GS3 wireless charging kit

peteyz24

Has anyone heard any news on the wireless charging kit for sprints GS3. I searched the forum and didn't find anything recent. I also know that there are third party kits out there as well as a official samsung back plate for verizon phones. I have read that all of these will work on sprints gs3 but we would lose nfc capability.

Has anyone heard any news on the wireless charging kit for sprints GS3. I searched the forum and didn't find anything recent. I also know that there are third party kits out there as well as a official samsung back plate for verizon phones. I have read that all of these will work on sprints gs3 but we would lose nfc capability.

Still nothing from Samsung. There is a Powermat Case that I have been considering, but I really like my Otterbox Commuter and I haven't seen the powermat case in person, so I don't know how much bulk it adds or how well it protects the phone.

I am scouring the net looking for a case that provides good protection, allows NFC to operate, has an extended battery in the case, and has wireless charging built in. The touchstone type connection with strong magnets would be awesome for having in the car. I know I am dreaming on this, as it will probably have to be a custom job to get it all. Would be really cool though.

i did a little research on the custom touchstone job myself. not really sure i want to start doing that much to my gs3 yet. its just sitting on my coffee table, unactivated, warming up after riding around in cold ups trucks for the last few days. wireless charging is something that i would really like to use tho. its not that pluging a cable in is an issue. but my 2 phones prior to my og evo both went to the graveyard due to the charging ports being messed up. the less i have to stick something in there the better

Only for verizon's version. It will work with other carrier's versions but nfc will be lost. Apparently verizon's has 2 extra contacts behind the battery cover that are for the nfc antenna that is in the induction charging battery cover.

the less i have to stick something in there the better

Whoa ho ho ho...

:P

AJ

Only for verizon's version. It will work with other carrier's versions but nfc will be lost. Apparently verizon's has 2 extra contacts behind the battery cover that are for the nfc antenna that is in the induction charging battery cover.

Not sure about Verizon's model, haven't gotten a chance to take one of those apart.

The Sprint model however, the NFC antenna is built into the battery itself. There are two contacts to the left of the battery accessible for what I assume is an external battery or charging solution built into a different battery cover. I haven't been able to cleanly follow the copper on the PCB to figure out exactly where it goes on the board yet. My assumption based on those being the only contacts back there is that it would be for a wireless charging solution of some sort though.

Keep in mind that NFC is designed to operate at low distance (1-2 inches) and anything that gets in the way will interfere, like the magnetic coils required for a wireless charging solution. Probably the only thing that wouldn't interfere would be some sort of contact-based solution like the old blackberry docks where there is true metal contact for charging.

Not sure about Verizon's model' date=' haven't gotten a chance to take one of those apart.

The Sprint model however, the NFC antenna is built into the battery itself. There are two contacts to the left of the battery accessible for what I assume is an external battery or charging solution built into a different battery cover. I haven't been able to cleanly follow the copper on the PCB to figure out exactly where it goes on the board yet. My assumption based on those being the only contacts back there is that it would be for a wireless charging solution of some sort though.

Keep in mind that NFC is designed to operate at low distance (1-2 inches) and anything that gets in the way will interfere, like the magnetic coils required for a wireless charging solution. Probably the only thing that wouldn't interfere would be some sort of contact-based solution like the old blackberry docks where there is true metal contact for charging.[/quote']

There are 2 contacts on the left of the battery and 2 below the battery, next to the sim card. The Verizon wireless charging back has a wireless qi coil to charge the phone and a nfc coil built into the replacement back plate that uses the extra contacts that arent on the Sprint version.

IMG_20121202_020633.jpg

• Like 1

There are 2 contacts on the left of the battery and 2 below the battery, next to the sim card. The Verizon wireless charging back has a wireless qi coil to charge the phone and a nfc coil built into the replacement back plate that uses the extra contacts that arent on the Sprint version.

IMG_20121202_020633.jpg

thanks for the picture, tried to find one and i failed.

• Like 1

Interesting, especially since that looks like an identical battery to the Sprint version. That would mean the Verizon version has separate NFC antenna contact points on the board as well. Why is it that only Apple can tell carriers that the phone they make is the way it comes, no adjustments can be made. I mean the only differences between each "model" of iPhone worldwide is the frequency bands that they support, the hardware is physically the same.

• Like 1