data, and I'd be looking at a max of 50 or so texts a month. Before anyone suggests FreedomPop, they don't support the Hero yet.

I am working on a DIY cellular add-on to a remote car starter (using the remote starter's AUX port connected via Arduino to my phone's headphone jack), and the idea was to have Tasker running on my old Sprint HTC Hero that would trigger the starter when it got a text message from me with a certain keyword.

The question is: what is the cheapest way to get my Sprint Hero to receive texts? I don't care about minutes or data, and I'd be looking at a max of 50 or so texts a month. Before anyone suggests FreedomPop, they don't support the Hero yet.

May want to look into I-Wireless. www.krogeriwireless.com

$10 a month will get you 100 texts.

This almost seems like chapter one in "S4GRU's Frugal Guide To Bomb Making" or something similar...

/as for your question, you might want to find an MVNO that offers voice/text roaming so it will work when rural -- does Ting, and how are their low usage charges?

• 2 weeks later...

RingPlus, you get 400 min, 400 text, 200 Meg of data for 9.99

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Based on the response on another forum I decided to flash a Verizon PRL to the phone to use on PagePlus. A $10 refill is good for for 120 days (and pays for 200 texts).