Looks like next iPhone will support 800mhz SMR LTE

Since this comes up on a google search, I wanted to clarify that my post was incorrect - this isn't proof of anything!

old, incorrect post:

===============

If this link is to believed http://www.appleinsi...ilter_tech.html

That sure looks like band class 5 which, unless I am mistaken, is the SMR band Sprint owns. Band 2 is 1900mhz, 13/17 is the 700mhz, 4 is AWS, and 8 is the traditional upper 800 cellular A/B.

It would appear Apple has found a way to cram all that support into a single device. Apparently the newer FBAR filters are good enough to allow it

Edit: I suspect this was part of the deal Sprint signed with Apple to make it worth supporting that band. Without a firm commit to sell a lot of iPhones, it wouldn't be worth it.

If this link is to believed http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/31/apple_has_locked_down_rf_suppliers_for_next_iphone_may_move_to_advanced_filter_tech.html

That sure looks like band class 5 which' date=' unless I am mistaken, is the SMR band Sprint owns. Band 2 is 1900mhz, 13/17 is the 700mhz, 4 is AWS, and 8 is the traditional upper 800 cellular A/B.

It would appear Apple has found a way to cram all that support into a single device. Apparently the newer FBAR filters are good enough to allow it

Edit: I suspect this was part of the deal Sprint signed with Apple to make it worth supporting that band. Without a firm commit to sell a lot of iPhones, it wouldn't be worth it.[/quote']

Au contrare! This is bad news, if anything. Hopefully the graphic shown in your referenced article is not set in stone, or has inaccuracies. Otherwise this is bad news.

If the LTE Band Classes that were shown in this article was all there would be supported in a new LTE iPhone, then there would be no support for any Sprint LTE, current or future band classes.

Band Class 5 is not SMR. It is Cellular 850. Sprint's SMR is LTE Band Class 26. Which is not supported in the matrix shown in the article.

Even more troubling than that, Sprint's PCS G Block (where they are deploying LTE) is not a part of Band 2. It is in LTE Band Class 25. So, as is, this iPhone as described in the article would not support Sprint LTE at all. Also, Clearwire's TD-LTE network is Band Class 41, which also is not shown supported.

However, before going into panic mode, conventional wisdom is on there being several LTE iPhones, because it gets to be too difficult to cram all LTE bands into one device. Most likely the device described in the article is only for one LTE iPhone variant. A Sprint LTE iPhone would look quite different. Heck, Apple didn't even create a single LTE iPad, even though it had the space inside the device to pull that off.

I will say this though, if they switched from LTE Band 2 to Band 25, they would have support for Sprint LTE 1900. And that wouldn't be a difficult move for them. Band 25 includes all of PCS. Whereas Band 2 is all of PCS, except G Block. This seems like an easy adjustment. Then the new iPhone would at least support LTE 1900 for Sprint. I didn't expect it to include 800 LTE support anyway.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Here is the Link of the band classes that I found

http://niviuk.free.fr/lte_band.php

Band 5 is regular 850, and 8 is 900Mhz.

For it to support Sprint's 800, it would need to be band class 26.

Also Band Class 2 is traditional 1900mhz, not included the G block, which is what Sprint will be using for LTE. It would need to support Band Class 25.

Edit: One extra thing I will add is that the picture is from Barclays Research, not the manufactures or apple, plus it is only an estimate.

• Like 1

I thought I had seen this graphic before. S4GRU writer Scott Johnson (Pyroscott) included this same graphic in an article he wrote for us last March on a single LTE iPhone.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-149-could-there-be-one-iphone-to-rule-the-world%e2%80%99s-lte-networks/

In the comments section of our article, AJ makes the point that this graphic is created by an analyst and cautioned that we should not read too much into this.

Its quite possible the person who created the graphic took frequency sets and looked up band classes to post for the graphic. It would be really easy to select Band Class 2 for Band Class 25 if selecting from a list and not knowing much about band classes. Also, BC 25 is a newer class. If the graphic designer was working off an older list, he may not even known there was a BC25.

All of this is pretty speculative at this point. But Apple wouldn't have to do much to get Sprint LTE support into this device as its currently configured. And given the source of the graphic, we cannot put too much credence in it at any rate.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Sorry, not a hardcore techie here. What bands in the diagram have to be replace to make the iPhone LTE work on Sprint LTE FD network & Clearwire LTE TD network. ( PCS G Block, SMR 800, & Clearwire 2500 LTE TD. What are the chances the Sprint iPhone LTE will support all Sprint & Clearwire bands? thx

Edited by alphnasx

Sorry' date=' not a hardcore techie here. What bands in the diagram have to be replace to make the iPhone LTE work on Sprint LTE FD network & Clearwire LTE TD network. ( PCS G Block, SMR 800, & Clearwire 2500 LTE TD. What are the chances the Sprint iPhone LTE will support all Sprint & Clearwire bands? thx[/quote']

It was stated in another thread that Sprint and Clearwire won't be releasing 2500 LTE compatible devices until 2nd quarter next year, and Sprint stated 800 LTE devices won't come until next year, so this years iPhone will only be LTE 1900, and hopefully 800 1x for better voice coverage.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Ah' date=' my mistake! Looks like we'll just have to wait and see :)[/quote']

Speculation from other sites can get ugly and even downright 'out of this world' dumb, and there might be truth to it because the iPad was split with 2 different LTE versions, and those band classes could be for either the AT&T or the Verizon versions. It will be interesting to see what Apple does this fall.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

PS: Don't mow a lawn in 50% + humidity and 75 degree weather. It takes 3 times longer. :(