VZW PRLs and data speeds

Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this. I posted at XDA but I figure there's more network knowledge here.

I was having some really horrible data and signal problems so I decided to swap prls. Loaded up the hacked 00002 and waited for the reboot. I had full bars again so ran a speedtest. Went from dialup speeds and timeouts to a consistent 1000kbps. I'm not using roam control just the prl.

Every network app I try shows im on sprint connected to the same tower about 1/2 mile away. I thought it could have been a fluke so I went back to 60690. Back to the same slow data on the same tower. I confirmed this with my gfs phone, an e3d on 21090.

This doesn't make any sense to me at all. Everything stayed the same except prl and the passage of time.

I was under the impression that without roam control the phone would still prefer Sprint. And that the 00002.prl only added the ability to roam on on Vzw 3g.

How long does it take for Sprint to show roaming usage on the website? There isn't any listed on my account. I remember long ago getting the bill for voice roaming months after the fact. I don't pay attention anymore so I don't know if it still takes time to make it through billing.

I was under the impression that without roam control the phone would still prefer Sprint. And that the 00002.prl only added the ability to roam on on Vzw 3g.

How long does it take for Sprint to show roaming usage on the website? There isn't any listed on my account. I remember long ago getting the bill for voice roaming months after the fact. I don't pay attention anymore so I don't know if it still takes time to make it through billing.

Obviously if you load a vzw prl it is going to use vzw towers.

Someone went in and edited the roaming indicator on every record. Your phone doesn't think it is Roaming. Doesn't matter to Sprint though. They are still being charged.

The carriers name doesn't come from the tower. It is in your phone so that's why the tower apps show sprint. You can actually change this to whatever you want.

Look at the SID you are on and go to www.batonrougebroadband.info and click on a PRL full analysis and do a search on that Page for that SID and I bet it won't be a sprint one.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Thank you guys, I think I get it now. I'm pretty knowledgeable but some inconsistent wording had me confused.

Shouldn't sprint show some roaming data usage though? I've been using the prl since the 14th my new month started the 15th. Sprint shows 650MB on network and only 18KB roaming.

My roaming usage sometimes takes days to show up. You will burn through 300MB quickly if you stay on that PRL.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

The carriers name doesn't come from the tower. It is in your phone so that's why the tower apps show sprint. You can actually change this to whatever you want.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Yep' date=' that's why my network shows up as this...

[img']http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/pyroscott/Screenshot_2012-09-17-22-25-25.png[/img]

• Like 11

• 10 months later...

I flashed the 00002 PRL but my speeds are pretty much the same (300-700 kbps). Could it be that Verizon 3G is just as bad as Sprint in Pittsburgh? I find it hard to believe. And I did try it in multiple different locations within Pittsburgh. Am I doing something wrong? I verified that I am in fact on the 00002 PRL by going to my "About Phone" menu. 

I flashed the 00002 PRL but my speeds are pretty much the same (300-700 kbps). Could it be that Verizon 3G is just as bad as Sprint in Pittsburgh? I find it hard to believe. And I did try it in multiple different locations within Pittsburgh. Am I doing something wrong? I verified that I am in fact on the 00002 PRL by going to my "About Phone" menu.

If you need Verizon all the time, then get Verizon service.

That's not helpful but OK. I'm just waiting for my contract to be up. 

Bye bye...

AJ

• Like 1