Righteous indignation: forced roaming vs data network abuse

When a Sprint customer roams onto Verizon's 3G, that costs Sprint money directly via roaming fees, right?

When a Sprint customer violates the T.C.s and uses an obscene amount of data by using their phone as their primary connection, that "costs" Sprint money by necessitating additional investment in network capacity, right?

Well then why are people allowed to discuss how to obtain PRLs that force roaming onto Verizon's 3G? I'm pretty sure modifying your PRL period is against the T.C.s but modifying for the purpose of forcing Verizon 3G roaming is definitely against the T.C.s

My point: if you're gonna be indignant about something that "costs" Sprint money, in the form of network capacity, then maybe you definitely shouldn't allow something that costs Sprint money, in the form of roaming fees, to be on your forums and for people to attach PRLs in their posts that directly and instantly costs Sprint money.

In this thread

http://s4gru.com/ind...zon-3g-roaming/

several mods participated in helping people force Verizon 3G roaming.

Huh?

And this

Is that real? You have used 319 GB of data in half of your billing cycle? If so, you are a data abuser and a jerk to your fellow Sprint subs. You are violating your Ts and Cs, and I hope that Sprint terminates your account with extreme prejudice.

AJ

At least be consistent: either this site is fully in favor of people taking full advantage of Sprint or it's not.

• Like 2

We allow the discussion of altering PRL's because Sprint allows you to use up to 300MB of roaming data per month. How you use that 300MB is not a violation of the terms of service, so we allow it.

We also allow people to discuss using unlimited data. However, we hold people accountable for abusing unlimited data. We believe encouraging abuse of unlimited data will only bring it to an end even sooner than it would normally. When it comes to tethering, Sprint requires people to subscribe to a tethering plan. And tethering plans have to be paid for and they have monthly limits. Some people don't like that, so they find ways to bypass having to pay for it, or to use as much as they want.

If Sprint allowed 300MB of unauthorized tethering per month, we would allow the discussion. However, Sprint doesn't allow any unauthorized tethering. So we do not allow unauthorized tethering threads or posts.

The point of the discussion as it pertains to S4GRU comes to violation of Sprint's Terms and Conditions, not that it costs Sprint money. That has been in our Posting Guidelines since we created them: http://s4gru.com/ind...-aka-the-rulez/

S4GRU has this posting guideline to protect us from Sprint. We are not exactly celebrated by Sprint. We provide confidential information from internal sources. Sprint is not fond of that. We do not want to give them ammo against us to try to shut us down. Sprint has been able to shut down another site providing confidential information.

It’s a judgment call we have made. Some do not agree with our stand, and feel we should be the XDA for Sprint customers pushing the envelope as far as possible. We understand it’s not popular with everyone. But it is not something we are flexible on. We will continue to enforce it.

In regards to PRL modifications, it also goes to the very spirit of S4GRU. We are wireless enthusiasts. We enjoy understanding and modifying our devices and how they work and interact on the network. PRL modification goes to the very heart of that. And it can be done within the rules of Sprint, and brings Sprint no harm. We feel like we can defend it if we ever had to.

I’m open to further discussion on the subject. However, this is not something we will be changing. People can call me a hypocrite, and that’s fine. But in reality, we all are hypocrites. We all live in a place where we have to make judgment calls every day, and many of those decisions will appear contrary to each other for other people looking from the outside. It’s life. But it is something we have looked at carefully, and our position is not by ignorance or accident.

At least be consistent: either this site is fully in favor of people taking full advantage of Sprint or it's not.

As for this quote, you are missing the point of S4GRU. S4GRU does not exist for customers to “take full advantage of Sprint” realized to the maximum. S4GRU’s Mission statement is: "To provide a forum for discussion and education about wireless spectrum, networks, and Sprint Network Vision, in particular, in an online community that is mature, intelligent, and free from uncritical negativity."

You may see S4GRU as you prefer it to be, rather than what it is.

Robert

• Like 8

First of all, maximus1987, both CDMA1X and EV-DO are "3G." Roaming agreements do not generally make a distinction between the two. Many official Sprint PRLs contain EV-DO ACQ indices for most/all SIDs. So, the issue is not the airlink but the actual data roaming usage. As long as users do not violate Sprint's Ts and Cs by exceeding the 300 MB monthly data roaming quota, then CDMA1X or EV-DO is immaterial.

Second, my post that you quoted was in response to another post, which actually turned out to be citing data usage of a large multi user account on VZW. I did not appreciate that member posting those stats as almost some badge of honor, but that data usage was not due to a single user, nor was it on Sprint. Thus, it has practically zero relevance here.

AJ

• Like 6

We allow the discussion of altering PRL's because Sprint allows you to use up to 300MB of roaming data per month. How you use that 300MB is not a violation of the terms of service, so we allow it.

We also allow people to discuss using unlimited data. However, we hold people accountable for abusing unlimited data. We believe encouraging abuse of unlimited data will only bring it to an end even sooner than it would normally. When it comes to tethering, Sprint requires people to subscribe to a tethering plan. And tethering plans have to be paid for and they have monthly limits. Some people don't like that, so they find ways to bypass having to pay for it, or to use as much as they want.

If Sprint allowed 300MB of unauthorized tethering per month, we would allow the discussion. However, Sprint doesn't allow any unauthorized tethering. So we do not allow unauthorized tethering threads or posts.

The point of the discussion as it pertains to S4GRU comes to violation of Sprint's Terms and Conditions, not that it costs Sprint money. That has been in our Posting Guidelines since we created them: http://s4gru.com/ind...-aka-the-rulez/

S4GRU has this posting guideline to protect us from Sprint. We are not exactly celebrated by Sprint. We provide confidential information from internal sources. Sprint is not fond of that. We do not want to give them ammo against us to try to shut us down. Sprint has been able to shut down another site providing confidential information.

It’s a judgment call we have made. Some do not agree with our stand, and feel we should be the XDA for Sprint customers pushing the envelope as far as possible. We understand it’s not popular with everyone. But it is not something we are flexible on. We will continue to enforce it.

In regards to PRL modifications, it also goes to the very spirit of S4GRU. We are wireless enthusiasts. We enjoy understanding and modifying our devices and how they work and interact on the network. PRL modification goes to the very heart of that. And it can be done within the rules of Sprint, and brings Sprint no harm. We feel like we can defend it if we ever had to.

I’m open to further discussion on the subject. However, this is not something we will be changing. People can call me a hypocrite, and that’s fine. But in reality, we all are hypocrites. We all live in a place where we have to make judgment calls every day, and many of those decisions will appear contrary to each other for other people looking from the outside. It’s life. But it is something we have looked at carefully, and our position is not by ignorance or accident.

As for this quote, you are missing the point of S4GRU. S4GRU does not exist for customers to “take full advantage of Sprint” realized to the maximum. S4GRU’s Mission statement is: "To provide a forum for discussion and education about wireless spectrum, networks, and Sprint Network Vision, in particular, in an online community that is mature, intelligent, and free from uncritical negativity."

You may see S4GRU as you prefer it to be, rather than what it is.

Robert

:o sprint has shut down a site before because of the information on it?

:o sprint has shut down a site before because of the information on it?

Yes, a site called InsideSprintNow was shut down last year by Sprint.

Robert

When a Sprint customer roams onto Verizon's 3G, that costs Sprint money directly via roaming fees, right?

When a Sprint customer violates the T.C.s and uses an obscene amount of data by using their phone as their primary connection, that "costs" Sprint money by necessitating additional investment in network capacity, right?

Well then why are people allowed to discuss how to obtain PRLs that force roaming onto Verizon's 3G? I'm pretty sure modifying your PRL period is against the T.C.s but modifying for the purpose of forcing Verizon 3G roaming is definitely against the T.C.s

My point: if you're gonna be indignant about something that "costs" Sprint money, in the form of network capacity, then maybe you definitely shouldn't allow something that costs Sprint money, in the form of roaming fees, to be on your forums and for people to attach PRLs in their posts that directly and instantly costs Sprint money.

In this thread

http://s4gru.com/ind...zon-3g-roaming/

several mods participated in helping people force Verizon 3G roaming.

Huh?

And this

You are allotted 300mb for roaming it really doesn't matter how you use it. Running a different PRL can improve your experience with EVDO speeds. Its 300mb no matter how you slice it. Flashing a purely Verizon PRL to use for daily use is irresponsible but Sprint knows how to deal with that if contractual terms are breached.

We are not Sprint, it is not our responsibility to ensure users follow their terms and conditions. There are legitimate reasons for enthusiasts to flash custom PRLs.

Locking down discussion of their use because you dont like them is a selfish and a worthless attempt.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2