Does Sprint have the ability to view your location in relation to the tower you're connected?
What about your data speeds, signal strength, etc, either real-time or averaged?

This information would be very useful to Sprint to improve network.

If a given tower always records a weak signal on all users' phone, then Sprint could use their location to decide where to build a new tower, for example.

• Like 1

They used to have CIQ until it was found to harvest everything you do on your phone. They kind of got a black eye from it as it made national news, it was quickly removed.

Sent from my little Note2

They used to have CIQ until it was found to harvest everything you do on your phone. They kind of got a black eye from it as it made national news, it was quickly removed.

So they have absolutely no capability to do per user network monitoring?

They do just not things we end users can easily find. It's probably all in their backend monitoring especially the new upgraded software they gotten from the manufacturers. A perk of having an all new modular digital network.

I wouldn't say that. I am sure every carrier can.

Oh believe me, a lot of individual information for each subscriber is monitored and recorded for quality and diagnostic purposes. At least a rough network location (within a few hundred feet, enough for E911 service), The specific Cascade ID and sector you are connected to (cell site), data speeds on that site/sector, capacity on that site/sector, and dropped and blocked calls caused by network, device, and account issues just to name a few. The new Service Trender, Network Pinpoint and Network Event Board tools used by reps have varying amount of access to this information to help them triage and diagnose customer issues.

Carrier IQ gave a lot more detailed information regarding what the handset was doing at the time of a drop/blocked call, a more fine location instead of just a rough area, and things like that. All of this was handled in the background, and sent in automatically as issues arose to help Sprint better manage the network and devices. Carrier IQ helped Sprint decide device roadmaps as well as they could see how people used their device,s the types of apps and sort of thing people used on their devices most often. All real world data, not based on subjective surveys, it was all raw objective information.

The issues people had with Carrier IQ were two-fold:

1. The CIQ app itself allows almost entire control over a device. It can monitor everything happening on it, including keyboard actions, screen taps and swipes, network information, fine GPS location information, etc. Essentially it's the ultimate spyware application because it is in everything on the phone. Now, the US carriers that utilized it, including Sprint only used it for diagnostic and usage information. Specific monitoring of use and such were not utilized because that would be a violation of Sprint's privacy policies, the app could do it, but wasn't. The keyboard input monitoring could have been used temporarily to allow access to hidden menu systems, sort of like the ## and *#*# dialer codes on all Sprint phones but all information fro mthat was not sent, it was only stored locally temporarily.

2. People didn't bother to learn about CIQ and how it was actually being used. They heard what it could do and blew up about it. No matter all of the advantages it gave a carrier to get truly objective information about network and deivce triage/diagnosis and about how their customers really use their devices (rather than subjective survey responses and requests based on a fleeting human desire).

If you could opt out of carrier IQ it would have been okay. Just like how you really can't opt out of the connection optimizer that scans and logs all the wifi access points and data usage.

If you could opt out of carrier IQ it would have been okay. Just like how you really can't opt out of the connection optimizer that scans and logs all the wifi access points and data usage.

I'm not familiar with the note 2 but on the S3 and S4 you can turn off the Connection Optimizer.

Sent from my SPH-L720

I'm not familiar with the note 2 but on the S3 and S4 you can turn off the Connection Optimizer.

Sent from my SPH-L720

Read my post again. You really can't opt out.