SouthernLINC Signs Nationwide GSM/UMTS Deal

Deval

This seems absurd. Why anyone would go with this is beyond me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'd prefer Sprint buying all of the SoLinc assets and moving the current customers to an implementation of PTToLTE.

• Like 2

I'd prefer Sprint buying all of the SoLinc assets and moving the current customers to an implementation of PTToLTE.

Nah. That's probably not a good idea. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if SouthernLINC is doing this as a transitionary measure. After all, SouthernLINC doesn't have another network to fall back to while shutting down iDEN. Now, SouthernLINC can move customers to PTT over UMTS and start working on an LTE-based PTT network.

Nah. That's probably not a good idea. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if SouthernLINC is doing this as a transitionary measure. After all, SouthernLINC doesn't have another network to fall back to while shutting down iDEN. Now, SouthernLINC can move customers to PTT over UMTS and start working on an LTE-based PTT network.

The problem is that T-Mobile does not have even remotely sufficient W-CDMA coverage in the Southeast to match SouthernLINC's iDEN footprint. Not to mention, SouthernLINC has scant spectrum to deploy LTE 800.

AJ

• Like 1

The problem is that T-Mobile does not have even remotely sufficient W-CDMA coverage in the Southeast to match SouthernLINC's iDEN footprint. Not to mention, SouthernLINC has scant spectrum to deploy LTE 800.

AJ

No one said that SouthernLINC has to convert the whole system at once. It's still doable, just tricky. Doesn't SouthernLINC have at least 1.4MHz FDD for iDEN across its footprint?

Where's SoLinc going to get the spectrum to do that? From T-Mobile? Now if T-Mobile and SoLinc announced network sharing in the SE, and built out rural LTE through that arrangement, I would watch that with great interest.

No one said that SouthernLINC has to convert the whole system at once. It's still doable, just tricky. Doesn't SouthernLINC have at least 1.4MHz FDD for iDEN across its footprint?

I think that's all they have to work with.

I think that's all they have to work with.

If they want to deploy LTE exclusively for a modern PTT system, then they can do it. But, I think SouthernLINC wants people to use iDEN less in some markets before they can begin testing it.

If they want to deploy LTE exclusively for a modern PTT system, then they can do it. But, I think SouthernLINC wants people to use iDEN less in some markets before they can begin testing it.

Wouldn't they have to get purpose-built devices to run the unique frequencies? Hell, they are holding onto iDen tightly because it works for their systems.

I do admit I know very little about them though.

Wouldn't they have to get purpose-built devices to run the unique frequencies? Hell, they are holding onto iDen tightly because it works for their systems.

I do admit I know very little about them though.

SouthernLINC will be able to take advantage of the 3GPP approval of band 26, just like Sprint can. They'll be fine. SouthernLINC also works rather closely with NII Holdings (who does business as Nextel International). They'll work in lockstep toward LTE.

SouthernLINC will be able to take advantage of the 3GPP approval of band 26' date=' just like Sprint can. They'll be fine. SouthernLINC also works rather closely with NII Holdings (who does business as Nextel International). They'll work in lockstep toward LTE.[/quote']

I though Sprint excluded LINC's spectrum from there request to the 3GPP?

I though Sprint excluded LINC's spectrum from there request to the 3GPP?

SouthernLINC operates roughly on the range 813.5 - 818.0 MHz/858.5 - 863 MHz. SouthernLINC can choose to use 3GPP band 26 or 3GPP band 27 for LTE equipment operating in its frequencies.

SouthernLINC will be able to take advantage of the 3GPP approval of band 26, just like Sprint can. They'll be fine. SouthernLINC also works rather closely with NII Holdings (who does business as Nextel International). They'll work in lockstep toward LTE.

I'm curious to see if they will go down the same route as SDC (qchat 2.0)