AT&T continues 4G LTE expansion by early summer

ericdabbs

It appears that AT&T is not letting off the gas pedal in expanding their LTE footprint with 11 more markets in an attempt to catch up with Verizon. It is surprising that AT&T is focusing on mostly smaller markets with the exception of Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Saint Louis.

I like Sprint's approach of focusing on larger markets first to get those customers happy and then refocus on more smaller markets. It will be curious to see if Sprint can catch up to AT&T in terms of LTE footprint but I can't see this happening until 2013 if they ever do.

Is AT&T making a mistake here by focusing on more smaller markets when places like Seattle, Portland, Philladelphia, Denver, etc have not yet been covered by LTE? Discuss.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/12/atandt-continues-4g-lte-expansion-plans-to-light-up-eleven-market/

Maybe att feel as if hspa can hold over alot of larger markets until they can get lte to those cities. I know that here in Jacksonville Florida att is doing work on all their cell sites maybe lte is coming soon.

There may be some reasoning to that. Although I'm not familiar with AT&T's coverage in it's different flavors, they could be targeting markets that have not had any upgrades to the network and bringing them up to speed before hitting the established ones that already have HSPA and HSPA+.

I just hope that Sprint is picking at big markets that AT&T has not covered and trying to captures those markets for those that are frustrated with not having service before they head to Verizon. Unfortunately Verizon has such a huge lead over AT&T and Sprint that any customer looking for LTE service will defer to Verizon before Sprint has a chance to get them.