How much onboard memory do you require from your phone?

pyroscott

Many smartphones have an expansion port that users can expand their onboard memory by up to 32GB (there is even 64GB cards making their way to the market), but it has been said that the external memory slows down the phone. I have read that all the apps and files that need to be accessed quickly should be kept on the phone memory and the rest can go to the SD. You have the HTC Evo 3D that has 1GB of internal memory, the Nexus S with 16GB but no option to add any more, then there is the Epic 4G Touch with 16GB internal and support for up to a 32GB micro SD.

So how much do you need for your apps and other stuff that should be kept on the memory that is faster to access? Or does it not matter and you will use the SD and shrug off the minor speed difference?

Personally I would use the SD and not be so anal about a slight slow down. But I would really try to keep all the apps that I use all the time on the internal memory. and use the SD card for stuff that doesn't matter as much. Music, pictures, ect.

So Internally I'd want at least 16GB. Thats what I have on my tablet and it seems to be enough for me.

Oh, and I wonder how much of this is due to people buying Huge SD cards but going for low speed classes? The 16GB cards I use in phones and tablets are class 10. (I know SD will always be slower than internal) But I really don't notice much of a slowdown or hesitation at all.

I think I'm with lrmcgarvey on this. I did have slight memory issues on my EVO with the 1/2gb-1/2gb memory configuration... but with the new phones sporting 16gb of storage + SD card, I'm more than happy... never have storage issues. I've been using Google Music lately, which helps with storage issues dramatically, too.

What I'm wondering about in regards to memory in general relates to RAM. With the original EVO, 1/2gb of ram was good.. then we saw 3/4gb pop up... seems we've been stuck at 1gb for a while. It just seems this is a spec that has not really been improved for a while now. I'm just wondering if this spec has remained stagnant because there is really no need for more ram, or if manufactures are just ignoring it. What do you guys think about RAM? I know on PC's it makes a difference. Do we need more RAM on our phones.. or is 1GB fine?

I have 16GB and 32GB micro SD

I was just saying today that I`m going to spring for a 64Gig microSD

one of these days! $150 is pretty steep tho!

That is pretty steep. I'm sure they will come down in price sooner or later.

I bought 2 32gb cards around Christmas from Amazon. Now I have to give one to the wife because the nexus doesn't take cards :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

That is pretty steep. I'm sure they will come down in price sooner or later.

I bought 2 32gb cards around Christmas from Amazon. Now I have to give one to the wife because the nexus doesn't take cards :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Aww man what the h3ll ?