How many antennas Per tower for?

I've always wondered, what has more antennas for the small markets vs a huge big ass markets. 4

4 Antennas for a small? or do all the towers get 4 antennas?

I'll assume antennas = a network vision panel which contains the antennas. The majority of cell sites have 3 sectors with one new network vision panel per sector. In very high capacity cell sites or sectors, the Sprint may choose to utilize a second network vision panel in order to utilize more carriers. I know for a fact that Samsung will use two panels for a high capacity sector and the other vendors likely does the same. 

So the answer is multiple antennas per sector usually indicates a high capacity sector which requires additional carriers. 

Your question is confusing and the grammar is horrendous but I'll try to answer.

I'll assume antennas = a network vision panel which contains the antennas. First and foremost, the majority of cell sites have 3 sectors with one new network vision panel per sector. In very high capacity cell sites or sectors, the Sprint may choose to utilize a second network vision panel in order to utilize more carriers. I know for a fact that Samsung will use two panels for a high capacity sector and the other vendors likely does the same. 

So the answer is multiple antennas per sector usually indicates a high capacity sector which requires additional carriers. 

Like The panels at the top of the tower(Which i thought were antennas) the tower behind my house. Had Nextel and there was like 10 or 8 panels at the top of the tower. But it got removed last summer.

Btw sorry for the horrible grammar, I just did my Medicinal smoke.

• Like 1

Like The panels at the top of the tower(Which i thought were antennas) the tower behind my house. Had Nextel and there was like 10 or 8 panels at the top of the tower. But it got removed last summer.

The panels house the antennas. There are multiple antennas housed within the new Network Vision panels. Increase in efficiency and advancements in design allows for multiple antennas to be configured via a RRU and remotely adjusted. No longer do they need multiple panels / antennas on a rack to be pointed in a certain way to get specific coverage or alleviating load. Everything can be configured in one panel which saves money from tower leases and assorted other misc costs. 

• Like 1

The panels house the antennas. There are multiple antennas housed within the new Network Vision panels. Increase in efficiency and advancements in design allows for multiple antennas to be configured via a RRU and remotely adjusted. No longer do they need multiple panels / antennas on a rack to be pointed in a certain way to get specific coverage or alleviating load. Everything can be configured in one panel which saves money from tower leases and assorted other misc costs. 

Aha, This isn't in the forum anywhere is it? If so, Point me there lol :D. Glad I learned something new! Thanks!

I'll assume antennas = a network vision panel which contains the antennas. The majority of cell sites have 3 sectors with one new network vision panel per sector. In very high capacity cell sites or sectors, the Sprint may choose to utilize a second network vision panel in order to utilize more carriers. I know for a fact that Samsung will use two panels for a high capacity sector and the other vendors likely does the same. 

Any idea if they were smart enough to deploy 2 panels/sector in spectrum constrained, but high capacity needed areas like the northside of Chicago near the lake (aka loop to Lakeview/Wrigley) figuring they would hopefully get the spectrum ie US cellular etc or will they likely have to revisit each tower and add panels here?

Any idea if they were smart enough to deploy 2 panels/sector in spectrum constrained, but high capacity needed areas like the northside of Chicago near the lake (aka loop to Lakeview/Wrigley) figuring they would hopefully get the spectrum ie US cellular etc or will they likely have to revisit each tower and add panels here?

I'd say no. They don't have enough spectrum originally to even reach the capacity of the single PCS 1900 RRU (65 mhz - 4 LTE carriers or 8 CDMA carriers) that Samsung uses and they won't add another antenna (more costs) just to sit there and be pretty. Samsung tends to put another PCS RRU & antenna only when they have enough PCS spectrum to deploy multiple carriers. In high capacity areas like northside of Chicago, TDD-LTE 2500 will be utilized in addition to SMR 800 for capacity. 

• Like 1

I'd say no. They don't have enough spectrum originally to even reach the capacity of the single PCS 1900 RRU (65 mhz - 4 LTE carriers or 8 CDMA carriers) that Samsung uses and they won't add another antenna (more costs) just to sit there and be pretty. Samsung tends to put another PCS RRU & antenna only when they have enough PCS spectrum to deploy multiple carriers. In high capacity areas like northside of Chicago, TDD-LTE 2500 will be utilized in addition to SMR 800 for capacity. 

Hmm, thanks. Stupid on spectrum here but you mention 65mhz=4 LTE carriers, a few questions:

Sprint only had 20mhz here going to hopefully 40 of PCS A-G. Do they have 65mhhz anywhere that high capacity is needed? Wouldn't 4 LTE be 40mhz + a couple for guard bands, would seen to be 5 or even 6 LTE if the spectrum was continuous?

When they add TDD-LTE 2500 which I guess is likely at 1st on existing leased towers that will need a new panel that could support more capacity for older spectrum frequencies as well?

One more stupid question, the extra 20mhz Sprint is getting from US cellular would allow them an extra 2 5x5 LTE carriers here (ie 5x5=10*2=20) if they use it for LTE expansion only?

Hmm, thanks. Stupid on spectrum here but you mention 65mhz=4 LTE carriers, a few questions:

Sprint only had 20mhz here going to hopefully 40 of PCS A-G. Do they have 65mhhz anywhere that high capacity is needed? Wouldn't 4 LTE be 40mhz + a couple for guard bands, would seen to be 5 or even 6 LTE if the spectrum was continuous?

When they add TDD-LTE 2500 which I guess is likely at 1st on existing leased towers that will need a new panel that could support more capacity for older spectrum frequencies as well?

One more stupid question, the extra 20mhz Sprint is getting from US cellular would allow them an extra 2 5x5 LTE carriers here (ie 5x5=10*2=20) if they use it for LTE expansion only?

-- I don't believe that they have 65mhz of PCS spectrum in any market. Most have 30-40mhz iirc, some a bit more, and some a bit less. Samsung typically does not max out their RRU capacity before adding a second RRU & antenna. I believe that high capacity sites have 65 degree antennas (or 45 degree narrow beams) set up in such a way that they cover around 120-130 degrees (or one sector) to alleviate load. They can then utilize the same carriers via the two independent PCS RRUs & antennas for the same sectors and thus alleviate the load by splitting one sector between two antennas & 2 rrus. 

-- TDD-LTE 2500 antennas are made by Samsung, Alcatel-Lucent, and Ericsson with each market getting the TDD-LTE equipment by who is deploying Sprints NV in that market. Most of clearwires existing upgrades apparently are in Samsung markets as sammy already have a dual mode tdd-lte - wimax in existence and ready to go since yesterday. The TDD-LTE RRU's that samsung has can support 80 mhz or a setup of 40+40 or 4x 20mhz carriers. That setup can get approximately ~100 mbps DL / ~20 mbps UL on a 10:1 TDD setup that clearwire loves using.

-- The 20mhz from USCC is currently being leased back to USCC. What i personally think Sprint will be doing is shutting down one 5x5 carrier and use that spectrum to add carriers to beef up Sprints 3G network in the region. By late summer, I envision they'll probably leave 1 EVDO carriers and 1 voice carrier up for USCC sites and utilize the rest for whatever Sprint deems fit. 

*edit* But I'm not sure and AJ or someone else might be able to explain it properly...

FcuX3PV.png

-- TDD-LTE 2500 antennas are made by Samsung, Alcatel-Lucent, and Ericsson with each market getting the TDD-LTE equipment by who is deploying Sprints NV in that market. Most of clearwires existing upgrades apparently are in Samsung markets as sammy already have a dual mode tdd-lte - wimax in existence and ready to go since yesterday. The TDD-LTE RRU's that samsung has can support 80 mhz or a setup of 40+40 or 4x 20mhz carriers. That setup can get approximately ~100 mbps DL / ~20 mbps UL on a 10:1 TDD setup that clearwire loves using.

Actually, Alcatel Lucent has not manufactured an RRU for TDD-LTE on 2500 yet. I'm hoping soon they will, but I have been watching and haven't seen it yet. I'm keeping a lookout for it though!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2