Signal Strength Question

Feech

I'm wondering if someone can answer this for me in regards to Sprint. What exactly is the reason my phone will have -120db in some areas and -60db in others? Is it distance to a tower? is it line of site? is it a combination of the two?

Second when and where did Sprint go wrong or if they did even go wrong? Was it the smartphone explosion? Was it something else regarding the network. What happened that I went from pretty good service to what I have now? I have always had spotty service over the years but overall it worked so I'm just want to know what happened over the years..The more technical the better..

I'm wondering if someone can answer this for me in regards to Sprint. What exactly is the reason my phone will have -120db in some areas and -60db in others? Is it distance to a tower? is it line of site? is it a combination of the two?

Correct. At typical cellular frequencies, path loss is a function of both distance (inverse square law) and obstruction to line of sight.

AJ

Second when and where did Sprint go wrong or if they did even go wrong? Was it the smartphone explosion?

Yes, that is part of my theory. Here is the thumbnail sketch. Sprint deeded the WiMAX buildout to Clearwire. Clearwire got in financial trouble and could not complete its buildout. Meanwhile, smartphone adoption/usage exploded. And the Sprint EV-DO network could not cope with the demand, much of which was expected to be offloaded to WiMAX.

AJ