Network Vision/LTE - Miami/West Palm Market

Mondays In Flames

Today I'm getting LTE for the first time at work in Plantation. I'm on Pine Island and Peters, a few blocks north of 595. Only 1 bar but still getting decent speeds.

I work in the pink building (Aetna) in plantation!!!!

Where are you????

Yeah so like I said, it usually takes a couple minutes for it to show on Sensorly.com etc (by my experience).

About how fast LTE is: only place I have experienced fast LTE (as in 25 megs download like you just experienced) has been in the Miami Gardens tower on 47th ave and 183rd st. The towers by the Palmetto and 836 have always been less than 1 meg download! (i have posted about this before and Robert said it might be backhaul etc).

SW westchester coral way and 87th ave picked up as fast as 31 megs like 2 weeks ago.

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...

I went on google maps an used street view to look at this tower. Can any one tell me which rack is sprints an are those lte pannels.

http://db.tt/snJxj8ok

http://db.tt/p0rCoCVZ

http://db.tt/X8iFmH2K

http://db.tt/p18PYnLK

Some one at sprint told me there was a tower complete by the turnpike in my area an I'm wondering if this is it

I went on google maps an used street view to look at this tower. Can any one tell me which rack is sprints an are those lte pannels.

http://db.tt/snJxj8ok

http://db.tt/p0rCoCVZ

http://db.tt/X8iFmH2K

http://db.tt/p18PYnLK

Some one at sprint told me there was a tower complete by the turnpike in my area an I'm wondering if this is it

Even if the tower was complete, there is no way the panels would show up on Googles street view. Those images are at least several months old at the best, probably over a year old. Any new panels would only have been there a month at the longest.

I can't tell for sure, but best guess is that Sprint is the second rack, but really not sure about that. Not even sure if this is a sprint tower.

Concerned about building penetration... So I was on Hollywood Blvd by the two LTE towers and got strong signal (amazing speeds). Drove a few blocks, well within the range of one of the towers and had 3 bars (iphone 5) and had speeds around 10 mbps. I went into a Walgreens and signal reverted back to 3G. Tried airplane mode and back to data and still on 3G. As soon as I got outside, back to LTE with 8 mbps down. I'm really concerned building penetration is Wimax-esque. Whats the point of having these amazing speeds if we can only use them outside or by a tower. :( This has been my biggest concern with Sprint's LTE frequency.

Concerned about building penetration... So I was on Hollywood Blvd by the two LTE towers and got strong signal (amazing speeds). Drove a few blocks, well within the range of one of the towers and had 3 bars (iphone 5) and had speeds around 10 mbps. I went into a Walgreens and signal reverted back to 3G. Tried airplane mode and back to data and still on 3G. As soon as I got outside, back to LTE with 8 mbps down. I'm really concerned building penetration is Wimax-esque. Whats the point of having these amazing speeds if we can only use them outside or by a tower. :( This has been my biggest concern with Sprint's LTE frequency.

Building penetration will be MUCH better than WiMax. Similar to that of Sprint's 3G. However, (all) LTE signals are more fragile than 3G, you need a stronger LTE signal to be able to use it than you do for 3G.

However, in your case, what you are experiencing is most likely due to the way cell sites are deployed in a city: densely with a severe downtilt creating very small footprints. Once more sites are upgraded in that area, you probably will stop having that problem. But keep in mind, that no carrier guaranties LTE coverage inside. The variability of building construction materials and the effect they have on cell signals makes it impossible for the signal to penetrate all building.

Building penetration will be MUCH better than WiMax. Similar to that of Sprint's 3G. However, (all) LTE signals are more fragile than 3G, you need a stronger LTE signal to be able to use it than you do for 3G.

However, in your case, what you are experiencing is most likely due to the way cell sites are deployed in a city: densely with a severe downtilt creating very small footprints. Once more sites are upgraded in that area, you probably will stop having that problem. But keep in mind, that no carrier guaranties LTE coverage inside. The variability of building construction materials and the effect they have on cell signals makes it impossible for the signal to penetrate all building.

I appreciate your response! thanks for the info. I guess I'm just concerned because its not like I was in a basement or elevator or something like that, I was right off the Hlwd blvd (a mile at most from the tower) in a small Walgreens. I've seen strong LTE signals from Verizon and ATT in the middle of Aventura mall.. But I dont wana seem like I'm bashing Sprint cuz that is not my point as I'm a huge Sprint advocate. I just hope when the build out grows more, I'll have LTE coverage INSIDE places lol

I appreciate your response! thanks for the info. I guess I'm just concerned because its not like I was in a basement or elevator or something like that, I was right off the Hlwd blvd (a mile at most from the tower) in a small Walgreens. I've seen strong LTE signals from Verizon and ATT in the middle of Aventura mall.. But I dont wana seem like I'm bashing Sprint cuz that is not my point as I'm a huge Sprint advocate. I just hope when the build out grows more, I'll have LTE coverage INSIDE places lol

In most cases you will have coverage inside. It's just a matter of waiting at this point! In densely populated areas, each cell site can have a foot print as small as two blocks, so if you were nearly a mile from the site, it's very possible that you were at the very edge of the footprint for that site, and just adding the extra interference of one wall was enough to degrade the signal enough that it was unusable. Once other sites in the area are live, they should be able to provide the needed coverage.

Based on the maps so far of the sites in the area, range was set for approximately 1 mile. So if you are going into a building at one mile, near the maximum extent, you would probably lose a signal indoors.

No matter which LTE carrier you use (VZW, ATT or Sprint), when you go indoors you lose between 8-12dBm in normal building types. Some building construction can even be worse, losing 15-20dBm. So, if you are in the last 10dBm of usable LTE signal, you will lose LTE when you go indoors. Even if you are on Verizon. I spent several days testing VZW and Sprint LTE side by side in Waco, Texas a few months ago.

In looking at the site map around the Hollywood sites, most of the adjacent sites are between 3/4 to 1-1/2 miles away. So when they all go live, you will have quite dense and overlapping coverage in the area. You will likely get LTE inside that building when all the sites are live. Because if you were 1 mile away from the live site, you likely would have been 1/4 to 1/2 mile (possibly less) from another nearby site that hasn't gone live yet.

Robert

Based on the maps so far of the sites in the area, range was set for approximately 1 mile. So if you are going into a building at one mile, near the maximum extent, you would probably lose a signal indoors.

No matter which LTE carrier you use (VZW, ATT or Sprint), when you go indoors you lose between 8-12dBm in normal building types. Some building construction can even be worse, losing 15-20dBm. So, if you are in the last 10dBm of usable LTE signal, you will lose LTE when you go indoors. Even if you are on Verizon. I spent several days testing VZW and Sprint LTE side by side in Waco, Texas a few months ago.

In looking at the site map around the Hollywood sites, most of the adjacent sites are between 3/4 to 1-1/2 miles away. So when they all go live, you will have quite dense and overlapping coverage in the area. You will likely get LTE inside that building when all the sites are live. Because if you were 1 mile away from the live site, you likely would have been 1/4 to 1/2 mile (possibly less) from another nearby site that hasn't gone live yet.

Robert

thanks a lot! thats awesome to hear! so clearly, this isn't going to be wimax all over again for us sprint users. i'm just too impatient i guess :tu:

I think sprint fix there data problem that they where having this week mine has been working fine today thank u sprint

yes i can confirm as well. websites while on LTE were loading blazing fast after having issues all week. so hopefully the issue has been resolved!

I live in Davie, FL and LTE just went live a few hours ago. I see that some of you guys picked up LTE on the turnpike which I'm about an mile out from but it's the first time I have picked up the signal. I'm inside now and have great strength. Previously my 3G and 4G (Wimax) was so horrible inside my home I had to get an AiRave.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

The tower at US1 and SW 144th St that was accepted in the last update is not broadcasting LTE.

When I saw it accepted in Monday's update I got excited since it's really close to me (I live by US1 and SW 128th St) Sensorly doesn't have anything nearby this tower mapped whereas all the other towers show at least something.

I been meaning to go up to this tower all week but since I had an Analysis test today i couldn't since I was studying.

Today after the test I went to US1 and SW 144th St and after toggling airplane mode several times I never connected to LTE.

So i guess we have our first case of an accepted tower that has the signal blocked? I thought they stopped doing that.

The tower at US1 and SW 144th St that was accepted in the last update is not broadcasting LTE.

When I saw it accepted in Monday's update I got excited since it's really close to me (I live by US1 and SW 128th St) Sensorly doesn't have anything nearby this tower mapped whereas all the other towers show at least something.

I been meaning to go up to this tower all week but since I had an Analysis test today i couldn't since I was studying.

Today after the test I went to US1 and SW 144th St and after toggling airplane mode several times I never connected to LTE.

So i guess we have our first case of an accepted tower that has the signal blocked? I thought they stopped doing that.

It may or may not be blocked. It could be that it just simply isn't broadcasting yet. There have been several instances of towers not broadcasting LTE after being accepted by Sprint, even in active markets. Usually, things come online within several days, but there was a tower in Kansas that didn't broadcast LTE for several weeks after being accepted, so it's not unheard of. It could be there just isn't something connected yet, they could be waiting on something to actually turn on the LTE signal.

Not broadcasting is what I meant by blocked. What meaning do you attach to it?

When towers first started going up, we were able to tell they were broadcasting a signal, but it was configured in a way that would not allow you to connect to it. That is what I think of when you say blocked.

If it is not broadcasting any signal at all right now, it is simply off. Not blocked.