Tracfone to offer SmartSIM to dynamically switch carriers?

bigsnake49

It's nothing new, after all GoogleFi has been offering a similar service for a while now (I actually had it for a little while). But GoogleFi has not been advertised or promoted much and you always worry that it will be become abandonware. Tracfone is the nation's largest MVNO at approximately 21M. They have MVNO agreements with all four carriers (3 after April 1). Google had to build their own core so Tracfone is probably doing something similar. They also had to build a line of phones with special firmware (Nexus and Pixel). I know that Apple also took some patents out detailing their approach. I think it is exciting that somebody like Tracfone is following in Google's footsteps.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/tracfone-prepares-a-nationwide-smartsim-program

Edited by bigsnake49

In theory you can end up with the best service this way.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Went to Rolling Loud NYC at Citi Field this weekend. Over 60,000 people in attendance. Verizon is a sponsor of the festival this year so naturally they had a ton of COWs set up at the festival. I counted at least 4. As a result, they were virtually the only carrier consistently able to provide a data connection. I didn't see any Verizon 5G, only LTE. T-Mobile on the other hand was a very interesting experience. I was seeing an eNB 331804 which I'm 99% sure is a COW. They also seems to be doing some sort of traffic management because I noticed that if I left my phone idle in my pocket, it would drop down to No Service/SOS or sometimes it would sit on EDGE. But the second that I needed to send a text, make a call, or even use Twitter my phone would switch over to LTE or 5G to complete the task. In an active data session, my phone would constantly flip between Band 2, Band 66, and Band 41. Sometimes, I'd catch myself on the COW and other times I'd get pushed over to eNB 875868, the relatively new Sprint conversion nearby. The network moved at a snails pace though. Where Verizon took about 15 seconds to load Twitter or send a pic, T-Mobile could take up to a minute to complete the same task. Here's some photos of the COWs I spotted. I think that the first two are Verizon and the one in the distance in the third pic is T-Mobile's single COW, not nearly enough for an event that size.  
    • @dkyeager has written up an article for The Wall on the Auction:   Robert
    • You need to have Wi-Fi Calling enabled and also have made at least one phone call over Wi-Fi Calling prior to using the inflight Wi-Fi.
    • See this page: https://www.sprint.com/en/support/in-flight-texting-wi-fi.html Also see the FAQ’s here: https://www.t-mobile.com/benefits/travel/in-flight-wifi “How do I access In-Flight Connection?”