Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

define "crashed"

When connected to it, won't send/receive calls or text.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

When connected to it, won't send/receive calls or text.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

Mine was "crashed" yesterday morning and I left it unplugged all day. Plugged it in before I went to bed. Wouldn't do anything this AM. It's unplugged right now, which periodically lets me connect to my neighbor's Airave which appears to be working just fine.

I have the 2.5 model, not the new release version they started sending out in Oct.

Crashed for me is normally the GPS light turn read and nothing connects I have to reboot it to get it working again. It's not the location of my GPS.

That's what is weird about mine, all the lights were green.  Oh well, enough of the airave talk unless it does something really freaky lol

mine had a flashing red gps light this morning but i was still connected to it. rebooted it with the reset pin, long press 10 seconds and it's been fine since.

as for the 800, if there's no usable pcs in range your phone will scan the 800 channels. pickerington's 800 is quite strong. 

as for the airave connection problems, it's a draw. the phone looks for usable signal, once found it hangs on to it until it has a reason to look for better signal, unless you're roaming which you're phone will scan for non-roaming signals. my neighbor's airave is on the same channel as mine. probably adds to my woes.

It's about time that tower has been bad for a few months...  No data access even at -50 to -60db within 500-1000 feet of that tower....  It will probably end up like the 270/main st one though where they finish it but don't flip the switch so there is little to no improvement....  I cannot wait for a real east-side switch flip....  It's bad when you can't even check maps or waze to get around traffic...

I was at the Sprint store on Hamilton, and while trying to show the rep what my phone was doing, we had it on wifi.  Needless to say, it was slow.  The store rep told me that their wifi is actually a Sprint data card and it's connected to the tower on Hamilton and 70.  So, every phone in that store that is connected to WIFI, is actually connected to the same tower that your 3G phone is and the horrible data speeds are due to that.  

I was at the Sprint store on Hamilton, and while trying to show the rep what my phone was doing, we had it on wifi.  Needless to say, it was slow.  The store rep told me that their wifi is actually a Sprint data card and it's connected to the tower on Hamilton and 70.  So, every phone in that store that is connected to WIFI, is actually connected to the same tower that your 3G phone is and the horrible data speeds are due to that.  

So that means that really you'll get worse performance on the wifi than on 3g, since everyone on wifi is sharing one single connection to the 3g instead of getting on their own channel.  How silly.

• Like 1

So that means that really you'll get worse performance on the wifi than on 3g, since everyone on wifi is sharing one single connection to the 3g instead of getting on their own channel.  How silly.

I agree that it makes no sense now.  But band 41 LTE is up at I-70 and Hamilton, thus with the right modem it might get a significant speed boost.  I like to do band 41 speed tests in front of sprint stores to help them out.  Is this store at 2367 S Hamilton Rd?

• Like 2

I came across some information today, (Thanks to a Master Cable Tech out to fix my internet)  I don't know if it is related to LTE turning on or not, but I do know Time Warner is handling some of the fiber to certain sites....In the former insight Cable area they are building a "superhub" at the old insight cable building on Livingston...  It won't be completed until the end of January at the earliest, This could be one of the reasons that we aren't seeing completed sites in the insight communications area being lit up since the area is still not upgraded to Diocis 3 and they are waiting until the hub is up before lighting up...  The back-haul terminus isn't ready yet....  On another note the old insight area will finally be able to get better internet speeds for residential once it goes live...  Finally....

May or may not be related but I figured I'd share....

If you look at the old insight communications service area it is very similar in shape to the sensorly LTE blackhole on the eastside...

I came across some information today, (Thanks to a Master Cable Tech out to fix my internet)  I don't know if it is related to LTE turning on or not, but I do know Time Warner is handling some of the fiber to certain sites....In the former insight Cable area they are building a "superhub" at the old insight cable building on Livingston...  It won't be completed until the end of January at the earliest, This could be one of the reasons that we aren't seeing completed sites in the insight communications area being lit up since the area is still not upgraded to Diocis 3 and they are waiting until the hub is up before lighting up...  The back-haul terminus isn't ready yet....  On another note the old insight area will finally be able to get better internet speeds for residential once it goes live...  Finally....

May or may not be related but I figured I'd share....

TWC bought Insight Communications.  What they are doing could be just part of integrating and upgrading because ( for instance )  some TWC cities are now offering 100 Mbps download.. Columbus curently has 50 Mbps as its premium option, but someone told me they were preparing to bring it here..  I'm not saying that what you said above couldn't be tied in somewhere either...

• Like 1

TWC bought Insight Communications.  What they are doing could be just part of integrating and upgrading because ( for instance )  some TWC cities are now offering 100 Mbps download.. Columbus curently has 50 Mbps as its premium option, but someone told me they were preparing to bring it here..

The cable network run by formerly insight (Now TWC) here in columbus is very poor, TWC has been upgrading the lines since they took over, but 90% of us customers who are stuck in the former insight area are maxed at the 20Mbps (Turbo) Tier...  This is because the old Roadrunner equipment is only Diocis 2... Even TWC Business class has the slower speed caps when compared to the rest of the TWC service area.  They are upgrading to Diocis 3 finally...  If you are in the former insight area you do not have the option for 30 or 50 yet and won't until this "superhub" comes online....

The cable network run by formerly insight (Now TWC) here in columbus is very poor, TWC has been upgrading the lines since they took over, but 90% of us customers who are stuck in the former insight area are maxed at the 20Mbps (Turbo) Tier...  This is because the old Roadrunner equipment is only Diocis 2... Even TWC Business class has the slower speed caps when compared to the rest of the TWC service area.  They are upgrading to Diocis 3 finally...  If you are in the former insight area you do not have the option for 30 or 50 yet and won't until this "superhub" comes online....

You may have bad feeds into your area, I'm in former Insight off Pickerington Road. My area is fed from a pole mounted fiber node (the white cannister looking things hanging on the cable suspension). For the two months I was a real Insight customer, I paid for 20 mb and actually got 45 (on DOCSIS 2 no less). Then once the PITA TWC took over, spped to a nosedive along with modem lockups! Those fools couldn't engineer their way out of a cardboard box. Too many arguments with too many engineers. Too many times living in TWC only areas with signal at my tap of -8 on a good day which is pretty bad. Too many times of their techs not having the ability to troubleshoot problems with any method other than swapping parts.

TWC has hub buildings all over the metro area. When I put the alarms in them, there were 27 buildings all with redundant fibers from hub to hub, cris-crossed to each other so that if one backbone goes down, they have redundancy through the other hubs. The last one I worked on was Westerville. After I left that company TWC bought Adelphia Cable out Pataskala way and built hubs in Licking/Fairfield counties. I know TWC had fiber to the WSFJ transmitter sites, the old one at 13/70 and the new one at 161/310. 

I'm sure this mega-hub may come into play, but I think it's for something else. 

You may have bad feeds into your area, I'm in former Insight off Pickerington Road. My area is fed from a pole mounted fiber node (the white cannister looking things hanging on the cable suspension). For the two months I was a real Insight customer, I paid for 20 mb and actually got 45 (on DOCSIS 2 no less). Then once the PITA TWC took over, spped to a nosedive along with modem lockups! Those fools couldn't engineer their way out of a cardboard box. Too many arguments with too many engineers. Too many times living in TWC only areas with signal at my tap of -8 on a good day which is pretty bad. Too many times of their techs not having the ability to troubleshoot problems with any method other than swapping parts.

TWC has hub buildings all over the metro area. When I put the alarms in them, there were 27 buildings all with redundant fibers from hub to hub, cris-crossed to each other so that if one backbone goes down, they have redundancy through the other hubs. The last one I worked on was Westerville. After I left that company TWC bought Adelphia Cable out Pataskala way and built hubs in Licking/Fairfield counties. I know TWC had fiber to the WSFJ transmitter sites, the old one at 13/70 and the new one at 161/310. 

That's about my experience too, they were never great but the service was okay...  I was getting 30-50 on D2 before TWC purchased them...  Since then they have been out 3-4 times per month to "Fix" Problems and the CS is terrible... 

According to the Tech that building will be the main hub for the Columbus area taking main duties off of Westerville and Hilliard...  But who knows with TWC, They really can't engineer their network to save their lives....

That's about my experience too, they were never great but the service was okay...  I was getting 30-50 on D2 before TWC purchased them...  Since then they have been out 3-4 times per month to "Fix" Problems and the CS is terrible... 

According to the Tech that building will be the main hub for the Columbus area taking main duties off of Westerville and Hilliard...  But who knows with TWC, They really can't engineer their network to save their lives....

Are they leaving the Chambers Road as the NOC?

I agree that it makes no sense now.  But band 41 LTE is up at I-70 and Hamilton, thus with the right modem it might get a significant speed boost.  I like to do band 41 speed tests in front of sprint stores to help them out.  Is this store at 2367 S Hamilton Rd?

I am planning on stopping by that store, my third GS3 is acting weird again and doing something stupid.  It's playing sound through the earpiece instead of streaming music via bluetooth, just like my previous 2 replacements.  No idea why.  Phone calls work fine, but audio streaming is really jacked up.  

Anyway, while there, I'll turn WIFI off on some of the Tri-band headsets and see if they pick up LTE in the store.

I am planning on stopping by that store, my third GS3 is acting weird again and doing something

stupid.  It's playing sound through the earpiece instead of streaming music via bluetooth, just like my previous 2 replacements.  No idea why.  Phone calls work fine, but audio streaming is really jacked up.  

Anyway, while there, I'll turn WIFI off on some of the Tri-band headsets and see if they pick up LTE in the store.

Unless something has changed in the last few days,good luck with that. I tried on the Nexus there Tuesday.

• Like 1

I live in a TWC area.. Ive mentioned it before in other threads but I have the 50 Mpbs down and 5 MPbs up right now.. So im waiting for the 100 to be available in Columbus .. but DOCSIS 3.1 platform supports capacities of at least 10 Gbit/s down and 1 Gbit/s up using 4096 QAM. Not sure how far that is though.. 

When I had Insight I felt they were much worse in everything.  I had intermittent speed issues and it took 10 techs for one of them to finally figure out a squirrel had chewed into a cable in the attic - which breached the shielding in the cable.  Not sure if it was leaking or a combination of that and interference- but the result was my cable speeds going from 17 Mbps down to 1 Mbps or less.. and just as bad was the latency which went from 100 to over 1000... Also the cable guide and switching of stations was a bit more laggy and less responsive.  I suppose TWC was like that about 7 yrs ago.. but Insight is about 7 yrs behind  TWC

I'm paying for the 50 Mpbs down and 5 up with TWC now and I get about 53 down and about 6 up.. so I'm getting above the advertised speeds of what I'm paying for ( they say up to, but I'm getting above the "up to" speeds ) .. when I formerly had the 30 down and 5 up about  7 months ago I also got above those speeds..

Of course you have to consider some areas are more heavily loaded.  Maybe TWC cable has balanced those areas out better then Insight - part of that goes with Docsis 3 (TWC ) over Docsis 2 ( Insight ).. Docsis 3 can have more data streams which means you get less drops and less latency., but  when you have more people sharing a blade you tend to get worse speeds during peak hours which effects Docsis 2 more so... When I had insight I saw these dips in speed much more often.  I rarely see them if at all with TWC.

Ok here goes, hopefully I get these all in order.

270/Westerville Rd -- No work

Westerville South HS -- No work

Otterbein -- Looks like RRH's to me, odd configuration with them next to the antenna.

2013-12-28%2009.59.15.jpg

SR3 north of Maxtown, Northlawn Memorial Gardens -- Has base cabinets, no RRHs

2013-12-28%2010.12.17.jpg

2013-12-28%2010.13.16.jpg

East of Genoa Middle School -- RRHs and base cabs

2013-12-28%2010.44.06.jpg

Westerville North HS -- RRHs and base cabs

2013-12-28%2010.52.20.jpg

Central College Church -- RRHs, presume base cabs

2013-12-28%2010.59.36.jpg

SR161/North Hamilton Rd -- Base cabs I think, waiting on Josh to add his findings

Morse/North Hamilton Rd -- No work, gonna be uuuuuuuuglyyyyyy,

Morse/Reynoldsburg-New Albany Rd -- No work, power transmission tower

Havens Corners/Reynoldsburg-New Albany Rd -- Missed this one somehow

Taylor Rd/Reynoldsburg-New Albany Rd -- Looks like RRHs at a distance because of the dreads, up close there's so much stuff I couldn't tell.

Lancaster Ave South of Broad -- No work, power transmission tower

Morrison Road -- No apparent work.

Also checked sites down Dublin Rd, 670, 71, 70 east -- no work

I would imagine that north of Westerville and northeast of New Albany will get let up soon considering most everything else north of SR161 is lit up. Two more working days before the 1st. 

Updated the spreadsheet. Should be more black dots now and WIP.

• Like 6

I am planning on stopping by that store, my third GS3 is acting weird again and doing something stupid.  It's playing sound through the earpiece instead of streaming music via bluetooth, just like my previous 2 replacements.  No idea why.  Phone calls work fine, but audio streaming is really jacked up.  

Unless something has changed in the last few days,good luck with that. I tried on the Nexus there Tuesday.

I was there on Saturday and switched every Triband device off wifi and made sure they had LTE as connection of choice, and I got nothing but 3G.  Just checked Sensorly, and it shows LTE on 70 from downtown to past 256.  I couldn't pick up anything on Saturday on my GS3 and I don't know on which bands the mapping was done.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

On the side note, Microcenter has Nexus 5 for like $38 with contract and LG G2 for $100.  I was so tempted to buy one when I was there.  Soooooo tempted.

• Like 1