Congress starts bill requiring "Carrier IQ" like monitoring to be disclosed up front to the customer

pyroscott

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 31 January 2012

Most of us know all about "Carrier IQ" the software that started a public outcry that caused carriers like Sprint to not only stop collecting data with it, but also ask its manufacturers to issue updates to remove the software completely. Whatever we thought of it, I'm sure most of us are glad that it is vanishing. Congress has drafted a bill that will prevent anything like this from sneaking up on us again.

Here's what the bill would require:

• Monitoring software must be disclosed when a person buys a mobile phone, and also after the sale if any party decides to install monitoring software after the fact.
  • App makers that include monitoring software must also disclose it.
  • All disclosures must say whether the monitoring software has been installed, and detail the type of information collected, where it's going, and how it will be used.
  • Consumers must give their consent before monitoring or data transfer takes place.
  • Those who receive data must be able to secure it.
  • Data sharing agreements have to be filed with the FTC and FCC.

This bill has a long road to pass before it becomes law, but it's good to see that our elected officials are taking action to protect our privacy.

Minnesota Senator told the Verge "the default for collecting any kind of personal data should be opt-in consent," and that "we have a fundamental right to know what information is being collected about us and who it is shared with."

For more on this click here

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Mike if you need more Dish data, I have been hunting down sites in western Columbus.  So far just n70 and n71 reporting although I CA all three.
    • Good catch! I meant 115932/119932. Edited my original post I've noticed the same thing lately and have just assumed that they're skipping it now because they're finally able to deploy mmWave small cells.
    • At some point over the weekend, T-Mobile bumped the Omaha metro from 100+40 to 100+90 of n41! That's a pretty large increase from what we had just a few weeks ago when we were sitting at 80+40Mhz. Out of curiosity, tested a site on my way to work and pulled 1.4Gpbs. That's the fastest I've ever gotten on T-Mobile! For those that know Omaha, this was on Dodge street in Midtown so not exactly a quiet area!
    • Did you mean a different site? eNB ID 112039 has been around for years. Streetview even has it with C-band back in 2022 - https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7303042,-73.9610924,3a,24.1y,18.03h,109.66t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s2ossx06yU56AYOzREdcK-g!2e0!5s20220201T000000!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D2ossx06yU56AYOzREdcK-g%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.share%26w%3D900%26h%3D600%26yaw%3D18.027734930682684%26pitch%3D-19.664180274382204%26thumbfov%3D90!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205410&entry=ttu Meanwhile, Verizon's eNB 84484 in Fort Greene has been updated to include C-band and CBRS, but not mmWave. I've seen this a few times now on updated Verizon sites where it's just the CBRS antenna on its own, not in a shroud and without mmWave. Odd.