Legacy towers vs Nv towers

Assuming only the 1900mhz band is active on both towers, would the nv have any better coverage than the legacy tower since the antennas are new?

Also if my dBm signal on 3g is -95 Rssi, would that be fairly quick on lte is converted to rssp?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Assuming only the 1900mhz band is active on both towers' date=' would the nv have any better coverage than the legacy tower since the antennas are new?

Also if my dBm signal on 3g is -95 Rssi, would that be fairly quick on lte is converted to rssp?

[/quote']

With the new NV equipment, you should see a gain in signal strength, thanks to the RRUs being mounted directly behind the antennas. This reduces the signal loss that would occur when running coax down the tower to the base cabinet.

Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this, but -95 RSSI would likely be a relatively weak signal for LTE. It should work fine, but you probably won't see speeds higher than about 5Mbps downstream.

• Like 3

-95dBm RSSI is the maximum threshold for LTE. Depending on your LTE device, you either will have a weak LTE signal, a spotty LTE signal or none at all.

The gain expected from legacy to NV gear should be between 1dBm and 5dBm, roughly. However, some indoor coverage will be unaffected because of material types. Large metal roofs, CMU (cinder block), stucco with metal lath, adobe are brutal for RF propagation. Also some types of windows block RF, dual/triple pane windows with argon spacing, LO-E glass and LO-E² glass are especially limiting to RF.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 3

-95dBm RSSI is the maximum threshold for LTE. Depending on your LTE device, you either will have a weak LTE signal, a spotty LTE signal or none at all.

The gain expected from legacy to NV gear should be between 1dBm and 5dBm, roughly. However, some indoor coverage will be unaffected because of material types. Large metal roofs, CMU (cinder block), stucco with metal lath, adobe are brutal for RF propagation. Also some types of windows block RF, dual/triple pane windows with argon spacing, LO-E glass and LO-E² glass are especially limiting to RF.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

My house is a hit or miss. I have -67dBm sometimes and then it jumps to -91dBm. My 3g speeds are 2.7mbps so I think lte will be fairly strong here. ;)

Thanks for the responses.

My house is a hit or miss. I have -67dBm sometimes and then it jumps to -91dBm. My 3g speeds are 2.7mbps so I think lte will be fairly strong here. ;)

Thanks for the responses.

With that drastic of a difference, you are likely on different sites when you have the weaker/stronger signals. So, I would feel good about that. You should be in a good spot for LTE from the -67dBm site.

Robert

• Like 1