So, who has what spectrum in LTE?

AT&T also uses B4 for capacity. In my area, AT&T uses B17, B4 & B5. And will likely add B2 and B29 as needed too.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Essentially B17 everywhere they can as primary, B29 wherever they don't hold B17, and everything else for capacity. Management of spectrum at AT&T is really stellar ????

Essentially B17 everywhere they can as primary, B29 wherever they don't hold B17, and everything else for capacity. Management of spectrum at AT&T is really stellar

Band 29 is for supplemental downlink CA only.  It cannot be used alone.  A few AT&T handsets support band 29 CA, but I have not heard reports of its deployment yet.

In markets where AT&T does not hold any band 17 spectrum, it relies upon a hodgepodge of band 2, band 4, or band 5.  Or AT&T runs GSM/W-CDMA only.  Or AT&T just has no native footprint in those areas, as AT&T does not cover all of the US.

Next up on the AT&T horizon, band 30...

AJ

• Like 1

Band 29 is for supplemental downlink CA only. It cannot be used alone. A few AT&T handsets support band 29 CA, but I have not heard reports of its deployment yet.

In markets where AT&T does not hold any band 17 spectrum, it relies upon a hodgepodge of band 2, band 4, or band 5. Or AT&T runs GSM/W-CDMA only. Or AT&T just has no native footprint in those areas, as AT&T does not cover all of the US.

AJ

Someone on Wikipedia lied.. ????

However I did know it wasn't in deployment yet.

Coming up next, WCS: does it go through a paper bag? Kappa

• Like 1

Band 29 is for supplemental downlink CA only. It cannot be used alone. A few AT&T handsets support band 29 CA, but I have not heard reports of its deployment yet.

In markets where AT&T does not hold any band 17 spectrum, it relies upon a hodgepodge of band 2, band 4, or band 5. Or AT&T runs GSM/W-CDMA only. Or AT&T just has no native footprint in those areas, as AT&T does not cover all of the US.

AJ

When I was road tripping from Colorado down through Texas and back up to Chicago it was amazing watching the bands change from county to county. Some places had B4 and B2 only, some were B5 and B4, B2 and so on and so forth. They really did cobble a bunch of spectrum bits together for their network. Sure makes it hard to keep track of what they use where since it varies so wildly.

• 1 year later...

Sprint,

1900 PCS G Block?

800 MHz SMR?

2500/2600 BRS/EBS Clear wire?

Verizon,

700 MHz

2100/1700 MHz AWS4

AT&T,

700 MHz

T-Mobile,

2100/1700 MHz AWS4

1900 MHz PCS

Sounds like there's too much aws. Kind of confused on who owns what. Can anyone correct me or enlighten me?

Well your right about every one but AT&T

AT&T,

700 MHz

1900 MHz PCS

and Band 29 (DL ONLY)

and Band 30

When I was road tripping from Colorado down through Texas and back up to Chicago it was amazing watching the bands change from county to county. Some places had B4 and B2 only, some were B5 and B4, B2 and so on and so forth. They really did cobble a bunch of spectrum bits together for their network. Sure makes it hard to keep track of what they use where since it varies so wildly.

You can use an app for Android called Cell Mapper (also a website).

AJ

Band 30 is live in quite a few markets. My home site has it although it doesn't reach my house (I get -114 to -118 B17 on AT&T at home). In my observations around the city, B30 seems to die just before B41 when they are coming from the same site with the same sector alignment, even when B30 panels are mounted above B41 panels. I believe AT&T has deployed B30 as a single 10x10 carrier although I don't trust my iPhone's field test enough to say that with certainty.

Band 30 is live in quite a few markets.

Check the date on my post that you quoted.  Somebody felt the need to resuscitate a little used, long dead thread.

AJ

Band 30 is live in quite a few markets. My home site has it although it doesn't reach my house (I get -114 to -118 B17 on AT&T at home). In my observations around the city, B30 seems to die just before B41 when they are coming from the same site with the same sector alignment, even when B30 panels are mounted above B41 panels. I believe AT&T has deployed B30 as a single 10x10 carrier although I don't trust my iPhone's field test enough to say that with certainty.

B30 is live on many sites across the country and currently seems to be their main initiative. I see it all over where I live and even in rural areas. It is their only "greenfield" spectrum for LTE deployment besides 29 that is nationwide.

It is only 10x10 MHz, because of issues with Sirius XM Terrestrial filtering and licensing. All deployments I have seen seem to be 4x2 MIMO. 15x15 MHz is possible with their spectrum once they get something figured out with Sirius. Something interesting to note is that they start at a lower power level and increase it as they can without interfering with Sirius. If you see a new B30 deployment, it will start at a really low, almost unusable power level unless you're in an urban environment. 

Check the date on my post that you quoted.  Somebody felt the need to resuscitate a little used, long dead thread.

AJ

Yep.

Something interesting to note is that they start at a lower power level and increase it as they can without interfering with Sirius. If you see a new B30 deployment, it will start at a really low, almost unusable power level unless you're in an urban environment.

I didn't know that - pretty cool.

B30...

It is only 10x10 MHz, because of issues with Sirius XM Terrestrial filtering and licensing. All deployments I have seen seem to be 4x2 MIMO. 15x15 MHz is possible with their spectrum once they get something figured out with Sirius.

No, it is not -- 15 MHz FDD is not possible.  Are you operating on just your own assumptions here?

Band 30 is 10 MHz FDD in total.  The two other unpaired 5 MHz blocks in the WCS 2300 MHz band are not part of band 30.

AJ

No, it is not -- 15 MHz FDD is not possible.  Are you operating on just your own assumptions here?

Band 30 is 10 MHz FDD in total.  The two other unpaired 5 MHz blocks in the WCS 2300 MHz band are not part of band 30.

AJ

WCS Spectrum goes from 2305-2320, and 2345-2360. Feel free to look it up yourself... or just read the image below.

bandplan11.jpg

or this one:

wcs.gif

or even this one, from the FCC itself:

wcs.png

Currently, B30 only covers 10 MHz of spectrum for LTE access. I won't argue with you about that. But I am not operating off of my own assumptions. If cleared by the FCC, AT&T could maybe ask for a sort of WCS-2, or Band 71.