Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Carroll\Lancaster has LTE again.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Are you experiencing drops to 3G in Lancaster? I live north of 161, which doesn't get any 800mhz service. Because of no 'backup band' to hand off to when on (fringe) LTE signal, my service drops. I've experienced it on every tower north of 161, and no matter how many calls I make to Care, they refuse to acknowledges that there is a problem nor has it been resolved.
  • Like 1

For a few days I was getting no LTE at the Carroll location where I also got LTE. Now it's back. Maybe they were messing with it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Can you do a speed test or give any more info on your local towers?

If you read The Wall on the front page of S4GRU, you will note that some towers in Columbus on B25 are transmitting 10x10, which is basically like a double connection. Assuming you are on B25 at the time of the speed test, if you get above 37MB/s, that tower may have gone 10x10. We don't have anyone reporting in your neck of the woods, so anything you post is appreciated. This is also a good time to remind you of the plethora of info you get for 6 month at a time with a $10+ dontation..... And even more once you have donated $100 total or more.

Trust me, as a cheap bastard, it's worth every penny to geek out on :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Easton mall area must have had some work done cause my data is just zipping by it wasn't this good before. This speed test proves it. I can't wait until I get a CA device! 7373926b188de924297efef4f5dd7f0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by derrph
  • Like 2

The Easton mall area must have had some work done cause my data is just zipping by it wasn't this good before. This speed test proves it. I can't wait until I get a CA device! 7373926b188de924297efef4f5dd7f0a.jpg

Where at in Easton?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Where at in Easton?

I was by the Cheesecake Factory. Even when I was getting on the freeway to 670I still busted out 35 up.

Edited by derrph
  • Like 1

I was by the Cheesecake Factory. Even when I was getting on the freeway to 670I still busted out 35 up.

lately that area has been having no service about 2am every day for the past week or so

derrph, on 22 Aug 2015 - 6:41 PM, said:

I think you're connecting to band 41 at that range, since it's located at the Hilton. I work at Chase at Easton and we do not get band 41 in my location due to several big buildings being in the way, so the speeds are not nearly that great.

Actually, you may be on to something. Just ran a Speedtest and I got 7 down, normally my speeds have been in 1.5-2.5 down. I'm at -119 dbon band 25 here, 41 can't reach me here.

Edited by andycapps

The Easton mall area must have had some work done cause my data is just zipping by it wasn't this good before. This speed test proves it. I can't wait until I get a CA device!

Yeah, how about we do not run too many more e-penis speed tests when the network just transparently works?  As your screenshot shows, you just needlessly pumped 87 MB through the network.  Do that repeatedly, then multiply it by many others doing the same, and those 87 MB speed tests are reducing available capacity for everyone.

An occasional speed test out of curiosity is fine.  But do not make a habit out of running speed tests.  The amounts of data that they consume are growing insane.

AJ

Yeah, how about we do not run too many more e-penis speed tests when the network just transparently works? As your screenshot shows, you just needlessly pumped 87 MB through the network. Do that repeatedly, then multiply it by many others doing the same, and those 87 MB speed tests are reducing available capacity for everyone.

An occasional speed test out of curiosity is fine. But do not make a habit out of running speed tests. The amounts of data that they consume are growing insane.

AJ

On my way to do my speed test at Easton around 2p....Need to make sure it works!

• Like 2

Yeah, how about we do not run too many more e-penis speed tests when the network just transparently works? As your screenshot shows, you just needlessly pumped 87 MB through the network. Do that repeatedly, then multiply it by many others doing the same, and those 87 MB speed tests are reducing available capacity for everyone.

An occasional speed test out of curiosity is fine. But do not make a habit out of running speed tests. The amounts of data that they consume are growing insane.

AJ

I rarely do them. That day I was on FaceTime and it didn't skip a beat like it normally would in that area. So I had to see so I ran a quick test and that was the reason why it was butter smooth.

• Like 2

I rarely do them. That day I was on FaceTime and it didn't skip a beat like it normally would in that area. So I had to see so I ran a quick test and that was the reason why it was butter smooth.

And that is fine -- it is an infrequent speed test out of curiosity/diagnosis.  I do like that the Ookla Speedtest app is now showing the data used.  Some people on "unlimited" data will not care, will continue to mash the speed test button, and that is sad.  But the amounts of data used may give more conscientious users pause, realizing that they may be contributing to less available capacity and slower speeds for everyone.

AJ

And that is fine -- it is an infrequent speed test out of curiosity/diagnosis. I do like that the Ookla Speedtest app is now showing the data used. Some people on "unlimited" data will not care, will continue to mash the speed test button, and that is sad. But the amounts of data used may give more conscientious users pause, realizing that they may be contributing to less available capacity and slower speeds for everyone.

AJ

I agree but what's the point is doing speed tests all day long? What are people getting out of it.

I agree but what's the point is doing speed tests all day long? What are people getting out of it.

I do not understand it either.  But some people think that they are furthering the cause and educating others by running repeated speed tests, showing off impressive speeds or shaming slow speeds.  The anachronism of "unlimited" data has enabled this speed test bad behavior.  People who actually pay for the amounts of data they use do not waste much on unnecessary speed tests.

AJ

• Like 1

I do not understand it either. But some people think that they are furthering the cause and educating others by running repeated speed tests, showing off impressive speeds or shaming slow speeds. The anachronism of "unlimited" data has enabled this speed test bad behavior. People who actually pay for the amounts of data they use do not waste much on unnecessary speed tests.

AJ

They really don't. I think the main people who pound that button all day are tech heads who undying love for this stuff. I showed my friend that screen shot of these speeds and he said what does that mean I don't understand it. That right there proves the point that the average person don't care as long as they can do they need to do on their phone. But there are people who are speed obsessed and live by that app.

I do not understand it either. But some people think that they are furthering the cause and educating others by running repeated speed tests, showing off impressive speeds or shaming slow speeds. The anachronism of "unlimited" data has enabled this speed test bad behavior. People who actually pay for the amounts of data they use do not waste much on unnecessary speed tests.

AJ

Did you know that TMo encourages speedtests, so much so that it doesn't count against your data? And you can even do it on an unactivated SIM.

What makes Sprint different so much so that you're saying it is killing the network?

For the record, I'm on an unlimited Sprint plan. I used 3GB of data last cycle, of which 1.24GB was speedtests (600MB of that was from 1 tower in a 5 min period).

• Like 1

Did you know that TMo encourages speedtests, so much so that it doesn't count against your data? And you can even do it on an unactivated SIM.

Did you know that the T-Mobile "data strong" network speeds have been declining, have not looked so pretty in recent RootMetrics results? Maybe whitelisting speed tests and violating the spirit of Net Neutrality with "Music Freedom" is coming home to roost.

What makes Sprint different so much so that you're saying it is killing the network?

That is hyperbole. And I ask that you stop it. I never said "killing" the network. Do not ascribe to me extreme viewpoints that I do not state.

For the record, I'm on an unlimited Sprint plan. I used 3GB of data last cycle, of which 1.24GB was speedtests (600MB of that was from 1 tower in a 5 min period).

Well, in your 1.24 GB worth of speed tests, you effectively put two more of me on the network last month -- because I trend around 600-700 MB of on network data usage per month.  So, for an analogy, start occasionally but simultaneously driving three cars instead of one.  Have hundreds or thousands of other people in your area do likewise.  Then, tell me that highway congestion will not increase.

"Unlimited" data needs to be priced appropriately or die a fiery death.  Otherwise, it just invites misuse.

AJ

I will add this addendum.  If you want to pay for a 3 GB tiered data plan and use almost half of it for speed tests, more power to you.  That is your choice.

AJ

He pays for unlimited.... Why does he need a 3gb tiered plan?

His monthly usage is low, not everyone has the luxury to be on WiFi all the time like some people!

• Like 2

I have a tiered plan. Lots of times I have lots of data left over on it so when I'm near the end of the month, I can burn a few speed tests to see how VZW is doing here. But yeah, using Ookla on a provider with no white list makes you think twice about it.

Part of me wonders if speed test isn't pushed to the front of the data line.

I know the weather got cool but I didn't know it was cold enough for the elves er trolls. Geez really? Do you tick off every little byte on your bill to make sure you didn't waste any data?

I think it brings up a greater transparency as to how much data is wasted on frivolous speed tests. When I'm on the train, I want to enjoy Youtube without buffering because some jackhole is showing off his e-peen speeds by running speedtests again and again.

• Like 1

I think it brings up a greater transparency as to how much data is wasted on frivolous speed tests. When I'm on the train, I want to enjoy Youtube without buffering because some jackhole is showing off his e-peen speeds by running speedtests again and again.

I'll just say that whatever I'm using my paid for data to do at the time is my business as long as I'm not breaking any laws. It's what is important to me at the time. Nobody has any business telling me what I can or can't do with something that I've paid for. On principle alone you have it wrong. It's like buying a sandwich, but only allowed to eat half because there are starving people in the world.

• Like 4