Android rides GS3, HTC One series to large market share

pyroscott

Q2 2012 numbers are out on Smartphone shipments and the Android OS has jumped out to a 68.1% market share from 46.9 in Q2 2011 shipping a whopping 104.8 million units compared to 50.8 million a year ago.

Even though they sold 27.5% more phones in Q2 2012 than Q2 2011, Apple's market share shrunk slightly 16.9%. It will be interesting to see what a generational change in Apple's iPhone does to market share in the tail end of Q3 and especially Q4.

The Symbian OS took the greatest hit, losing 12.5% of the market share followed by Blackberry who lost 6.7% compared to Q2 2011

Windows phone picked up some steam gaining 1.2% to end up at a 3.5% market share, but still has a long way to go before it can be considered competition to Android or iOS. It is gaining on Symbian and Blackberry however, and may overtake them in Q3.

Full details here http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23638712

• Like 1

Thanks for the updated stats, Scott. Now, be sure to lock this thread preemptively on your way out.

AJ

• Like 1

Thanks for the updated stats, Scott. Now, be sure to lock this thread preemptively on your way out.

AJ

Probably should.

Warning S4GRU members, do not start a firestorm of Apple v Android comments or this will be locked. Everyone has their opinions on which OS is better, and you know what they say about opinions... They are like a certain body part, everyone has one and they stink. :P

• Like 1

I wonder how much this will change when the iPhone 5 is released. I know a couple of people that are waiting on it. I know my wife is waiting for the 5 to come out.. she eligable for an upgrade, but has said for a couple of months that she wants an iPhone. Took all it had, but I decided to stay with her regardless of that fact :P

• Like 1

I fully believe it. I've seen a decline in iphones for a while now. Everyone states that just liked the newer phones that could do more and had bigger screens. I really don't see the numbers increasing much when the 5 comes out. You're going to have the typical ones that do their yearly milking of the wallet every time a new iphone comes out. People that upgraded from the iphone to android are locked in now and probably won't upgrade for at least a year. Unless there's something really groundbreaking I doubt they would pony up for the new device either. If the trend continues with Apple it will be a device with 1 to 1.5 yr old technology that Apple's awesome marketing dept will put a spin on that people will believe is brand new technology never seen before. Kinda of like the 4 inch rumored screen. Phones with bigger than 4 inches were selling 2 years ago. It will probably have 4G. When did 4G(LTE/Wimax) devices start selling? 2+ years ago. It will probably have NFC. When did NFC start showing up? And the list goes on and on....

Apple's marketing dept is hands down the best one in the world! I really have to give them a high five there!

• Like 1

Well that didn't take long.

I didn't look at the link but I wonder how much of that market share is from Gingerbread and earlier iterations?