All phones on my account have a ring delay of 5 rings "network Vision blamed of course"

I use to be a tech for Sprint. Any techs are engineers able to look at this?

I have 4 phones in North Richland Hills "Tarrant County" 76180  that are all missing calls.  It is Monday June 10th 2013 2:12am. Noticed the issue as of Friday June 7th about 10am.  I use Google voice on all 4 phones. I thought that was the issue till i removed Google voice. Even had one phone number changed thinking it was a server issue with the hand off of calls. Low and behold that didn't correct issue. A network ticket supposedly was put in, although i have no trust in Sprint at this moment. This is crazy. All  4 of my phones ring 5 times before i am alerted even once.  Come on Sprint! 4 different phones missing calls.  Note 2, S2, Evo3D, Nexus  ....Phones have been reset, updated, manual reset network, MDN and MSID changed, drove to another tower area to eliminate tower issue, google voice deleted "although all Google voice accounts totally separate accounts so its not Google", last phone number changed on one phone.  Still 5 rings before i hear any of the 4 phones ring.  Hour on the phone with tech support. Prompted to go to store then i realized all the phones had a delay and missing calls. Network ticket created zip code 76180. Suppose to hear from someone within 24 hrs. "The ticket was closed no outage"  Very dissatisfied. Every one at sprint is at a lost on what to do.  Of course the last thing they do is blame it on upgrades. Hate to see what happens on rainy days.

Anyone's knowledge would be greatly apreciated. Cross street for me is Harwood and Grapevine Hwy

Edited by dallasfever

Sounds to me like you've gone through pretty much everything.

If a network ticket was opened and actually closed by a network engineer for no issue, I'm inclined to believe it. I think I read that you were in different areas and got the same issue, so it wouldn't be a specific tower, and not the physical phone obviously since it's happening on 4 of them. You ruled out Google Voice, really the only thing left is something with your account. I would have said MSID change but you listed that too, are you sure the MSID was actually changed (i.e. you seeing the before/after in the phone's about screen)?

It is possible the MSC is having an issue, but that would likely show up automatically even with the legacy equipment.

Is there another Sprint customer you know in your area that you can see if they have the same issues?

I can only come up with something being screwy on your entire account, it would affect all your phones, but not anyone else, it would not show up to the network engineers since it isn't tower-related, and would stay in place despite all phone resets and programming. Usually an MSID change would fix those issues though since it requires the system to rebuild the subscription structure on the back end automatically.

I believe it has something to do with the slot index cycle which we can no longer change. Basically that is how long it takes between each time the phone asks the tower if there is a call waiting. I used to lower my slot index cycle to one but I can no longer change it.

Ok Issue is fixd this morning after blasting every outlet i could with my topic. 3 days no one knew what was wrong.

halcyoncmdr you hit the nail right on the spot with the account. I tried to get them to create a new account and they had no idea how to do that. I could only think it must be the account, something in the back end that cant be seen. So i wanted all my phones transferred to a brand new account.  Luckily after no success yesterday somehow someone fixed the issue today.

TheForce627 Yea if it was a GSM i could still change ring delay. What happened in this case i have no idea.  I posted my issue to so many boards, i dont if that got the ball rolling or me calling 6-7 times in one day got the ball rolling. I wish i knew what they did but know one has called.

I will update this topic if i hear from Sprint.

Thank yall for your expertise!

Glad to hear it's fixed. Wish I knew what caused it however, would be good to know. Maybe you just happened to get in contact with someone who knew what the issues was from experience (something uncommon in a call center, average employee turn around is 6 months). That issue isn't exactly common and likely to be covered in standard training

Slot Cycles can be adjusted if you have the right info, keep in mind it it setup at 2 by default to balance customer experience and network load. By decreasing your slot cycle you double the amount of load you put on the tower's paging channel from your phone while idle, since it will be checking for a new call/message twice as often. Slot cycles run at 1.28sec at a setting of 0 and add for each increase in cycle. So a slot cycle of 2 would result in your phone checking every 5.12 seconds for a new message or call.This can potentially result in a maximum of 6.3 seconds delay if your device checked immediately before the call started ringing on the network side.

This is extremely unlikely, and would not be consistent however. Most calls would fall to within a couple of seconds on average.

Slot Cycles can be adjusted if you have the right info, keep in mind it it setup at 2 by default to balance customer experience and network load. By decreasing your slot cycle you double the amount of load you put on the tower's paging channel from your phone while idle, since it will be checking for a new call/message twice as often.

A few thoughts...

Your slot cycle indices are correct. A slot cycle index 2 indicates a handset wake cycle every 5.12 seconds, while a slot cycle index 0 is every 1.28 seconds. But that is a wake and "listen" to the paging channel cycle, so it does not increase network loading -- unless the device also needs to respond on the access channel. What it does do, though, is decrease incoming call and messaging latency at the expense of standby battery life.

Additionally, you can try to change your slot cycle index setting. But the network is free to override it, and slot cycle index 2 is almost always the network mandated default. So, any change in setting will likely yield no actual change.

AJ

A few thoughts...

Your slot cycle indices are correct. A slot cycle index 2 indicates a handset wake cycle every 5.12 seconds, while a slot cycle index 0 is every 1.28 seconds. But that is a wake and "listen" to the paging channel cycle, so it does not increase network loading -- unless the device also needs to respond on the access channel. What it does do, though, is decrease incoming call and messaging latency at the expense of standby battery life.

Additionally, you can try to change your slot cycle index setting. But the network is free to override it, and slot cycle index 2 is almost always the network mandated default. So, any change in setting will likely yield no actual change.

AJ

When I was able to change mine back when I had the evo 3d I definitely noticed a difference. Anybody willing to provide info on how to change it on the gs4

When I was able to change mine back when I had the evo 3d I definitely noticed a difference.

Noticing a difference is not legitimate proof of anything in this regard.  Placebo effect can be very strong.  So, you would need to show before and after screenshots of your slot cycle index setting, demonstrating that the network did not override your setting.

AJ

Noticing a difference is not legitimate proof of anything in this regard.  Placebo effect can be very strong.  So, you would need to show before and after screenshots of your slot cycle index setting, demonstrating that the network did not override your setting.

AJ

Oh I ran plenty of tests and the time was reduced....I can give u a screenshot of my evo 3d if u want. It never changed my slot index setting back to two

You know what's interesting, I had this same issue with my phone and my wife's phone not ringing for at least 30 seconds when called. We were having that issue all last week, but only when we were at home. It seemed to get fixed a couple of days ago so I guess in my case it was an issue with whatever tower we were connected to.