Houston, TX 4G Lte Live

I was coming in last night in bad weather after getting my Tri-Band Hotspot up and working when I heard it change modes in a Wimax area. Praise the Lord!!! 4G LTE is on!!!

I ran some quick speed test that I thought would be interesting to the Forum members. 100% Signal - 35.8M down and 15.6 up. 60% signal - 18.5M down and 11.2M up. 10% signal 8.52M down and 2.53M up. 0% signal - 5.35M down and 1.32M up. Pretty amazing!!

Im Still trying to figure out the new Hotspot so if anyone can tell me how to figure out which tower I'm on I would appreciate it. The area that is on right now is in The Woodlands, TX (77380) between South Panther Creek and Sawdust Rd. I'll try and drive more area today to see what else is on. I beleive this is coming out of the Sawdust Rd. tower on the edge of the Golf cousre but am not sure.

I want to try and figue it out because whoever set the downtilt on the panel screwed up. The signal on my street drops from 100% to 10% in 5 houses. If it is the Sawdust antenna (approx 2 miles from my house as the crow flies) raising the panel an sixteenth of a degree would give me 80% or better without hurting anyone elses service.

It is missing about 100 homes to the west of the tower as close as I can figure due to the fact that the top of the 100% signal is htting about 10 feet below the top of a ridge that runs through the subdivision.The slight shift would allow every one on the other side of the ridge to have decent signal. Any ideas how to figure out which tower it is?

Those upload speeds are great. Those TriBand MiFis must have increased transmit power over smartphones. I don't know how to tell which LTE site you are connected to, as I have never had the luxury yet. I would imagine the CDMA apps we use will not tell you anything about LTE sites.

If you get an opportunity to take some pictures and post them, that would be awesome. Thanks for the post.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Wimax is typically about 2.5 down and 1.2 up. A good day Wimax might get 6 down and 2.3 up. I would love to post pictures but 10 minutes after I reported this they took the area down plus left us with no Wimax either. I wish I had done it last night but in a rental van in bad weather...too dangerous.

They must be doing something in Houston right now as I can't even get a 3G signal where I am in Humble!

Wow, that must be a humbling experience.

AJ

I tried netmonitor on my EVO and it won't show the tower locations. Just says no info below them. CDMA field test shows the lat and long and so does the debug screen. Guess the netmonitor can't read it for some reason.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I tried netmonitor on my EVO and it won't show the tower locations. Just says no info below them. CDMA field test shows the lat and long and so does the debug screen. Guess the netmonitor can't read it for some reason.

My EVO LTE shows site locations on NetMonitor here in New Mexico.

gallery_1_1_21430.jpg

gallery_1_1_22193.jpg

I wonder if netmonitor has a PC app? The 4G LTE just came back up so I"m sticking the hotspot in my pocket to check signals while I go to lunch with the family.

I'll keep you posted!!

Oh...I see. Mine looks the same on the tower screen. But the map shows the tower in the wrong place everything...way off.

I can confirm this site location. I live next door to it. :)

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Back from lunch and I found three towers currently up in the Spring/Woodlands area. As close as I can figure from the coverage i found the towers are H023XC275, H033XC479 and H003XC425.

I can confirm that LTE is active in the Woodlands area as of today. Also the area around Baybrook mall on the southside. I connected a HTC EVO and a LG Viper. Very impressive DL and UP speeds.

Screenshot please....?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Screenshot please....?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

post-2176-0-75653700-1339985935_thumb.jpg

Ran several Speedtest.net speedtest through out the day. All remained fairly consistent. The Viper did just as well, not as much fun to mess with though. Also ran a few Youtube videos, they loaded up in HD automatically and played without a problem. Made sure to use the EVO to make a couple calls (don't know if that even matters), and no matter what "4G" remained steady all day.

• Like 1

post-2176-0-75653700-1339985935_thumb.jpg

Ran several Speedtest.net speedtest through out the day. All remained fairly consistent. The Viper did just as well, not as much fun to mess with though. Also ran a few Youtube videos, they loaded up in HD automatically and played without a problem. Made sure to use the EVO to make a couple calls (don't know if that even matters), and no matter what "4G" remained steady all day.

How was your battery? Did you notice less battery from a 3G normal day? I'm curious as I usually get two plus days of battery from my EVO LTE with mild use and a day and a half with moderate use! I'm actually thrilled about battery on my EVO LTE! I'm still pissed that HTC forced me into a non-removable battery, as batteries today seem to make it only about a year before they start showing serious loss of performance. HTC needs to pull the stick out of their butt as Samsung was able to make a device that is even thinner and larger then the EVO LTE and it has a LARGER REMOVABLE BATTERY! WTF?!

5TH :(

HTC needs to pull the stick out of their butt as Samsung was able to make a device that is even thinner and larger then the EVO LTE and it has a LARGER REMOVABLE BATTERY! WTF?!

HTC has made a thin yet solid, well built device. If the Galaxy S3 follows in the footsteps of previous Samsung smartphones -- my apologies, Samsung owners -- it will feel like a cheap, plastic dummy phone.

If a non removable battery is the price that we have to pay to get HTC build quality in a slim device, then so be it.

AJ

• Like 3

How was your battery? Did you notice less battery from a 3G normal day? I'm curious as I usually get two plus days of battery from my EVO LTE with mild use and a day and a half with moderate use! I'm actually thrilled about battery on my EVO LTE! I'm still pissed that HTC forced me into a non-removable battery, as batteries today seem to make it only about a year before they start showing serious loss of performance. HTC needs to pull the stick out of their butt as Samsung was able to make a device that is even thinner and larger then the EVO LTE and it has a LARGER REMOVABLE BATTERY! WTF?!

5TH :(

Fifth- The battery did not seem to be greatly impacted by the use of LTE. It only occured to me once througout the day to look at the battery, with LTE use impacting it in mind. It did not dramatically drain the battery in the time I had it connected. The non-removable battery was definetly a con for me before actually using the phone. I am sure at some point I will have to root this phone and we will see if it proves to be an issue then. Overall very impressed with the build quality.

HTC has made a thin yet solid, well built device. If the Galaxy S3 follows in the footsteps of previous Samsung smartphones -- my apologies, Samsung owners -- it will feel like a cheap, plastic dummy phone.

If a non removable battery is the price that we have to pay to get HTC build quality in a slim device, then so be it.

AJ

Wavelength- I agree 100%. I have a bad feeling that the S3 is going to be that cheap feeling device. I'am currently using the S2, but doubt that the S3 will be my next phone. I may be semi-biased though, my first Sprint phone was the original EVO. I loved everything about that device for a while. So it only seems right I give the new member of the EVO family a try....

Fifth- The battery did not seem to be greatly impacted by the use of LTE. It only occured to me once througout the day to look at the battery, with LTE use impacting it in mind. It did not dramatically drain the battery in the time I had it connected.

About a week ago, I did some LTE testing in KC. The EVO LTE had been running on battery for 11 hours and used for occasional web browsing, a few SMS, and a 15 minute phone call. Even following 400 MB of LTE data transfer tests, the EVO LTE battery was still at 70 percent.

The Qualcomm S4 28 nm single chipset design certainly seems to improve power management significantly.

AJ

• Like 2

HTC has made a thin yet solid' date=' well built device. If the Galaxy S3 follows in the footsteps of previous Samsung smartphones -- my apologies, Samsung owners -- it will feel like a cheap, plastic dummy phone.

AJ[/quote']

I think it's funny how apple has taken samsung to court for "copying their design" when HTC is the android manufacturer who produces the phone most similar to the iPhone. You can say build quality, I say needlessly heavy.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

My Galaxy Nexus is more solid feeling and heavy than my EVO LTE. The EVO LTE is a feather, in a good way. But the case on the GNex is top quality. Not cheap feeling at all.

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Those 28nm process chips are pretty much essential for me to consider buying an LTE device at this point. From the testing I've seen done on Anandtech, it's either those chips, or a big honker of a battery like in the RAZR MAXX, to achieve good battery life on LTE. The new iPad, like the MAXX, also went with a much larger battery to nullify the impact of the MDM9600 which uses the older and less efficient 45nm process. I don't know what nm process the Wrigley used but I presume it was a similar size to the first generation Qualcomm chipset.

AJ

this is key.

I've broken many an HTC and only one samsung. The galaxy S series may look and feel cheap but they're tough as nails.

• Like 1