LTE question regarding PRLs.

Okay, so I know PRLs tell the device which Sprint tower/site to connect to, but is this the case with LTE, too? In other words, would I be able to force LTE 800 over LTE PCS with a PRL? I'm wanting to force it once a triband device comes out so I can tell when it comes live in my area. I have great LTE 1900 signal so I'm afraid my device won't connect to it if 1900 is sufficient. Also - if PRL controls LTE connectivity, then why the sim cards? For authentication purposes?

Okay, so I know PRLs tell the device which Sprint tower/site to connect to, but is this the case with LTE, too? In other words, would I be able to force LTE 800 over LTE PCS with a PRL? I'm wanting to force it once a triband device comes out so I can tell when it comes live in my area. I have great LTE 1900 signal so I'm afraid my device won't connect to it if 1900 is sufficient. Also - if PRL controls LTE connectivity, then why the sim cards? For authentication purposes?

Why would you want or need to connect to 800 if you have great 1900? You would just be clogging up the 800 network for people that need it.

• Like 2

The PRL does not tell the device which site to connect to. I would suggest reading both of the PRL articles on The Wall here at S4GRU.  The only thing in the PRL that affects LTE is one setting per Geo that says to scan for LTE or not.  It doesn't even tell it where to scan for LTE. 

• Like 3

Why would you want or need to connect to 800 if you have great 1900? You would just be clogging up the 800 network for people that need it.

It'd be more for just an observation.  I'd like to know when it came live rather than use it, itself.  Kind of similar to how I check 3G speeds on my local tower, even though I have LTE on it.

Knowledge is power!

The PRL does not tell the device which site to connect to. I would suggest reading both of the PRL articles on The Wall here at S4GRU.  The only thing in the PRL that affects LTE is one setting per Geo that says to scan for LTE or not.  It doesn't even tell it where to scan for LTE. 

Thanks for this explanation.  Pretty much sums up everything.