Clear 3G

nahum365

Clearwire has no native 3G service.

AJ

Clearwire used Expedience 3G equipment by Motorola in their initial rollout of wireless internet and continues to operate that junk in the markets that they neglected to upgrade to WiMax.

Just ask someone in one of these markets:

• Aberdeen/Hoquiam WA
  • Anchorage AK
  • Anderson CA
  • Bend OR
  • Carson City NV
  • Central Point OR
  • Chico CA
  • Chippewa Falls WI
  • Clarkston WA
  • Cohasset Beach/Wesport WA
  • Corning CA
  • Dayton OH
  • Duluth MN
  • Eagle River AK
  • Eau Claire WI
  • Fernley NV
  • Grants Pass OR
  • Hermantown MN
  • Klamath Falls OR
  • Incline Village NV
  • Jacksonville OR
  • Lewiston ID
  • Longview TX
  • Madras OR
  • Medford OR
  • Middletown OH
  • Minden/Gardnerville NV
  • Moscow ID
  • Myrtle Creek OR
  • Orland CA
  • Paradise CA
  • Prineville OR
  • Proctor MN
  • Pullman WA
  • Red Bluff CA
  • Redding CA
  • Redmond OR
  • Reno/Sparks NV
  • Roseburg OR
  • St. Cloud MN
  • Shasta Lake CA
  • Sisters OR
  • South Lake Tahoe CA
  • Springfield OH
  • Stateline/Kingsbury NV
  • Superior WI
  • Wenatchee WA

Yes, notice the St. Cloud, MN.

Unless the use of OFDM makes it not 3G...

• Like 2

Clearwire's Pre WiMax technology is Expedience. While one could argue that Motorola Expedience is not a 3G technology per se, it had 3G performance characteristics.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying to this for so long, never saw the replies. A friend gave me a Clear 3G+4G device because he had no use for it anymore, so I just wanted to know about the 3G. I think its Sprint 3G though... I haven't activated it yet, not planning to. I had guessed that it was Sprint 3G based on Clear's 4G coverage map- just about every site in my area is collocated with Sprint.

This is one the reasons I greatly dislike the generic use of "3G" and "4G." For example, AT&T's so called "3G" and "4G" can be the very same W-CDMA airlink, and its "4G" can be either W-CDMA or LTE.

So, I advocate use of the actual name of the technology rather than some generic "G" moniker. In this case, Clear's "3G" is Sprint EV-DO roaming, and its "4G" is WiMAX native coverage.

AJ

• Like 3

This is one the reasons I greatly dislike the generic use of "3G" and "4G." For example, AT&T's so called "3G" and "4G" can be the very same W-CDMA airlink, and its "4G" can be either W-CDMA or LTE.

So, I advocate use of the actual name of the technology rather than some generic "G" moniker. In this case, Clear's "3G" is Sprint EV-DO roaming, and its "4G" is WiMAX native coverage.

AJ

AT&T being the biggest offender of that. In my 4 years with them, my "4G" has never seen the upper side of 4Mbps. Granted, my two months with Sprint haven't gotten close to my average 2Mbps with ATT, but its getting there.

cIXqo.png

Non-NV site there. At least it used to be non NV... It should appear in the complete sites map tomorrow.

AJ is absolutely correct. Clear 3G was always Sprint EVDO roaming. They never referred to their Expedience service as 3G. It just had the Clearwire brand. AS far as I know, there was never multi-technology devices ever created for Clearwire Expedience. I believe all Clearwire Expedience devices operated on the Expedience network only.

Prior to WiMax, the Expedience network was pretty large, covering approximately 75 markets in America (including Alaska & Hawaii). However, most of it was converted to WiMax. The only remaining Expedience markets still operating Scott listed above.

Robert

AJ is absolutely correct. Clear 3G was always Sprint EVDO roaming. They never referred to their Expedience service as 3G. It just had the Clearwire brand. AS far as I know, there was never multi-technology devices ever created for Clearwire Expedience. I believe all Clearwire Expedience devices operated on the Expedience network only.

Prior to WiMax, the Expedience network was pretty large, covering approximately 75 markets in America (including Alaska & Hawaii). However, most of it was converted to WiMax. The only remaining Expedience markets still operating Scott listed above.

Robert

So if I ever activate it (which I most likely won't), I would get Sprint NV 3G and Clear WiMax? Looks like my Voyager is going on eBay! EDIT: Gah, still no line breaks in Win8...

Robert

You are absolutely right. Many existing CLEAR 4G WiMAX Markets was once Clearwire Expedience Markets.

What were the speeds on Expedience?

Not particularly expeditious.

;)

AJ

I averaged 1.5-2Mbps in Nevada on my rural Expedience site back in 2006-2007.

Robert

Not bad. A lot better then what some people are dealing with here in 2012. Then again, there weren't millions of devices on Expediance.