T-Mobile 4th quarter financials

bigsnake49

T-Mobile loses 515, 00 postpaid customers in Q4. But what stuck with me was the following:

Financials:

T-Mobile said total revenue for the quarter clocked in at $4.91 billion, with service revenue making up $4 billion of the total. Both figures were down year-over-year, with total revenue off 5.2 percent and service revenue down 9.2 percent. However, total revenue did improve sequentially for the second straight quarter. T-Mobile said branded contract revenue declined sequentially by 4.3 percent to $3.4 billion and 13.9 percent year-on-year, reflecting the increased sales of Value plans and the loss of branded contract customers.

Guest 503ducati

They are throwing a Hail Mary pass on this as it where, all in on "No Contract" and prepaid it appears. Total number of subscribers across the board over the last two years:

January 1st 2011 - present

AT&T

January 1st 2011 - 95.5 million total subscribers

January 1st 2013 - 107 million total subscribers

+11,500,000

Verizon

January 1st 2011 - 87.5 million total subscribers

January 1st 2013 - 98.2 million total subscribers

+10,700,000

Sprint

January 1st 2011 - 49.9 million total subscribers

January 1st 2013 - 55.6 million total subscribers

+5,700,000

T-Mobile

January 1st 2011 - 33.7 million total subscribers

January 1st 2013 - 33.3 million total subscribers

• Like 3

The article states that 1.3 million customers chose the "Value" plan in 4th quarter.

The real question is how many of those were new customers? Is the no subsidy pricing actually attracting a considerable amount of new customers, or are current tmobile subs just switching over to it? You could argue that the value plans deterred them from leaving, but I'm not convinced that a majority of customers who decide to leave tmobile are going to be retained through a plan change.... the elephant in the room for them, just like sprint, is THE NETWORK. Hesse's epiphany that "if our network doesn't meet your expectations, we should NOT give you the farm to keep you" was a healthy decision. I would switch to tmobile in a heartbeat with a subsidy and contract if they would go after upgrading all the large rural swaths of edge.

I predict the losses will continue once Metro and Tmo are one. Metro's combined assets will have little effect on the majority of tmobile's deficiencies.

• Like 1

The real question is how many of those were new customers? Is the no subsidy pricing actually attracting a considerable amount of new customers, or are current tmobile subs just switching over to it? You could argue that the value plans deterred them from leaving, but I'm not convinced that a majority of customers who decide to leave tmobile are going to be retained through a plan change...

As I understand it, a sub who switches over from a Classic plan to a Value plan must pay some sort of conversion fee. In other words, a sub cannot take a device subsidy on a Classic plan, then six months later decide to swap to a Value plan for a lower monthly rate.

AJ

I don't see LeGere shooting his mouth off anywhere in this report.

"You mean when T-Mobile announced LTE, and then they announced that they were behind, and then they announced the two markets they would announce later?"

Wheres that LTE from late January, LeGere? Right

They really shouldnt have hired this joker.

The article states that 1.3 million customers chose the "Value" plan in 4th quarter.

The real question is how many of those were new customers? Is the no subsidy pricing actually attracting a considerable amount of new customers, or are current tmobile subs just switching over to it? You could argue that the value plans deterred them from leaving, but I'm not convinced that a majority of customers who decide to leave tmobile are going to be retained through a plan change.... the elephant in the room for them, just like sprint, is THE NETWORK. Hesse's epiphany that "if our network doesn't meet your expectations, we should NOT give you the farm to keep you" was a healthy decision. I would switch to tmobile in a heartbeat with a subsidy and contract if they would go after upgrading all the large rural swaths of edge.

I predict the losses will continue once Metro and Tmo are one. Metro's combined assets will have little effect on the majority of tmobile's deficiencies.

It is the network. I hope by the end of 2014, Sprint has their network improvements finished. I don't necessarily mean have native service in Podunk, Montana, but have native service that's second to none in all the suburban and exurban areas and all the highways.

Wheres that LTE from late January, LeGere? Right

They really shouldnt have hired this joker.

I know. Instead of John Legere, you were hoping that T-Mobile would have hired Richard Gere.

I do not have a problem with Legere so much as I do with Neville Ray. If you are a middle aged man working in the wireless industry, you are in no way, shape, or form a "rock star." That description of Ray is one of the most ridiculous things that I have ever heard.

AJ