Obama Administration Directs FCC To Force Carriers To Unlock All Mobile Devices

DaQue

I found this interesting.

Obama Administration Directs FCC To Force Carriers To Unlock All Mobile Devices
Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - by Seth Colaner

The Obama administration is pushing for change in this regard. The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) has filed a petition with the FCC that would require any wireless service provider to unlock a mobile device upon request so that the device’s owner could use it with a different provider if desired--with no fee.

Link:

http://hothardware.com/News/Obama-Administration-Directs-FCC-To-Force-Carriers-To-Unlock-All-Mobile-Devices/

• Like 7

This is great, but it would only address half the problem. There's still the issue of whether a carrier will accept that unlocked phone on to their network. Can't really do that with Sprint (or USCC, I believe) unless you do an ESN swap, and others like VZW only allow certain phones with their prepaid plans. At least all the GSM carriers don't seem to have a problem with BYOD.

The best part of this is that I don't believe the proposed rule distinguishes between domestic and international GSM unlocks, so it looks like the days of Sprint artificially blocking access to domestic GSM networks even after otherwise unlocking the device are numbered.

What does ohio have to do with it?

Do not scratch that itch.  Rest assured, it has to do with partisan politics.

AJ

• Like 1