Sign in to follow this  
at1988

Global Roaming for Galaxy S3 Sprint Model

I have confirmed that my Sprint GS3 has roaming capabilities on the moon. In fact, I was able to get a 5G signal up there.

:wacko:

Sent from my GS3 on Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I have confirmed that my Sprint GS3 has roaming capabilities on the moon. In fact, I was able to get a 5G signal up there.

:wacko:

Sent from my GS3 on Tapatalk 2

Moon is 0.167G.

• Like 2

Moon is 0.167G.

Now this is funny!!!

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Now this is funny!!!

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

"The Unbearable Lightness of Lunar Being" is the title of my next book.

was it a conspiracy with Verizon with the Spectrum and Rezound? It was months after they came out that Verizon clarified that they had GSM roaming capabilities.

The Razr,Razr Maxx, Rezound, and Droid 4 were announced to receive software updates to add global capabilities this summer. I know the Razr and Razr Maxx have already received their ICS updates, which included the global update.

Not sure what the exact difference is radio-wise between those phones and the GS3. I've heard VZW's GS3 may receive the same update, but who knows, rumors are rumors.

So nobody really knows whether the Sprint Galaxy 3 would work outside the U.S.? lol

It won't, unless you are on 1.9Ghz CDMA and a roaming contract is in place with that carrier.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By Paynefanbro
      I recently went on an 8 day cruise from NYC to the Caribbean that stopped in Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. My first stop was Grand Turk and there I opted for the free roaming. My S9+ automatically connected to Flow's (Cable & Wireless) LTE network where I received speeds of around 120kbps on average with boosts of up to 150kbps. Something worth noting is that on speed tests, the server prefers to default to Sprint's Miami server as opposed to local servers. Speeds were more than adequate for any amount of web browsing and honestly felt much faster than in reality. It helps that using Chrome will save you data by not loading pictures on certain sites unless you click them.
      In Puerto Rico, I connected to Band 13 on the way into the port in San Juan but once I was in the city, my phone never left Band 41. While the phone was usable, speeds remained significantly lower than what I've come to expect from 3xCA in the mainland U.S. Data speeds peaked at around 25-30Mbos but on average were in the 5-10 Mbps range even on LTE+. Signal remained strong everywhere though. 
      Finally in the Dominican Republic, I entered in Amber Cover which is in Puerto Plata. My phone latched onto a weak Band 2 LTE signal in the port from Altice (called Orange Dominicana in SignalCheck). I had trouble loading pages though. Once off of the ship and out in the open, I had a much stronger signal which allowed me to browse the internet without a hitch. Because it was the last day of my trip, while at the beach I decided to purchase the 24 hour high speed pass for $5. My speeds went from 120kbps to 65Mbps in less than 5 seconds. In some areas speeds were slower, particularly at the port where it struggled to break 2Mbps. Now, back on the boat my phone is flipping between weak Band 4 LTE and overloaded Band 5 HSPA+ from Claro (called Verizon Dominicana in SignalCheck Pro). Here is the difference in speed from before and after purchasing the high speed pass. 
    • By danlodish345
      Hey guys i am curious....i switched to boost mobile and i was curious if there are any handsets that support carrier aggregation.
    • By Febby
      I notice a lot of post regarding the markets in IL,FL,TX,PA,NYC.... but how about about the Los Angeles market? I THINK it was samsung doing the set up for the L.A market? Not sure though.... I'm not a sponsor member of the site so I can't really check... if I had a job I'd most definitely donate!

Couple of months ago the local towers were all down and being upgraded to NV I assume since Larry from Howard forums said there was NV work being done my zip code. The speeds were better for a bit but now they are awful again.

Can anyone (most preferred Robert) make a comment on if there is any LTE activity near 90255 area code?

Thanks, great site by the way... I'm a Lurker.
    • By jakeuten
      Just a bit of insight. I live near UMD in Duluth, MN. Sprint's signal is clearly much 'dirtier' with a 1.0 SNR compared to T-Mobile's 20.4 SNR. I don't have a screenshot from the same time, but I get about a 22 to 29 SNR with T. I know that AT&T uses RRU's but I'm not too sure about Sprint or T-Mobile. Also, I didn't even know they had L2500 where I live, but I force checked it on my Samsung S7 (AT&T). 

• By S4GRU
      Did you know that with many Sprint (Uniband) LTE Android devices, the signal strength indicator at the top does not show your LTE signal strength? Even if 4G or LTE is displayed next to it?

That's right!  This signal displayed here is your 1x (voice signal), and it is not your 3G EVDO signal strength, nor your LTE signal strength.  Regardless of whether it says 3G or 4G next to it. This is the cause of a lot of confusion.  Also, third party apps like NetMonitor do not show accurate LTE signal strengths. They also only show the 1x signal strength, even though they may reference being connected to LTE.
      The purpose of this thread is to help educate the masses, because many people think they have a strong LTE signal, when in fact they do not. And then they are unhappy, thinking that Sprint LTE is really slow, even with a strong signal. LTE performance is very signal strength dependent. So, when you have a weak signal, you can expect much slower than peak results.

There is only one accurate way to get your LTE signal strength, and that is from your LTE Engineering screen in your Debug menu. And we will discuss the different ways to get that below.

...In HTC, Motorola & LG Sprint LTE devices:
      Go in to your phone app, and dial ##DEBUG# Select LTE Engineering Go down to RSRP. The number under RSRP shown in dBm is your LTE signal strength. ...In Samsung Sprint LTE devices:
      Go in to your phone app, and dial ##DEBUG# Enter 777468 for your lock code Select LTE Engineering Go down to RSRP. The number next to RSRP shown in dBm is your LTE signal strength. ...In the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5:
      Go in to your phone app, and dial *#*#DEBUG#*#* Enter 777468 for your lock code Select LTE Engineering Go down to RSRP. The number next to RSRP shown in dBm is your LTE signal strength. The LTE Signal Strength Scale:

Now you have determined your actual LTE signal strength in dBms your device is receiving, you can use the following scale below to determine its strength:
      Better than -88dBm RSRP is a strong signal Between -89dBm and -96dBm is a very good signal Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good Between -106dBm and -112dBm is fair Worse than -113dBm RSRP is poor Feel free to link people to this thread for explanation. Hopefully, this will clear up some confusion out there!

• what sort of speeds (actual numbers) are we talking here?
    • Long time lurker here, long time SCP user.  FYI...  I'm the guy in the bar that had SC on his phone!  LOL First, I just wanted to thank you for this awesome tool.   Second, I do have an occasional freezing of the app on my Galaxy S20 Ultra.  It's usually when switching back and forth between the engineering screen to check CA, SCP, and the Speedtest app, to make sure it's still running.  I have to go in and force close it to get it to run again. Now for a question: how accurate is the distance from the tower in SCP?  I've had a few times that I can't figure out where it's picking up a tower, and now that I think about it, it could be a SC.  Since the S20 U is now on T-Mobile, there are no site notes for the towers, and I'm trying to figure out where they are!
    • So, I'm late to the party here.  Columbus, Ohio market.  I've had my S20 Ultra since a few days after launch (late pre-order) so I've been through the stuff mentioned through this thread.  My issue is 5G.  Before 5G was turned on, my speeds on T-Mobile were great!  Maybe a bit slower than Sprint in a speedtest, but latency was better, and it "felt" faster.  Then 5G was turned on, and I found out to check in the *#0011# service mode screen to see if n71 was working.  It was, I was happy.  Within a couple days, that totally changed.  It seemed that I rarely got n71, and data was SLOW, maybe 1/3 of the speed as before 5G was turned on.  When I do see n71, speeds are really good. For instance, 2 days ago, it was hitting n71 without active data transferring.  Then yesterday and today, not even a blip of n71 when actively transferring.  I found that switching the network mode to LTE/CDMA got my speeds back to good.  It seems that I must get a profile update push when not looking and it turns 5G back on, or if I have to restart and forget to reset it.   Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  
    • Just got off the phone with a Sprint Business rep. According to him the cell site nearest me is now running n41. Which explains why my LTE-41 speeds are a fraction of what they were a few months back. He mentioned a pretty awesome deal on an S20 if I sign a contract, with a $10 price increase per month in exchange for going from 3 GB of hotspot to 50 GB (which I've wanted anyway), so chances are good I'll bump up to the S20. Apparently it's still a Business Fusion plan so I don't have to pay $$$ extra per month for the phone either. Anyone heard of a $55/mo (or $75/mo) Business Fusion plan with 50GB of hotspot? Any video/VPN throttling to speak of there?