Sprint to put Google Wallet on 10 phones this year.

legion125

What does everyone think of this? Although I'm not a big shopper, in my area, I haven't seen to many terminals that accept GW. I think Google needs to step up its game and gain more acceptance. They have to gain scale and they have the name recognition to make something happen. It also seems that there are a lot of independent efforts out there getting their own versions out besides Isis. I don't know, I'm not feeling it yet.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57388835-85/sprint-promises-10-google-wallet-devices-this-year/?tag=cnetRiver

Sprint promises 10 Google Wallet devices this year

In addition to the LG Viper due out this spring, Sprint plans to add Google Wallet to nine other phones within the year.

The wireless payment service that lets you pay for items with your phone through an NFC chip, is currently available on only two phones: the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus.

According to Fierce Mobile Content, the vice president of Google Wallet and Payments, Osama Bedier, said that Google will continue talking to other operators, manufacturers, and financial institutions to expand the Wallet's reach.

CNET's own Marguerite Reardon, remains skeptical of the money service, given that it's still rarely featured despite being out since September 2011.

Along with security and privacy flaws, an upcoming rival service called Isis threatens Google Wallet's breadth. But for those who want Google Wallet to succeed, the news that Sprint plans to bolster the service with these yet-to-be-known phones should alleviate some concerns.

In addition to Google Wallet, the LG Viper will have a 4-inch Nova touchscreen display, a 1.2GHz dual-core CPU, a 5-megapixel rear camera, and a 1,700mAh battery. It will run on Android 2.3 Gingerbread, but will be upgradable to Ice Cream Sandwich later.

Read more: http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57388835-85/sprint-promises-10-google-wallet-devices-this-year/#ixzz1nurINqwb

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought you could use them at all Visa PayPass locations. I don't remember where I heard that. But if that's true, it opens up a lot more locations.

Robert via S4GRU Mobile

I did some checking. Looks like PayPass is a Mastercard venture that allows Visa, Discover and AmEx to piggyback. Now that Walmart & Target are developing there own ecosystem I wonder if there will be system or network sharing?