The end of removable batteries?

legion125

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 2 February 2012

Here's an analysis of the trend to have embedded batteries in phones. I like the positives of a cleaner & thinner design it entails, but there is a disadvantage of repairs and replacement of bad batteries that isn't fully supported by the OEM's or carriers. The article is a good read and a tad long. Go through it and share what you think.

I don't want to give up my battery access. The OEM that can design larger and better batteries and give me access will win my business. But all things considered, this isn't a big deal for me.

The issue that needs to be addressed for me is what to do when your Android phone needs a soft reset when it starts acting stupid or locks up. From some comments I've read, the only choice for embedded batteries is a factory reset which at times is just inconvenient and is unacceptable to me at this point. Google, the OEM's and carriers (which is where everyone will be going to for support) will need to find a workaround for this for me to be comfortable.

I'm ton on this, because I want higher capacity batteries, but I really like the ability to have 2 or 3 cheap spare batteries and be able to go anywhere and not worry about finding a power source at some point. Things like music festivals, pub crawls etc. I was at a pub crawl and "somehow" had trouble finding my hotel. My battery died as I was trying to call friends to get directions. Spare battery to the rescue. there are things made to allow portable charging, but it is just more convenient to pop in another battery. Plus the hard reset thing...I know the manufacturer claims that there is a hard reset by holding the power button or power+volume, but it worries me that it would be a lot easier to permabrick my phone, and have to bring it to a service center if I can't remove the battery and restart into bootloader.

Scott...I can see your next S4GRU Contribution article title...

"Unremovable batteries and the iPhone are the bain to Pubcrawlers the world over"

:D

Sent from Tapatalk App

I was just typing that article, but I prefer that title. My original one was "drunken Android using zombie saved by backup battery, iPhone using zombie sleeps on park bench"

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I was just typing that article, but I prefer that title. My original one was "drunken Android using zombie saved by backup battery, iPhone using zombie sleeps on park bench"

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Wordy...but it has a good sound to it! :lol:

Sent from Tapatalk App