Department of Defense Spectrum Sharing Pact

4GHoward

It was announced that AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile forged a pact with the Department of Defense to explore the possibility of sharing 95 MHz of spectrum located in the 1755 - 1850 MHz band. It looks like Sprint didn't got involve with the pact. I wonder how this will impact wireless competition.

Source: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/att-verizon-t-mobile-forge-pact-explore-spectrum-sharing-government/2013-01-31

At least the lower 25 MHz of this spectrum will likely be paired with 2155-2180 MHz to form the AWS-3 band -- essentially, an extension of the existing AWS-1 band. So, this spectrum makes the most sense for T-Mobile and VZW, since they are the most heavily invested in AWS. I doubt that Sprint will be a major player, if at all.

AJ

• Like 2

At least the lower 25 MHz of this spectrum will likely be paired with 2155-2180 MHz to form the AWS-3 band -- essentially, an extension of the existing AWS-1 band. So, this spectrum makes the most sense for T-Mobile and VZW, since they are the most heavily invested in AWS. I doubt that Sprint will be a major player, if at all.

AJ

I'm a major supporter of Sprint's efforts to get as much PCS spectrum as possible by hook or by crook including acquiring Metro and Leap and trading their AWS spectrum for PCS.