Will all of Sprints new LTE phones come with Ice Cream Sandwich installed?

Robert

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 15 November 2011

With the announcement of android 4.0 I'm assuming all of our upgrades will be with new software. I know the next line of HTC phones will come with it. So not only will we get faster phones but they'll be able to do more too. Very exciting!!

Nothing is set in stone.. but yes.. I'd be willing to bet all of the Android LTE devices will have ICS. I could only see a low end phone still getting GB still... and LTE won't be on anything low-mid range for awhile.

By the time LTE hits.. most of our CURRENT devices should be seeing ICS via custom ROMs.

Since there are no Sprint device releases that I'm aware of in the next 60 days or so, I think there will be little to any more devices that will be released on anything less than 4.0. Especially flagship devices. And since LTE devices from Sprint will not be out until next summer, I think it's a good assumption that Sprint's Android LTE devices will be on ICS. Although, supposedly the new iPhone 5 will come out next summer with LTE support too. But will it run on Sprint's LTE frequencies?

But who cares about iOS, this is an Android thread!

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 5 January 2012

I kinda doubt it. Here's why... Sprint has been very good with phone releases lately at providing their WiMax service to even medium range phones. I anticipate that they will continue that trend well into their LTE development and beyond as it is a big draw for customers with a budget. The problem lies in the fact that some of these mid-range phones will just not be able to run ICS well or at all. With hardware as a limitation I am sure we will see many midrange phones still running Gingerbread but with LTE. It is just good business.

I think you're right about value phones running on Gingerbread for a long while still.

Android will continue to be fragmented for the next several years. The main purpose for ICS was to get everything on the same page i.e. phones & tablets. What makes it intriguing is that every new phone will have to have the hardware to optimize the OS, so all the new phones s/b pretty sweet spec wise. Since the NS4G (a GS1 phone) can run vanilla ICS with no problem, I think you won't see any android phone with specs less than that except for those in the rooting community who could probable put ICS on the Hero.

Dual and quad core processors will be the new standard. Samsung is still irritating me with its half promises about upgrading phones and when (See GS1). But obviously the GS1 can't handle ICS because of Touchwiz and Sprint bloatware. So gingerbread may still have some value for the next couple of years.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 6 January 2012

Not only does ICS take up double the physical space of Gibgerbeead, but it takes almost double the system resources. It'll run great on newer powerful flagship phones. But not AK good on Evo/Epic generation and older phones.