Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Drove by a tower in Mount Sterling, OH. There wwas a guy there on my way to work... Had to come back to Columbus for something... guy was still there.... went back down to Washington Court House... guy was still there...Last I looked, the tower already had the new cabinets and RRU's. I couldn't tell if backhaul was ran or not. I am thinking this tower is getting ready to go 800. We'll see. This is the tower on Anderson-Antioch Road. I think I will have time to check more towers in Madison, Fayette and Pickaway counties tomorrow. I want to today BUT I am throwing my drivers a cookout.

Not sure if anyone had reported on this one yet, but this is a nearby tower that I noticed today happened to get some additions! It's the tower on the far south end of Brice Rd near Northbend Dr. No backhaul, and I can't tell if there are cabinets or not (can only see one side of the site, and there's a big shed in the fence). :/

If they turn it and the one near Diley on 800 then I could probably put the airave to sleep.

Also, here is a confirmation of this site. I wasn't actively looking for it so I want able to go to any engineering screens. I caught this on OH-38 I'm Fayette County surprisingly.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Edit: Just realized that the 800 cut out before I took the screen shot... haha. It is putting out 800 though.

uploadfromtaptalk1377715236914.jpg

Edited by james2oo4

If they turn it and the one near Diley on 800 then I could probably put the airave to sleep.

I'm a little too far for the Diley one, but give me the Bowen Rd one and I'll be happy. I was out at Skyline in Canal for lunch and was getting two bars from a tower way down between Winchester Southern and Cedar Hill Rd, just north of Alspach. That's some distance, and it wasn't even 800 (the 1x engineering said band 1, chan 350 I think). It had a 5 digit BID, though.

What band would 800 typically show?  I have iPhone and don't have the cool signal check pro like you fellers..

It's band 10. I'm just waiting patiently for that, Band 25, Band 26 and Band 41.

On the sites running 800 around some of our area, can't be sure about all areas, the NID is 204 and the BSL or BSSID is a 5 digit number instead of 4 digits or 3 in some cases. The other thing was band class 10 but I don't know how that shows on an iphone. If you see a NID of 35 then you're on PCS.

So, what should I look for exactly?

fieldtest.jpg

Besides an Android smartphone?  :lol:

Scroll down some more on that page. I don't remember exactly where it's at on an iPhone if even possible.

• Like 2

The System ID will be 224xx for Sprint 800SMR.  On the Iphone5 though you'll have to be in an area/building where there is absolutely no PCS signal.  It's set as a lower priority than the PCS band.  So while you are connected to 800SMR your phone will actively look for that PCS signal and try to use it if it can.

The System ID will be 224xx for Sprint 800SMR. On the Iphone5 though you'll have to be in an area/building where there is absolutely no PCS signal. It's set as a lower priority than the PCS band. So while you are connected to 800SMR your phone will actively look for that PCS signal and try to use it if it can.

Ahhh thanks

So uh! Looks like amcferrin90 is trying to run off with RRH/CAB Confirmations. Y'all going to let him do it?

RRH/CAB Confirmations

Accept Report 61

amcferrin90 13

COZisBack 12

csujjhoov 3

james2oo4 2

kineticman 2

Oakley707 2

Grand Total 95

• Like 1

So uh! Looks like amcferrin90 is trying to run off with RRH/CAB Confirmations. Y'all going to let him do it?

RRH/CAB Confirmations

Accept Report 61

amcferrin90 13

COZisBack 12

csujjhoov 3

james2oo4 2

kineticman 2

Oakley707 2

Grand Total 95

No worries my man... I am going to be getting on the ball here very very soon. Maybe as soon as tonight...if I can get away from my damn job... haha

• Like 1

fieldtest.jpg

It will look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/zEKQaOk.png

Just realize that this was taken at 15,000 in the air while flying over Ft. Wayne, IN; Unless you have a jailbroken iPhone and have the knowledge to load an edited PRL, the only time you'll connect to SMR is when there is no PCS available.  For the record, I really hope that Sprint pushes out a stock PRL that matches the Android devices (SMR is at same priority level as PCS) because there are MANY areas where PCS is so weak that my phone is basically useless, but SMR would work perfectly fine.

It will look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/zEKQaOk.png

Just realize that this was taken at 15,000 in the air while flying over Ft. Wayne, IN; Unless you have a jailbroken iPhone and have the knowledge to load an edited PRL, the only time you'll connect to SMR is when there is no PCS available. For the record, I really hope that Sprint pushes out a stock PRL that matches the Android devices (SMR is at same priority level as PCS) because there are MANY areas where PCS is so weak that my phone is basically useless, but SMR would work perfectly fine.

And that's still not going to help much. It would have to lose PCS or have already been on SMR to begin with. Unless of course you have a PRL with 800smr set higher. But then of course you could be on fringe there too with a perfect PCS signal nearby. You just never know.

And that's still not going to help much. It would have to lose PCS or have already been on SMR to begin with. Unless of course you have a PRL with 800smr set higher. But then of course you could be on fringe there too with a perfect PCS signal nearby. You just never know.

The only time I've ever picked up SMR on the stock iPhone PRL is when I was on an airplane (and PCS wasn't available), whereas I've seen many times when an Android would lock onto 800 while still within a PCS covered (albeit weak) area...and no Digi, this doesn't need to go down the Apple sucks, Android's awesome path ;) , I'm just saying it's frustrating that the iPhone's PRL puts SMR at such a low priority.

The only time I've ever picked up SMR on the stock iPhone PRL is when I was on an airplane (and PCS wasn't available), whereas I've seen many times when an Android would lock onto 800 while still within a PCS covered (albeit weak) area...and no Digi, this doesn't need to go down the Apple sucks, Android's awesome path ;) , I'm just saying it's frustrating that the iPhone's PRL puts SMR at such a low priority.

Wooahh.. Wasn't even going to go there. One could say the same thing about the other devices that have the 800SMR setup as the same priority.

It does take a signal loss or forced PRL update to get the Android device to rescan for 800SMR.

Wooahh.. Wasn't even going to go there. One could say the same thing about the other devices that have the 800SMR setup as the same priority.

It does take a signal loss or forced PRL update to get the Android device to rescan for 800SMR.

I didn't mean to imply you would go there, I was more joking around with what I know to be your strong allegiance to the Android platform.  

I would assume that when one enters a low PCS signal area, -100 for example, that the Android PRL would then scan and find a SMR signal and lock onto it; whereas the iPhone may do the same thing but then continue to try and find a PCS signal even if it is very weak (which is what I've experienced).  I don't have prevalent 800 around me now to really test this, but just basing my judgment on what I've read here.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread C-bus, just going off on a tangent here.

I didn't mean to imply you would go there, I was more joking around with what I know to be your strong allegiance to the Android platform.  

I would assume that when one enters a low PCS signal area, -100 for example, that the Android PRL would then scan and find a SMR signal and lock onto it; whereas the iPhone may do the same thing but then continue to try and find a PCS signal even if it is very weak (which is what I've experienced).  I don't have prevalent 800 around me now to really test this, but just basing my judgment on what I've read here.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread C-bus, just going off on a tangent here.

No allegiance or loyalty to any OS, just have a strong allegiance to any OS that allows choice and for people to make their phones theirs and do with whatever they want since it is their device. 

I'm writing my next segment to the PRL article series which will cover a lot of this but no, a phone will not jump from one system to the next (PCS or SMR are separate) based on signal strength as long as one is useable.  There's no need for the phone to scan since it has acquired a signal and is in priority 0 already of the PRL.  So in some scenarios if the phone is idling on 800SMR and the user moves to the edge of the signal it could have a -102 1x signal and the legacy Sprint device user would be on the site across the street with a -60.  Just so many scenarios though.  The easiest thing to keep in mind is PRLs do not make any decisions based on the signal strength.  All based on the priority of the system set and if the signal can be acquired.

• Like 2

See that's where you're wrong. Sprint has these phones rigged to hold on to that -100 signal and hold out until it gets better or else! At my house when the power went out all around, my phone was hanging onto -117 and not switching to roam. That seemed like the point it gave up to the Roam Gods but to make a phone call was totally useless until it switched over.

RRH/CAB Confirmations

Accept Report 61

amcferrin90 13

COZisBack 12

csujjhoov 3

james2oo4 2

kineticman 2

Oakley707 2

Grand Total 95

Oh well wait, look at you!

going after the joker laugh.

Alright, here is my analysis of the Columbus Market.

Previously I stated that I thought that if a site isn't 3G accepted by now, that it wouldn't be 4G accepted by the end of the year. I'm changing my stance on this.

There are way too many and I mean WAY TOO MANY sites within the outerbelt that have all the equipment they need to be 3G accepted. Only thing holding them back would be fiber Ethernet a.k.a. back-haul.

So what's my new stance? Well here we go:

There will be 20-30 new LTE sites possibly even 35-40 accepted by the end of 2013 with 65% of them inside the outerbelt. The sites 4G accepted within the outerbelt will not be 3G accepted including 1x800. Once inside the outerbelt is going to be 3G accepted in January 2014, 95% of the sites will be activated within 3 days. This 3 days will include 1x800 being accepted simultaneously.

This stance is not supported by any inside source. I've just come to this conclusion by trend and patterns. I also believe there is no other market like ours in the country. There are Moto to Samsung markets, but theirs are not like ours. That can be good and that can be bad.

Alright peeps. Enjoy your afternoon.

• Like 5

Alright, here is my analysis of the Columbus Market.

Previously I stated that I thought that if a site isn't 3G accepted by now, that it wouldn't be 4G accepted by the end of the year. I'm changing my stance on this.

There are way too many and I mean WAY TOO MANY sites within the outerbelt that have all the equipment they need to be 3G accepted. Only thing holding them back would be fiber Ethernet a.k.a. back-haul.

So what's my new stance? Well here we go:

There will be 20-30 new LTE sites possibly even 35-40 accepted by the end of 2013 with 65% of them inside the outerbelt. The sites 4G accepted within the outerbelt will not be 3G accepted including 1x800. Once inside the outerbelt is going to be 3G accepted in January 2014, 95% of the sites will be activated within 3 days. This 3 days will include 1x800 being accepted simultaneously.

This stance is not supported by any inside source. I've just come to this conclusion by trend and patterns. I also believe there is no other market like ours in the country. There are Moto to Samsung markets, but theirs are not like ours. That can be good and that can be bad.

Alright peeps. Enjoy your afternoon.

Dear science I hope you're right

Coz, I could see you being right. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Sooner or later they have to start getting backhaul connected to these sites. And like you said, if they have everything but backhaul, they should have a lot ready to go.