Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Okay. I wanted to edit that last post but the system has been up and down all day because of the tower. My company operates through Sprint's towers (yippie). But the quailcomm's have been down so my drivers haven't been recieving their information until they leave the area.

Yes Coz, I did reset the data connection when everything started to happen. I finally got EHRPD around 18:00. I know which tower is shooting out the 1x 800. Screen shot coming shortly.

You'll still run into the capacity issue with 1x800. If their phone still prefers 1900 over 800, you will still have voice capacity issues unless a C.O.W. is dispatched during events. You also have to account for the 100,000 at the shoe as well as students still on campus. Now in terms of 3G/4G data. It all depends on how many people update to Dual/Tri - Band handsets as well as how priority is going to be handled on those devices (which we currently don't know). Only one can hope things will become at least manageable with NV updates.

There's three solutions that I know of for these scenarios:

1. COWs (Cell On Wheels) - they are just that, temporary cell sites brought in for special events for added capacity.

2. DAS (Distributed Antenna Systems) - many stadiums these days are having these installed, paid for by the carriers. I'm just learning about these but basically they're a small network of antenna distributed around a high density area. Verizon put this in at Browns Stadium (First Energy Stadium) and the browns are touting it as a "better fan experience" because your cell phone will now work...unless you're not on Verizon (or AT&T, but I havent confirmed that). I can tell you my phone was worthless this past Sunday, but the win was worth a heated paperweight in my pocket!

3. 2.6 ghz spectrum - once rolled out, Sprint has such a huge amount of spectrum, this should help in dense areas such as stadiums and concerts.

None of these are perfect solutions, anytime you have that many people in one place, a network is gong to be strained. But ANY of them are better than what most of us have experienced while at an event.

Anyone map around OSU especially when there is a football game? Everytime I have been there have had almost no service even including text only.

I had no issues at the game and it was also the first time my phone connected to 4G.

Was able to use twitter, fb, upload pictures.   Now directly outside the stadium (around the towers) I had connection issues.

Anybody else having data issues this morning? Hoping its the pre-acceptance jitters. Seeing more cell holes filled in with hardware.

I've been good, but you and I are on different sides of the city. What site are you connecting to?

Anybody else having data issues this morning? Hoping its the pre-acceptance jitters. Seeing more cell holes filled in with hardware.

I have, but that's nothing new. Data issues have just been a fact of life with sprint in my area for over a year, ever since I got an iPhone 5.

Very bad data here near Dublin at the President's Cup (Large influx of people though).

Can't stream Netflix or YouTube, it's even hard to post with tapatalk.

I've been good, but you and I are on different sides of the city. What site are you connecting to?

Wish band 41 was live here, sitting right next to a Clearwire phase 2 tower. Can't wait to get a triband phone.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

uploadfromtaptalk1380736979432.jpg

Very bad data here near Dublin at the President's Cup (Large influx of people though).

Can't stream Netflix or YouTube, it's even hard to post with tapatalk.

Wish band 41 was live here, sitting right next to a Clearwire phase 2 tower. Can't wait to get a triband phone.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

By the time you get a Tri-Band phone, Phase 2 will probably be done.

Sprint Care replied to my tweet of bad data in northern columbus, but we'll see if this comes true

@TheJohnYan Looks like that tower's not reporting data, submitting a note to the techs. LTE's scheduled to go to in the next 90 days! *CMM

https://twitter.com/sprintcare/status/385471171698769921

Edited by jyan_osu

Sprint Care replied to my tweet of bad data in northern columbus, but we'll see if this comes true

@TheJohnYan Looks like that tower's not reporting data, submitting a note to the techs. LTE's scheduled to go to in the next 90 days! *CMM

Oh, wow. Lol. I can tweet to them all my frustrations? [Eeeeeeeevil laughter] knowledge IS power! Oh boy.

• Like 1

St Ann's, Reynoldsburg near 270/broad & 270/main, james/70, 33/104, 33/bixby rd. All very close to cells. The last one in what I call the sprint zone, where new and old collide.

That's just a typical response from them unfortunately. Ask Digiblur about tweeting @SprintCare. LOL.

That's just a typical response from them unfortunately. Ask Digiblur about tweeting @SprintCare. LOL.

I've dealt with @SprintCare many times in the past so I know how it goes. I didn't even ask about LTE and they threw that in there. As they say, we shall see.

I don't doubt 90 days until things in this market improve drastically. That puts us Q1 2014 which is pretty much a little ahead of schedule for our markets launch. When you look at the number of converted sites, in our market, things are moving. They lit up 3G in Delaware, Fairfield and Knox and morrow counties in a short amount of time of each other. Theyre lighting up the us35 and us33 corridors, fayette county. Also starting to see towers in Columbus made ready for what seems like will be a massive flip to NV. Just have to endure, right? At least the leaves are coming off the trees which may help with signal penetration.

• Like 1

wow, quite the testament to the distance of 800...

I was up on Broad St near McNaughten rd and picked up this signal...  Easily more than 10 miles away...  Actually had usable voice signal while connected too...  I'm on the stock PRL...

That area on broad has always been a hole for both voice and data for sprint...  The data was non-existent, but the voice was fine for once...

post-2286-0-62921800-1380830304_thumb.png

post-2286-0-28257400-1380830319_thumb.png

• Like 3

-97 EVDO is kinda typical for me in lots of places and works okay. Have -104 or so in some areas and it gets kinda flakey there.

Data is normally slow as, well, slower than most things, but stable at that level usually, but in that area the capacity is so poor normally not even speedtest, or even just maps or the lowest bandwidth app will recognize an active data connection...

So does anybody know if Clearwire/sprint has started shuttering WiMax sites and doing some 2.6 ghz work (i assume)  I'm noticing increased speeds on WiMax but also decreased coverage in areas around canal/pickerington/reynoldsburg which correclates to the NV work thats being done in the area. I have had the patience of a saint during the upgrades but I literally drop my calls about 5 or 6 times on my way home (refugee to gender to groveport road) Where before NV i dropped once on Groveport road.

So does anybody know if Clearwire/sprint has started shuttering WiMax sites and doing some 2.6 ghz work (i assume)  I'm noticing increased speeds on WiMax but also decreased coverage in areas around canal/pickerington/reynoldsburg which correclates to the NV work thats being done in the area. I have had the patience of a saint during the upgrades but I literally drop my calls about 5 or 6 times on my way home (refugee to gender to groveport road) Where before NV i dropped once on Groveport road.

As for the non-usable data and dropped calls, you are experiencing the incompatibility between the legacy Motorola cell sites and the NV Samsung sites. For me, from along 33 and about Bowen Rd to Hamilton Rd is totally useless. It gets better to almost 270 and then is again unusable until almost 104. The latter is due to a lack of coverage. It's not too bad if you flash a 800 priority PRL as you'll be on NV sites through most of that area. 

As for the WiMax TDE2600 rollouts, I'm not sure if they've started or not. The WiMax site on Shannon Rd west of Brice looks a little different. T-Mobile has definitely put 4G on that cell but I think the WiMax antennas look a little different. 

Something I did notice on the way home tonight was that the Basil Western Rd tower was not allowing data connections, only voice. That may mean good things to come soon. When I snapped this, I had passed the cell and was about a half mile away.

2013-10-03%2017.43.42.png

Yeah my parents live right on 33 and Pickerington Rd, their service kind of sucks even with the tower being less than a mile away.I knew the hard hand offs would happen, but not for as long as they have been. It's been over a month now. I will be keeping my sprint account with 5 lines open, but my primary line is becoming Verizon because of a new job requiring it. I'm going to try out this AWS theyre rolling out and see if its any good :)

As for the non-usable data and dropped calls, you are experiencing the incompatibility between the legacy Motorola cell sites and the NV Samsung sites. For me, from along 33 and about Bowen Rd to Hamilton Rd is totally useless. It gets better to almost 270 and then is again unusable until almost 104. The latter is due to a lack of coverage. It's not too bad if you flash a 800 priority PRL as you'll be on NV sites through most of that area. 

As for the WiMax TDE2600 rollouts, I'm not sure if they've started or not. The WiMax site on Shannon Rd west of Brice looks a little different. T-Mobile has definitely put 4G on that cell but I think the WiMax antennas look a little different. 

Something I did notice on the way home tonight was that the Basil Western Rd tower was not allowing data connections, only voice. That may mean good things to come soon. When I snapped this, I had passed the cell and was about a half mile away.

2013-10-03%2017.43.42.png