Sprint NV handout

I don't know. It's not a metric I watch or care about. Sprint is building out and converting its entire network. I follow the progress of each individual site. I'm more interested in geographical coverage.

Who cares how many theoretical people the network covers? I'm only interested in one POP...me. Where does it cover the places I go? POPs is a number for bureaucrats and investors. It's pretty meaningless, IMHO.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Yes I agree but isn't POPs proportional to geographic coverage?

Yes I agree but isn't POPs proportional to geographic coverage?

Not really. If you focus all your deployment on just primary and secondary markets, you can have an impressive POP number. If you focus on rural and tertiary markets, you can have a poor POP number. It all depends on where you serve and the density. You can make POP's mean a whole bunch of different things.

Also, I go places where there can be zero POP's, but I still need service there. Rural highways are great examples of places with little to no POPs.

To build a nationwide network of rural highways would only gain you one million POP's. So a carrier with 225M POPs could have very isolated coverage, but the same carrier with 226M POPs could have a nationwide highway network. But to just look at the difference between the two POP amounts, it would appear they offer the same amount of coverage. And geographically, the 226M POP carrier has triple the physical coverage area.

POPs just don't mean much. It's a bragging point, or something you file with the FCC. Would a company with the highest POPs in the country, but doesn't offer service where you go be of any value to you?

Also, another problem with POPs is it counts where people live. I don't need just service at my house. I need service where I go. A metric that measures where people go would be much more useful.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 16 November 2011

The new direct connect coverage map is impressive I just hope that most of that map is not roaming like it is now.

Most of it is roaming. The mods pounded it into our heads, in other threads, that Sprint will probably never match rural coverage of ATT and V even with its 800 MHz spectrum reframed to LTE and 1xA.

I think the Direct Connect call setup time is slightly longer on roaming.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a Sprint customer for over 13 years. It is issues like this that really have me on the fence! I really am finding myself at a crossroad here, although my recent trip to Las Vegas did restore some hope in Sprint's network, but I have to tell ya, T-Mobile is Knocking at my door. Currently, almost every phone on T-Mobiles line up does HD Voice.

Now I know of the technical hurdles Sprint faces with pulling this off, but when is enough, enough?

• Like 1

I have been a Sprint customer for over 13 years. It is issues like this that really have me on the fence! I really am finding myself at a crossroad here, although my recent trip to Las Vegas did restore some hope in Sprint's network, but I have to tell ya, T-Mobile is Knocking at my door. Currently, almost every phone on T-Mobiles line up does HD Voice.

Now I know of the technical hurdles Sprint faces with pulling this off, but when is enough, enough?

Could you expand a bit on what the issues are that have you on the Fence? Most of this thread is quite old as information goes, Sprint is nearly half through the NV project and the network has improved drastically in many markets, though not all.

I have no idea how my post ended up here! There was a thread about HD Voice and NV going on and that was where this was intended to go. David, since you are a moderator, could you remove this post and I will re-post this in the appropriate forum. Sorry about that!

Ed

I have no idea how my post ended up here! There was a thread about HD Voice and NV going on and that was where this was intended to go. David, since you are a moderator, could you remove this post and I will re-post this in the appropriate forum. Sorry about that!

Ed

Missed your post, or I would've! Looks like you got it in the right place as it is.