Cell Tower IDs

Is there any data we get from an app like RF Tracker or Network Info that can be used to positively ID what tower we are connected to?I know there is the whole issue about different sectors being assigned different BSID, but does the Network ID or System ID give us anyway to determine exactly what tower we are connected to? What info exactly does the System and Network ID provide?

Is there any data we get from an app like RF Tracker or Network Info that can be used to positively ID what tower we are connected to?I know there is the whole issue about different sectors being assigned different BSID, but does the Network ID or System ID give us anyway to determine exactly what tower we are connected to? What info exactly does the System and Network ID provide?

The IDS captured by the apps are from the CDMA network hierarchy. There is no resource we know of here that correlates them in a handy table with the Sprint tower IDs. But with the S4GRU maps in hand as a sort of Rosetta Stone, you know where the towers actually are. So when surveying with the apps to capture the CDMA IDs and the coordinates they squawk -- I prefer CDMA Field Test -- it is usually possible to figure out which tower is which. You might need to deliberately circle around each tower site to log all the BSIDs, which typically are sequentially assigned to the three sectors of each tower.

Each tower usually fits one of two patterns:

• All three sector radios broadcast the actual coordinates of the tower.
  • Each sector broadcasts unique coordinates that are offset some distance away, and the three points form a triangle around the tower.

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation. Do we have an estimate of what percentage of towers broadcast their true coordinates vs "sectorizes" them? I know my local tower goes the sector route, but I haven't really paid attention to others in the area.

Thanks for the explanation. Do we have an estimate of what percentage of towers broadcast their true coordinates vs "sectorizes" them? I know my local tower goes the sector route' date=' but I haven't really paid attention to others in the area.[/quote']

It varies by market.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner