Have you seen a network vision cell site?

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 4 January 2012

I have had terrible 3G service from Sprint since last year however some areas in my city, Tulsa, have drastically increased in speed and signal strength. In these areas I get at least 1000 kbps CDMA speeds.

I have noticed that the cell sites in these areas have one thing in common, they all have what appear to be small radio boxes next to their clean new antennae (as Sprint said they would). That being said they could be another carrier's cell site but I always have full signal bars near them with absurd (by sprint standards) 3G speeds.

I will take some pics, run some tests and do a little online research to confirm but I believe these to be live network vision sites.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 5 January 2012

I would love to see them. Post when you get a chance! I do believe that AT&T is also starting to move their radios behind their antenna at their new HSPA+ and LTE sites.

Guest LineNoise

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 5 January 2012

SFQkz.jpg

I found 1 today outside Chicago along I55. The torn sheet of paper had the contractor's name on it which escapes me at the moment as it's not one I was familiar with. One label had the site ID and the other said "MMBS PRIMARY". I did not sneak around back to see if there was coax going to it, but there have been no antenna changes at the site from what I could tell.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 6 January 2012

I have a friend who has a family member that owns the land a cell tower cluster is on locally and said that all 3 of the big names will be spending lots of time there in the next couple of weeks. If Sprint brings NV to it I'll grab the fence key and get some pictures

I'll try to get the post-work VZ and AT&T setups as well

I'm in Oklahoma City and have noticed that 3G data speeds are overall much better than they were even as recently as early December, even during peak times (i.e. late afternoon through mid evening). I would often be stuck in the 300-400 kbp/s range (sometimes less) before, but now I will almost always hit between 700-just under 1000, and have occasionally gotten as high as 1.2mbp/s, though not often.

However, there are still times when I'll get slow data speeds, and when I run a speed test I will once again see download speeds slower than upload speeds (something that happened a great deal last year from about late summer through early December). Overall, though, this issue is far less common than before, though I'm not convinced it's due to Network Vision (Sprint's Network Vision site does claim that the 3 towers closest to me have all had voice/data/data capacity upgrades in the past few months, though).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Oklahoma City and have noticed that 3G data speeds are overall much better than they were even as recently as early December, even during peak times (i.e. late afternoon through mid evening). I would often be stuck in the 300-400 kbp/s range (sometimes less) before, but now I will almost always hit between 700-just under 1000, and have occasionally gotten as high as 1.2mbp/s, though not often.

However, there are still times when I'll get slow data speeds, and when I run a speed test I will once again see download speeds slower than upload speeds (something that happened a great deal last year from about late summer through early December). Overall, though, this issue is far less common than before, though I'm not convinced it's due to Network Vision (Sprint's Network Vision site does claim that the 3 towers closest to me have all had voice/data/data capacity upgrades in the past few months, though).

From what I understand, on their website, a Data Speed upgrade is the addition of a T1 line and a Data Capacity upgrade is the addition of another EVDO carrier so the network isn't starved for spectrum. I don't think any of it is network vision related unless you see 1500kbps+ all the time in a high traffic area (like the Jenks tower I was talking about in the OP).

I definitely have noticed that these upgrades have helped. My phone rarely skips on Pandora anymore. LTE and network vision will be really nice when they arrive though.

Edited by lynyrd65
  • Like 1

A new cell tower just eent up by my house. But the tower itself just got completed. So no radios or anything yet. When it gets finished i'll try to get some pics and find what carrier its for.

Lord knows everyday I come so close to porting when I try to use my phone. But my area is showing 13 data capacity upgrades coming. So I keep talking myself into waiting and hoping things will get better until NV gets here.

• Like 1

A new cell tower just eent up by my house. But the tower itself just got completed. So no radios or anything yet. When it gets finished i'll try to get some pics and find what carrier its for.

Lord knows everyday I come so close to porting when I try to use my phone. But my area is showing 13 data capacity upgrades coming. So I keep talking myself into waiting and hoping things will get better until NV gets here.

If something is pic worthy, definitely post it for us!

Yep. Its a very tall tower. If its the same as any I wont bother. But as its brand new, it will be interesting to see if it has the small cabinet footprint reguardless of carrier. Since att is moving radios up thier towers as well.

And while I am doubtfull. I secretly pray its sprint. LoL

• Like 1